Beltline Station Area – St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Beltline Station Area – St. Louis Park

Postby DanPatchToget » June 8th, 2019, 6:13 am

Here are a few screenshots from a SLP council study session packet about SWLRT updates. Noted are these images of the Cedar Lake Regional Trail Bridge over Beltline.
ImageSelected screenshots of Beltline trail bridge by Eric Anondson, on Flickr
Above, aerial image of the entire bridge in the current context. You can barely see the stairs on the other side coming down to the street level.

Above, looking up and to the south along Beltline.

Above, a view from the future development north of the Beltline Station. Showing a panorama in the distance of Excelsior and Grand on the left over to the waterpower on the right. Park36 stands out too.

Above: The view going up the bridge from the west.

Compare the current proposal at night (chain link fence, no lights), above.
Below, with the view at night of the debated "improve" bridge. The city will be discussing adding improvements like evening lights and replacing the chainlink fencing with sturdier and more attractive fencing.ImageSelected screenshots of Beltline trail bridge by Eric Anondson, on Flickr

I dunno, is it too late to *not* do the rail tunnels through Kenilworth and do a trail bridge like this instead? Save a hundred million? This bridge is about a quarter mile long. *shrug*
Super late commenting on this, but is Czech Railways going to be operating Southwest LRT? ;)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 10th, 2019, 7:28 pm

It feels like this could as well go here. Park Nicollet/Healthpartners received a donation to expand their eating disorders care clinics. Eventually paying for a fourth floor to be added to the Melrose Center at Belt Line Blvd and 36th/Monterey.

http://www.startribune.com/healthpartne ... 511094142/

I’ve imagined the larger mini-campus around the Melrose Center would be filled in with development someday.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » October 8th, 2019, 9:23 am

I thought this was interesting and the forum could be a place to get some ideas. Kenwood Gymnastics has been told their lease will end because the current building owner is looking to sell/redevelop the property. Kenwood would like to find/build a new facility nearby. From the owner:
It's been 9 years since we opened our doors. One of the things I am most proud of is the sense of community I feel in the gym. I am reaching out to our community for some help/input. Our landlords are planning on selling our building and we have been told we have only two years left on our lease. Thus, we are actively searching for a new location for our gym. I do not want to move farther than 1 mile from our current location. This makes things tough, since the reason we are losing our lease is there are plans to redevelop most of the available locations along the new light rail corridor.

At this time we are looking at three options:
1: Buy a lot and build our own gym
2: Buy an existing building and retrofit to our needs
3: Lease a gym space.

There are some restrictions we have on the buildings we are looking at. We want a space at least 18,000 square feet with ceiling height of 18 ft. We also must have 40 feet clear from support posts. This is the current span between support beams in our gym, which is not optimal, but we have made it work. We plan on digging pits for the gym, so this must be agreed to if we are leasing. Also, as mentioned earlier, I don't plan on moving more than 1 from our existing site, and the closer the better.

If you or people you know have any experience in real estate or know of any properties that might fit our needs please let me know. Also, feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 8th, 2019, 10:00 am

Their building is in a great spot for redevelopment.

Anondson
IDS Center

Beltline Station Area – St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » June 1st, 2021, 2:22 pm

Opus has a proposal across from Bass Lake Preserve, replacing a 1- and 2-level industrial warehouse.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... posal.html

It is the building Kenwood Gymnastics is leaving before they take over Roller Garden’s space.

