Beltline Station Area – St. Louis Park

Twin Cities Suburbs
RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Re: Beltline Station Area – St. Louis Park

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 19th, 2017, 9:01 am

Am I the only person on the planet who thinks 180 residential units and a 4 story office building plus a coffee shop or whatever steps away from a LRT station with a 10 minute travel time to downtown barely qualifies as "TOD," and fine-grained urbanism be damned?

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » January 19th, 2017, 9:41 am

Well, there are thousands of jobs across the "death road." Of course it's not more than four stories, so it might not fit your fetish. To the south, just across the trail are hundreds of rental units. Not fine grained urbanism, but what superblock projects are nowadays?
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 19th, 2017, 10:38 am

The existence of all those other housing units and jobs is great! It's why these inner-burb stations and (SWLRT in general) aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. I don't have a fetish for anything, just saying that a nearly-vacant parcel literally seconds from a high-quality LRT station with very short, single-seat travel times to other very important parts of our region (and many more within a single transfer) should have much higher aspirations. There are 10- and 13-story residential towers by the Target. We've got 5-6 story apartment buildings along Excelsior (a place not slated to get any meaningful transit improvements). I'm saying the vision for this site is weak. If there isn't market demand for more then fine, let the planning commission and city council decide whether to approve a project that comes forward with less. But once anything is built here, it's sticking around for 50+ years.

I'm happy we're planning to accommodate nearly 200 residents right here. I'm happy they have affordability requirements built-in. I'm happy that office building can hold ~400 jobs. And yes, there are other developable parcels next to the station. A mild critique of the site plan is that the parking should be swapped with the residential building along the trail so we get better frontage and more convenient resident access to things N/S along Beltline. My broader point is wondering why (or, are we) we're limiting the massing on such a great site.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 11:11 am

Obviously single family homes on 2 acre lots would be a bad use of society's resources here (is it obvious? I hope it's obvious). This is a very expensive infrastructure investment and we need to make sure we maximize development to take advantage of it. 4 stories is what we put in neighborhood interiors blocks from a slow bus. It's not what we should be putting seconds away from very expensive fast transit that can take you downtown in 10 minutes.

If it's a fetish to want to take full advantage of this absurdly expensive transit project we're paying for, so be it.

alleycat
Landmark Center

Postby alleycat » January 19th, 2017, 11:24 am

Thanks, Peter. I'm perfectly fine with density. It comes in many forms. The thing is, what actually makes for good urban places is a diversity of uses, size of structure, architecture, etc.

Sure SLP should let the market decide what's best suited for the site within reason. If you look at the Arden Hills site, you will see that the developer decided that it should increase the density. It'll happen if this site is meant for larger development.

My comment was really a retort to posts like this and the 38th St station redevelopment that always ask for more. More density does not always equate to better buildings that fit their surroundings.
Scottie B. Tuska
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 19th, 2017, 11:30 am

I think some elements need an urbanist's polish. That turn off from CSAH 25 is far too curved and will get drivers coming off at unsafe high speeds past the front of the residences. I hope developers put attention on quality of the neighborhood this will be.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 19th, 2017, 12:01 pm

I would just like to say the people who believe buildings should fit in with their surroundings have more of a fetish for whatever type of building they want to go into a certain place than me. And they have nearly 100 years of regulatory power behind them. And that also this site has actual towers within walking distance (plus a bunch of under-utilized warehouse style buildings) so asking for more than 5 stories would fit in pretty well.

But it's also totally cool to not zone for anything more than 5 stories here while townhomes and office parks where low income people could theoretically work are built in literal cornfields in Lakeville and Carver instead, all so nobody has to suffer the indignity of looking at a tall building from their home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm

My comment was really a retort to posts like this and the 38th St station redevelopment that always ask for more. More density does not always equate to better buildings that fit their surroundings.
If that's how you're reading Alex's posts then you're totally missing the message.

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » January 28th, 2017, 10:24 am

I'd imagine for the retail/restaurant its kind of unfortunate that if you are in the buildings on highway 7 it wont be visible from the light rail or bike path. Then if you're in the other buildings on the bike path side you wouldn't be visible from highway 7.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 28th, 2017, 11:35 am

County 25/TH 7 between 100 to France is high priority of the city to de-highway-ify. The goal is to make it over into more like Excelsior Blvd.

While that can make it more pleasant I think moving it over to the station/trail side would be what any rational developer will propose.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 13th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 11th, 2018, 8:27 pm

If you live near, travel through, or bike the trails along, consider making plans to attend the neighborhood meeting around a concept by Sherman for the Beltline Station site as well as concepts for redesigning County 25 east of TH 100

https://twitter.com/stlouispark/status/ ... 2035500033

From the city page at the link...

“The meeting will be an opportunity to meet neighbors and introduce a concept plan for a development at the future Beltline Station Site. The developers are looking to better understand the values of the St. Louis Park community as they refine their development plans. The city will also be presenting a concept plan for redesigning County Road 25/Highway 7 east of Highway 100.”

You can bet that there will be loud voices there to make it know that the city values to be considered primarily are for low density and car traffic concerns first.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 16th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Digging around the city developments page I noticed back in November Yeshiva was approved to expand on-site student housing from 50 to 200 students. A new wing will be added along Natchez for the new housing addition.

https://www.stlouispark.org/government/ ... ts/yeshiva

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 25th, 2019, 8:56 am

Sherman closes on first piece of parking & apartments at Beltline:

https://finance-commerce.com/2019/04/wh ... e-project/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 25th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Another grocery to the SE SLP grocery cluster? Wild. Don’t be shocked if the massive Byerly’s parking lot get its empty outer reaches built on? Fresh Thyme + housing. Trader Joe’s + housing. Beltline apartments + housing.

structuralEIT
Block E

Postby structuralEIT » April 27th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Another grocery to the SE SLP grocery cluster? Wild. Don’t be shocked if the massive Byerly’s parking lot get its empty outer reaches built on? Fresh Thyme + housing. Trader Joe’s + housing. Beltline apartments + housing.
What grocery store could going here? Could it be Hyvee? Every other grocery store is already within a couple of miles.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » June 4th, 2019, 10:16 am

I don't think that type of store is in Hyvee's portfolio. They're all giant warehouse types. The Sam's Club property seems more of a fit for Hyvee.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 4th, 2019, 10:21 am

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 4th, 2019, 11:33 am

We have a small HyVee coming to White Bear Lake. Highway 61 and County Road E.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2019, 2:44 pm

LowVee?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]