Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 12th, 2018, 10:15 am

Makes perfect sense to me. People would probably buy groceries at the mall too if given the option. A mini Trader Joes in the mall would make an absolute killing on TJ-branded snacks, booze, etc.
The mall has expressed interest in a Target or grocery option already - so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens too. I think a Walgreens makes perfect sense! There are like 500 hotel rooms attached to the mall and another equal amount in the surrounding area (if not more). As more office/living/retail space is added to the mall & around it - convenience options are all the more important.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 12th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Trader Joe's has tried/wanted to open a location in the South Loop (not sure if in the mall or not), but i think Bloomington has some restriction on any given company owning/operating more than 1 liquor store in their borders. Since there's already a Trader Joe's in West Bloomington, and im sure they're set on any south loop location having a liquor store, it hasn't happened yet.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm

That's actually a state law, as I understand it, that no entity can own more than one liquor store in a given city. So, for example, the NE Lund's can't have a liquor store since the downtown one does, and the Quarry, Lake St, and various miniTargets will never get liquor stores, since the Downtown and Midway locations are Target's single allowed liquor store for Minneapolis and St. Paul respectively.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » July 14th, 2018, 4:29 pm

It seems like the concept of having grocery stores is foreign to most mall developers today, but down in Australia, it's not. Take for example Chadstone, the largest mall in Australia. Can you spot all the grocery stores there? Not to mention two different chains owned by the same company?
Buildings, what buildings?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 15th, 2018, 10:51 am

There is a Walmart at Square One in Mississauga, Ontario, which is the second largest mall in Canada.

Eden Prairie Center has a Target for what it's worth.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » July 15th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Are malls returning to their original vision as mini villages with everyday stores like pharmacy & grocery? Southdale had a Red Owl grocery when it opened.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » August 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm

The Best Buy location is closed. Anyone know why?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 11th, 2018, 3:47 pm

mulad

Postby mulad » August 29th, 2018, 5:35 pm

The Hallmark store is now closed (a notice had been posted in their window for a while). Are they having a general contraction? There are other general stationery stores at the mall, but I don't think any of them have very significant selections of cards. I'll have to poke at them again...

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 30th, 2018, 8:35 am

Hallmark's statement on their website is that most of their stores are franchise owned, and the language used gives me the impression a lot of Hallmarks were operated as turnkey businesses by retirees.

That is almost certainly not the case for the MOA one. But it's refreshing to see a different perspective from a company than "ThE mIlLeNnIaLs ArEn'T bUyInG oUr CrAp"

toggie
Block E

Postby toggie » September 4th, 2018, 2:23 pm

I don't think these renderings of the next phase of the mall were ever officially released publicly, they look like a refinement of the plans last released in 2015. the description mentions a 2019 opening, which would have depended on some timeline that was also not announced (to my knowledge) but is out of date by now.

http://www.dlrgroup.com/work/the-collec ... f-america/

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 4th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I don't think these renderings of the next phase of the mall were ever officially released publicly, they look like a refinement of the plans last released in 2015. the description mentions a 2019 opening, which would have depended on some timeline that was also not announced (to my knowledge) but is out of date by now.

http://www.dlrgroup.com/work/the-collec ... f-america/
Does it finally connect the mall to IKEA?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 5th, 2018, 1:42 pm

It looks like it. The images in the link show a skyway path between MOA and IKEA.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » September 5th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Skyways.

So very last century?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 5th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Skyways.

So very last century?
:roll:
Tell us more, everyone loves skyway debates...

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 6th, 2018, 2:59 am

So is there an updated timeline of when this happens, assuming its still happening?

How would the D Line, and dare I say light rail, tie in to this?

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » September 6th, 2018, 6:57 am

Skyways.

So very last century?
Yes, It's all about "Elevated Walking Parks" It's so...it's so NOW!

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » September 6th, 2018, 7:07 am

Imagine being in a wheelchair or walker on that pedestrian walking obstacle course—I mean bridge.

I suppose New York’s High Line tipped the scales?

Bridges solve one, and only one, problem with skyways, which is that they allow us to be outside in the (sometimes) sunshine and (sometimes) fresh air.

But skyways have several additional problems, including the suburban/mall-oriented navel-gazing (never being exposed to something outside your cocoon), the lack of diversity (all owned by 1 company—more true for MOA than downtown), a single pathway to a destination, problems with being private rather than public space (legality of taking photos, protesting, etc.), no variable street vendors (e.g., food trucks), to name a few problems.

toggie
Block E

Postby toggie » September 6th, 2018, 7:31 am

So is there an updated timeline of when this happens, assuming its still happening?
I just stubbled upon the renderings, they imply that they were still working on the project a couple years back, but given the out of date timeline and no announcements in several years, I have to imagine it is on indefinite hold. With rising construction costs and interest rates, who knows when it could happen, if they were having a hard time financing it in 2016 I can't imagine it would be any easier today. It also sounded like one of the biggest barriers to the project has been lukewarm interest from luxury retailers who seem to prefer Edina/Minnetonka/North Loop, etc. and none of the luxury chains seem to have much interest in two locations in a market like the twin cities. I do think their strategy of incorporating as much office/hotels into the next phase makes sense, the more people they can get on site from out of town, the more likely it will be they can convince more luxury retailers to come into a market that has a pretty poor history of retaining them, but it is all an uphill battle given competition from online retail, and their (triple 5) own shiny new malls opening over the next couple years which could poach some of the foreign tourists.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » October 2nd, 2018, 4:10 pm

The Walgreens at MOA will not have a pharmacy. Fhat the wuck?