Maple Grove - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Maple Grove - General Topics

Postby mplsjaromir » September 22nd, 2015, 8:07 am

I happened to be in this area last weekend. I saw thousands of automobiles, yet not one pedestrian. At no point did I did feel that this was a walkable urban area. Lots of fast moving high capacity roads and acres of parking.

This is a step up in design without a doubt, but you have to be very committed to not use a car in this environment.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: central park maple grove

Postby David Greene » September 22nd, 2015, 12:03 pm

Having just visited the area last weekend, I'll tell you for sure it's a lot easier (mentally and probably physically) to walk the commercial area on Main Street in Maple Grove than it is to get to the Walker from Lurcat or any residence on the park.
Yes, it's easy to walk Main Street, but how do most residents get there?

How about Loring Park to Nicollet Mall? Obviously the freeway is a huge problem. But MG's Main Street is surrounded by parking lots.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 22nd, 2015, 12:10 pm

I am speaking about the townhome and apartment developments in what is defined as the Gravel Mining Redevelopment Area.

[...]

While you sister may live in the area, it does not sound like they live in this immediate vicinity as I do. I live and work within this same area, so I think I have a clue as to what is and is not going on. As Nathan clearly has stated, it takes time and this is all a work in progress. You cannot magically build everything at once and expect it to be instantly diverse with mixed uses. See how long it took the various neighborhoods of Minneapolis to become what they are today?
From the get-go, my neighborhood was connected by streetcar. It was all built out in 10 years or less. The Arbor Lakes area has been under construction for what, 20 years at least? And they made the whole place auto-oriented.

Yes, this area in MG *could* be dense and urban (I wouldn't call the current plan particularly urban), but is it really the best use of our development and transportation dollars? If Bottineau were headed there I'd say yes, but your city council dropped the ball, so my answer is no. We should be doing this in Brooklyn Park and Eden Prairie, not putting more people on I-94 and MN-610.

gopherfan
Nicollet Mall

Postby gopherfan » November 22nd, 2019, 10:01 am

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 22nd, 2019, 10:51 am

LOL. Adding a road down the middle of a previoulsy pedestrian only space is "better." :lol:

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 22nd, 2019, 7:16 pm

Thanks Arbor Lakes, I hate it.

I hope someday the area can be a lot more pedestrian and biker friendly. My friend and I used to walk around there all the time and looking back on it I realize it wasn't the most pleasant experience, especially along Elm Creek Boulevard and crossing that car sewer.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 27th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Ryan and North Memorial proposing 550 units surrounding a health campus near 94 and 610.

http://www.startribune.com/ryan-north-m ... 567337712/

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 1st, 2021, 9:42 am

Shake Shack opening in Maple Grove, first in the nation to have a drive-thru

https://www.startribune.com/shake-shack ... 600122323/