5-story and 250 units. There will be commercial space. Could open in 2023, break ground in September.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 16th, 2021, 2:18 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 1st, 2021, 2:08 pm

Right down the street the next office over…

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -park.html

Seems like there will be development from the station right down to Excelsior and Grand

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » September 2nd, 2021, 8:40 am

Is that the old Comcast building?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 2nd, 2021, 9:51 am

It is!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 2nd, 2021, 3:15 pm

As long as I've been aware of SWLRT and planning/development in general, as well as being an Excelsior & Grand fanboy, I've believed that there needs to be more intentional thinking/planning for how to get folks from E&G to the station. At about 3/4-mile from the center of E&G (and not exactly direct), it's really only walkable for the most physically able and willing. And local buses that run less frequently than the train would not seem sufficient. It really seems like the perfect case for using those autonomous shuttle buses (Local Mile I think it was called?) that MnDOT demo'd when the Super Bowl was here. A short loop, serving E&G, Park Nicollet, and the station, would seem to get the job done. It's a unique need that demands fairly high frequency, but relatively low capacity per trip. An autonomous minibus would seem to check a lot of boxes to get it done.

That or heated, moving sidewalks ;)

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 3rd, 2021, 11:48 am

Belt Line is getting a 4-3 conversion which should help make it a more pleasant walking experience. Doesn't change the need for a transit connection, but it's a start.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 3rd, 2021, 12:41 pm

I’ve wished the superblocks here could be sliced divided up a little more, help disperse the driving, or give people not in cars ways to cross to the other side without going a long way around. Like a link between Park Glen and 35th St, or between 35th and 36th.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 7th, 2021, 10:01 am

The Opus proposal getting nearer. They bought the site. https://finance-commerce.com/2021/12/op ... -tod-site/

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » December 13th, 2021, 1:33 pm

The fence has already gone up around the building as of 12/09. They're moving quickly on this one.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2022, 7:53 am

Sherman proposes 400 units adjacent to the Belt Line station. Plus grocery store showing the “Grocery+Apartments” trend is still strong.

Might be the second grocery store along the SWLRT, with Whole Foods a block from the West Lake. Driscoll’s in downtown Hopkins is 5-6 blocks off so I’m kinda excluding it…

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... units.html

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 15th, 2022, 8:41 am

That's actually pretty cool as it looks like it was originally slated to just be a surface park and ride lot for the light rail

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » February 15th, 2022, 9:24 am

Sherman proposes 400 units adjacent to the Belt Line station. Plus grocery store showing the “Grocery+Apartments” trend is still strong.

Might be the second grocery store along the SWLRT, with Whole Foods a block from the West Lake. Driscoll’s in downtown Hopkins is 5-6 blocks off so I’m kinda excluding it…

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... units.html
From development page on city of SLP website: https://www.stlouispark.org/government/ ... evelopment

*7-story mixed-use building with 6 levels of market rate housing (156 units) and approximately 20,000 square feet of neighborhood commercial space, potentially anchored by a grocer.
*5-story market rate apartment building with 146 units.
*4-story all affordable apartment building with 82 units, 77 units will be available at 60% AMI and 5 units will be available at 30% AMI. 22 units will be 3-bedrooms.
*Approximate 600-stall, 6-story parking ramp, which is proposed to include 268 LRT park and ride stalls and approximately 1,800 square feet of retail/commercial space.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 15th, 2022, 10:37 am

From development page on city of SLP website: https://www.stlouispark.org/government/ ... evelopment

*7-story mixed-use building with 6 levels of market rate housing (156 units) and approximately 20,000 square feet of neighborhood commercial space, potentially anchored by a grocer.
*5-story market rate apartment building with 146 units.
*4-story all affordable apartment building with 82 units, 77 units will be available at 60% AMI and 5 units will be available at 30% AMI. 22 units will be 3-bedrooms.
*Approximate 600-stall, 6-story parking ramp, which is proposed to include 268 LRT park and ride stalls and approximately 1,800 square feet of retail/commercial space.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 15th, 2022, 10:45 am

Lost opportunity to not have a trail-link to the trail bridge for the residents. Very extended detour to get onto the trail to the Midtown Greenway, lakes, or bike commute to downtown (whenever that reopens some year)

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » February 15th, 2022, 5:51 pm

There will be stairs on Belt Line up to the bridge, but yes for ADA access it’ll be long.