Shakopee - Savage - Prior Lake - Scott County

Twin Cities Suburbs
Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Re: Shakopee

Postby Rube Dali » October 20th, 2019, 9:14 am

I wonder if all this maneuvering is in response to the following report:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... gue-teams/

Yeah, it's possible the Saints might be moving into "Affiliated Minor League Baseball" and thus the Metro Millers may take their place in the AA.
Well, the Saints may not be going to affiliated ball after all, and that it's the Millers that maybe going to affiliated ball. Heres the relevant tweet storm:
https://mobile.twitter.com/AA_Baseball/ ... 1042724872
Buildings, what buildings?

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » November 25th, 2019, 10:39 am

More details from the Star Tribune today

http://www.startribune.com/baseball-sta ... 565421532/

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 25th, 2019, 11:19 am

Maybe I've missed it in the stories, but do we know exactly where the proposed site is?

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » November 25th, 2019, 1:59 pm

The articles I've seen just describe it as being adjacent to Canterbury.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 27th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Former truck stop to become new HQ of currently-Edina-based company, Cherne Industries, as it will relocate 117 employees to west side of Shakopee at 169 and Old Brick Road.

https://finance-commerce.com/2020/02/op ... akopee-hq/

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 28th, 2020, 9:21 am

Not surprising. These days it's hard for companies that need significant warehouse/manufacturing space (which it looks like they have, based on Google Maps) to expand without moving to the fringes of the metro.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Shakopee - Savage - Prior Lake - Scott County

Postby mamundsen » January 2nd, 2021, 9:42 am

Here’s an article about everything happening in Shakopee in 2021. Lots of new development.

https://www.swnewsmedia.com/shakopee_va ... FueLdYngbw

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm

A single family house is "affordable" it it's anywhere under $400,000 now?

candycaneforestelf
City Center

Postby candycaneforestelf » January 5th, 2021, 11:13 am

A single family house is "affordable" it it's anywhere under $400,000 now?
Unfortunately that seems to be the price of new constructions anywhere on the fringe of the metro's urban area in the SW metro, and you've gotta go into the exurbs or commit to build a townhome to get to sub $300k, just based on me spending the last year window shopping on Zillow and Realtor.com while I'm working on building up a down payment.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » January 5th, 2021, 3:39 pm

We bought our first home about 5 years ago for just over $200k in the SW metro, and you pretty much had to put in an offer same-day to have any chance whatsoever. On several occasions, we walked through a home and before our realtor could even contact the seller, another offer had already been accepted. I imagine it's probably only gotten worse since 2016.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » July 26th, 2022, 2:06 pm

A look at a proposed 19,000 seat amphitheater.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... eater.html

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 23rd, 2022, 8:04 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... ZG8r-LuFDA

205 unit apartment building approved for vacant land in Shakopee.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 25th, 2022, 4:29 pm

Theoretically walkable to the high school?

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 5th, 2023, 8:36 pm

Theoretically.

It's about a mile and a quarter, there's MUPS the whole way and a marked crossing with an RRFB across 16th, although crossing Marystown is four lanes with no marked crosswalk.

My Mom and stepfather live in Shakopee, and it's walkable for certain values of walkable. There's MUPs along the major streets and the city requires developers to put in sidewalks on most of the residential streets, including even most cul-de-sacs now. It's easy to go for a neighborhood stroll with your dog or walk down to the park with your kids or for your kids to go to a neighborhood school. However if you buy a house in Shakopee you probably want to live in a quiet residential area of single family detached houses instead of next to a high traffic grocery store or restaraunt or or a noisy bar, so you're going to be taking your car out to do your dining and shopping.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 14th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Shakopee looking at spending $7 million to rebuild SandVenture, one of four sand bottom swimming pools in Minnesota. The pool itself is 50 years old and leaks and the building also needs replacing. City council is very reluctant to unilaterally impose new taxes, so intially they were planning on having a referendum before their legal department told them that under state law they couldn't do that. Now they're looking at creative financing to reduce the need for a new levy as much as possible.

They could essentially replace what they have for $4 million, but they're looking at adding amenities to the pool, turning it into a skating rink in the winter, and building a year round restaraunt / party room to reduce the negitive operating costs for a facility that's only currently open three months of the year. Tommy's Malt Shop would lease and operate a restaraunt on the site that would be open year round. Council agreed in principal for Parks and Recs request for the "Cadillac Rebuild" but did direct them to put some of the "extra" stuff like the new boardwalk and new climbing wall in as bid alternates so they could be cut if the bids come in over budget.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » April 14th, 2023, 6:14 pm

Shakopee looking at spending $7 million to rebuild SandVenture, one of four sand bottom swimming pools in Minnesota. The pool itself is 50 years old and leaks and the building also needs replacing. City council is very reluctant to unilaterally impose new taxes, so intially they were planning on having a referendum before their legal department told them that under state law they couldn't do that. Now they're looking at creative financing to reduce the need for a new levy as much as possible.

They could essentially replace what they have for $4 million, but they're looking at adding amenities to the pool, turning it into a skating rink in the winter, and building a year round restaraunt / party room to reduce the negitive operating costs for a facility that's only currently open three months of the year. Tommy's Malt Shop would lease and operate a restaraunt on the site that would be open year round. Council agreed in principal for Parks and Recs request for the "Cadillac Rebuild" but did direct them to put some of the "extra" stuff like the new boardwalk and new climbing wall in as bid alternates so they could be cut if the bids come in over budget.

Anyone know where the other sand bottom swimming pools in Minnesota are? I think there's one at an apartment complex in Eden Prairie, but I don't know if that's one of them since it's not open to the public.

thespeedmccool
Union Depot

Postby thespeedmccool » April 14th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Is Lake Elmo pool sand bottom? I think it is

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » April 15th, 2023, 3:52 am

There's one at Lake Minnetonka Regional Park that I think would qualify ? It's maybe more of a man-made pond.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 15th, 2023, 8:08 am

Flandrau State Park in New Ulm has one.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » April 15th, 2023, 9:37 am

Lake Elmo
Lake Minnetonka Regional Park
Flandrau State Park
So I guess with Shakopee we have a list of the four in the state.

I actually can't remember ever being at a municipal swimming pool, nowadays my thing it so buy a season pass to ValleyFair and hang out there on hot days.