Eden Prairie - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
MNdible
is great.

Re: Eden Prairie - General Topics

Postby MNdible » February 26th, 2019, 10:18 pm

Kind of crazy that they're going from 290,000 sf down to 73,000 sf.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 6th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Rather than expand HQ in Golden Valley, Tennant will buy the Element site and relocate HQ there but keep the Golden Valley site

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -move.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 23rd, 2019, 9:45 pm

20 acre site in walking distance to the Eden Prairie SWLRT stations proposed for redevelopment to senior housing, market rate housing, and commercial.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -site.html

Maybe they will come up with a plan to chop up the megablock.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 24th, 2019, 7:40 am

This is awesome! More development near south west light rail! Let’s hope the development is focused on lock ability and ease of connection to the train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 25th, 2019, 5:18 am

Sounds like they’re doubling the density, which is good, but being that it’s right at the SWLRT station, seems way less ambitious than what is happening in Hopkins and St. Louis Park.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 25th, 2019, 5:58 am

Don’t have a subscription to the biz journals. Without copying the exact text, can someone provide a brief summary of what the article says?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 25th, 2019, 8:42 am

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 25th, 2019, 9:59 am

Don’t have a subscription to the biz journals. Without copying the exact text, can someone provide a brief summary of what the article says?
Gist:
~ Proposal to redevelop a nearly 20-acre Eden Prairie site near the intersection of Flying Cloud Drive and Prairie Center Drive.
~ 274 units of senior housing and another 250 units of market-rate rental housing on the site. The commercial portion of the site would include a 110-room hotel and about 20,000 square feet of retail space.
~ If the redevelopment team wins city approvals, the project’s first phase would involve demolition of the Broadmoor Apartments — although not until after the end of the current school year, Fletcher said. Presbyterian plans to construct its new facility on top of the apartment’s footprint and then move residents from its existing facility into the new building.
~ Bloomington-based Timberland is developing the proposal for the market-rate apartments, which would include a mix of studios, one-bedrooms and two-bedrooms. It plans to divide the 250 units between a five-story building and a seven-story building connected by a two-story common space.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 4th, 2019, 8:05 pm

The land rush is going near the suburban SWLRT stations.

The Golden Triangle station area has an office plus a 40 acre site next to the LRT station sell for $28+M

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... e-lrt.html

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » October 5th, 2019, 12:00 am

So maybe SWLRT isn’t just commuter rail after all, and we’ll be seeing real urban nodes developing around each station? That’d be great.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 5th, 2019, 6:24 am

I’m a skeptic that the five stations counting from the end on in, Opus, City West, Golden Triangle, EP Town Center, and Southwest will have anything like the urban form we see in classic streetcar nodes. That seems really dependent on planning and development that is long past and something that isn’t returning.

To keep myself from disappointment I’m aiming my hopes for the best we’ll get is at least supportive density in biking and walking distance.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » April 18th, 2020, 8:44 am

Yeah, the stations that are beyond Hopkins certainly don’t seem like they’ll be surrounded by great urban nodes.

Maybe there really is a difference between first- and second-ring suburbs.

codyzwief
Block E

Postby codyzwief » July 14th, 2020, 1:29 pm

EP planning commission rejects 3-story, 52-unit proposal with eligible affordable housing for tax credits.

candycaneforestelf
City Center

Postby candycaneforestelf » July 15th, 2020, 8:07 am

EP planning commission rejects 3-story, 52-unit proposal with eligible affordable housing for tax credits.
Given the location, that does not surprise me. Sure, it's close to retail and the 169/Anderson Lakes interchange, but single family residence lots form a horseshoe around the back property line. Someone from those residences probably lodged a complaint. For this location, the way to go for now would probably be a few duplexes/townhomes (whether that's for sale or for rent), or a smaller building than 52 units. I suppose holding off until a council more amenable to the proposal would work, too, but that could be a decade or two.

codyzwief
Block E

Postby codyzwief » July 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Given the location, that does not surprise me. Sure, it's close to retail and the 169/Anderson Lakes interchange, but single family residence lots form a horseshoe around the back property line. Someone from those residences probably lodged a complaint. For this location, the way to go for now would probably be a few duplexes/townhomes (whether that's for sale or for rent), or a smaller building than 52 units. I suppose holding off until a council more amenable to the proposal would work, too, but that could be a decade or two.
I live in the area. There is indeed a fairly aggressive organizational effort by some neighbors to lobby against it.

The justification given was that it should be zoned in accordance with the 2040 plan, which for that property is specified as medium ( max 40 units on the property). Is there any active development of smaller apartment complexes going on in the metro area? Like does that supply even exist?

candycaneforestelf
City Center

Postby candycaneforestelf » July 15th, 2020, 12:38 pm

I live in the area. There is indeed a fairly aggressive organizational effort by some neighbors to lobby against it.

The justification given was that it should be zoned in accordance with the 2040 plan, which for that property is specified as medium ( max 40 units on the property). Is there any active development of smaller apartment complexes going on in the metro area? Like does that supply even exist?
I'm not personally aware of any, but given the way rent prices are climbing, I'd take a smaller complex over no complex. Cost is probably a problem for building new smaller complexes, though, since they'll need a lot of the same things the larger complexes would, but with less space to rent out to compensate.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 8th, 2021, 5:11 pm

A bit of a long walk from the Eden Prairie Town Center, Paravel Apartments, 246 units proposed near the corner of Flying Cloud Dr and Prairie Center Dr.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ments.html

425 parking stalls mostly underground, it is Eden Prairie after all.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » April 9th, 2021, 12:34 pm

A suburban apartment building with little parking isn't going to get many tenants. There's the obvious getting-around-suburbia component to it, but also, there are some people who need spaces for their work vehicles too.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 9th, 2021, 8:24 pm

What's the place that's already under construction in that area? I looked on the Eden Prairie website but couldn't find anything.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 10th, 2021, 2:41 pm

If you're referring to the southwest quadrant it's the Flagstone senior living development by Presbyterian Homes.

https://www.preshomes.org/resources/blo ... viewmode=0