Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby Chauncey87 » January 17th, 2014, 6:59 am

I have to wonder was the bridge built strong enough to be able to carry the weight of the next phase of the mall expansion?

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » January 17th, 2014, 10:23 am

I have to wonder was the bridge built strong enough to be able to carry the weight of the next phase of the mall expansion?

That's the plan.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 17th, 2014, 11:47 am

The pedestrian bridge is on Killebrew, the bridge to the expansion is on Lindau. They have not yet finished the bridge on Lindau, but even after the bridge is complete I'm not sure how much structure will be on it when the expansion portion is complete. I'm guessing there will be mostly walkways on it versus buildings.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » January 25th, 2014, 9:53 am

I don't share the hatred that a lot of people seem to have for skyways, but if pedestrians have to go up a level and then down a level right away rather than feeding into the second story of the mall and hotel it sounds like a dumb design to me. Even though I live a few miles away it's been over a year since I've been there so I haven't seen the new construction in person.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » January 25th, 2014, 10:02 pm

I don't share the hatred that a lot of people seem to have for skyways, but if pedestrians have to go up a level and then down a level right away rather than feeding into the second story of the mall and hotel it sounds like a dumb design to me. Even though I live a few miles away it's been over a year since I've been there so I haven't seen the new construction in person.

If Radisson had any say, they probably agreed to that on purpose...as to have all of the people who stay at the out-dated hotels across the street say "hey, next time, lets get a room at this fancy hotel that is actually connected to the mall, instead of having to take this convoluted path just to get there". :lol:

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 4th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Hard Rock Café opening sometime this summer. No location given within the mall. Maybe it will use some of the space on the barren 4th floor.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 4th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Maybe the old Napa Valley Grille spot, that is my suspicion. There have been rumors at the mall that something big was going into that space (literally, taking over some neighboring space).

Cyclotron
City Center

Postby Cyclotron » February 4th, 2014, 3:43 pm

A link confirming the above Hard Rock: http://tcbmag.com/News/Recent-News/2014 ... ies-Encore
The greatest danger of bombs is in the explosion of stupidity that they provoke. - Octave Mirbeau

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » February 4th, 2014, 4:55 pm

400 Bar also opening up at Mall. Big news day for them.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... ml?ana=twt

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 4th, 2014, 5:21 pm

#400BarAtTheMall is killing it on Twitter right now: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23400BarA ... l&src=typd

Examples:

Ann Taylor Swift
Hank Williams Sonoma Jr.
Sephora on the Floor
Radisson Blu Oyster Cult

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 4th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » February 5th, 2014, 9:09 am

Neat. Makes it all the more frustrating that moving the LRT stop here wasn't considered.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 5th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Neat. Makes it all the more frustrating that moving the LRT stop here wasn't considered.
Seriously... the LRT platform moving is a horse that needs to be put to rest. It's not going to happen. We cannot even get dedicated funding for much higher priority projects as it is. Moving a stop, because of an office building is crazy. It'll take maybe 5 or 10 minutes to walk from the current station to this office. That's completely acceptable - especially since it's enclosed! Hundreds of thousands of workers walk further downtown than people who work here (and take transit) will have to walk.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Is this a spec office building or do they have a tenant lined up?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 5th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Is this a spec office building or do they have a tenant lined up?
The report is vague, but I did find this:
Construction Operations Plan

The Construction Operations Plan for the previously approved MOA Phase IC indicated a 24-month construction period (November 2013 to November 2015). It is now anticipated that Phase IC will begin construction in January of 2014. This Construction operations Plan takes into consideration the addition of the Phase IC Office Building. The Office Building is currently in the leasing process and the actual construction start will be determined when the office tenant(s) have been identified and leases executed. The Construction Operations Plan for the Phase IC Office Building will be consistent with the Construction Operations Plan for Phase IC.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 5th, 2014, 3:34 pm

It doesn't seem realistic that you would build the 3 story retail base of the building and not complete the structure above; however, if you are to read the quotes it seems that they won't start the office portion until there are leases. I'm assuming they are hoping to sign some leases in the near term that will allow the construction process for the two portions to be seamless.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 5th, 2014, 5:05 pm

It doesn't seem realistic that you would build the 3 story retail base of the building and not complete the structure above; however, if you are to read the quotes it seems that they won't start the office portion until there are leases. I'm assuming they are hoping to sign some leases in the near term that will allow the construction process for the two portions to be seamless.
I did read that the 3 story base (already approved and planned) that will house the mall expansion will be built to accommodate the 7-story office above it. So theoretically, they could start construction on that, allowing them a few more months. But, one would imagine that MOA/555 already have things in the works.

The crane heights (due to piercing the MSP airspace) require a variance from MSP.

I was glad to see that the hotel & office will be built to the maximum heights allowed in this area though (991' above sea level, which is 167'/10 stories).

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 6th, 2014, 11:03 am

Why is the maximum height based on sea level? And isnt this area away from air traffic?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2014, 11:05 am

They sort of have trapezoids that go out from the end of the runway, and then increasing height profiles as you go lateral from the line matching the runway centerline.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 6th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Why is the maximum height based on sea level? And isnt this area away from air traffic?
It's based on sea level because all altitudes in aviation are based on sea level. MSP has an official "height" of the runway from sea level.