Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
Lancestar2

Re: Mall of America

Postby Lancestar2 » June 21st, 2012, 12:20 pm

it was already posted via a link above

but also I still stick to my original statement, also notice the slanted wall between tenant B & E as you get next to the skyway.
the reason for that I can only assume is because they will have a equal entrance from the skyway. They would have to be insane to
remove the skyway entrance. Of course having a additional entrance for stores can be a issue but if they are using that anchor site
they should be required to keep the doors unlocked as that is a major entrance point into the mall. Also they would loose a lot of
traffic if they didn't.

EDIT perhaps posting the link would be better so the page wouldn't get stretched out, also the "f America" from what is probably Mall of America wouldn't be so noticeable :lol:

Lancestar2

Re: Radisson Blu

Postby Lancestar2 » June 26th, 2012, 10:52 am

hahaha I think if they ever go bankrupt or move out, Mills Fleet Farm should buy it as their New HQ :lol: I think they would LOVE IT!

I can't believe the city would allow them to paint it like that!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 26th, 2012, 11:20 am

The orange is water-proofing membrane that will be covered by something else.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 26th, 2012, 11:34 am

A construction update from today. I wasn't too impressed with the render, but seeing it in person, it's much better looking. Still not a fan of the orange exterior part. But overall, it's not as bad as I thought.

DSCN1191 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1192 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1193 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1194 by spectre 000, on Flickr

I think of it as kinda of a modernist interprutation of the deconstructionist genre.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 26th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Poor man's Stephen Holl?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 12th, 2012, 9:22 am

The idea of Cupcake on Grand in Saint Paul is going into hibernation. The Mall of America extended an offer and a shop is expected to open there August 1st. They're required to be open by the 11th, the MOA's 20th birthday. I'm guessing the mall is going to pay for lots of cheap/free cupcakes that day :-p

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... d-switches

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 12th, 2012, 9:48 am

The idea of Cupcake on Grand in Saint Paul is going into hibernation. The Mall of America extended an offer and a shop is expected to open there August 1st. They're required to be open by the 11th, the MOA's 20th birthday. I'm guessing the mall is going to pay for lots of cheap/free cupcakes that day :-p

I'm a bit annoyed over the whole Cupcake debacle. I know lots of people want to blame Dave Thune. But VanDeraa sure caused a lot of wasted effort. The mayor got behind him. A council member enacted new regulations to make it easier for future businesses handle parking requirements. And in the end he decides to setup shop in another city. What a huge waste of time and money for all parties.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 3rd, 2012, 11:51 pm

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... onto-truck

As many of you may know by know a U haul truck knocked a concrete beam off it's pillar in the MOA West ramp and the ramp may be partially shut down, however much is still unknown. I wanted to post this here and see what everyone thought about it. If you look at the pictures on site you notice the box of the U haul is sheet metal and plywood! How in the world could that knock the concrete down? Any ideals was it not tied down properly or do you think the parking structure is not built to with stand sheet metal and plywood truck boxes smacking into them at 10-20mph ? ... Also very sad the driver lost his life seems like it never should have happened.

web

Postby web » August 4th, 2012, 10:33 am

looks like it was the part where the height restriction is placed so those are always loose . also looks like the height of the van was over 3 feet taller than the clearence. Why would someone even attempt this. Not lke it was inches it was 3 FEET.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 4th, 2012, 10:41 am

looks like it was the part where the height restriction is placed so those are always loose . also looks like the height of the van was over 3 feet taller than the clearence. Why would someone even attempt this. Not lke it was inches it was 3 FEET.
oh so you mean that the slab that fell was sort of a "tester" in case anybody ever attempted driving a much larger truck than space permitted it would fall down rather than risk the damaging the structure? That makes more sense now I guess still how did he get past the clearance hanging bars that should prevent this anyways? Very odd behavior I hope more details follow soon.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » August 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I'm a bit annoyed over the whole Cupcake debacle. I know lots of people want to blame Dave Thune. But VanDeraa sure caused a lot of wasted effort. The mayor got behind him. A council member enacted new regulations to make it easier for future businesses handle parking requirements. And in the end he decides to setup shop in another city. What a huge waste of time and money for all parties.
And they weren't open yet on Friday, August 3rd.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm

No, the height restriction signs are pvc pipes that hang from wires, designed to move and make noise when you hit them, alerting you to the potential danger ahead. How this driver ignored that is beyond me. A 800+ lb concrete beam in never designed to be loose and fall.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

web

Postby web » August 4th, 2012, 4:09 pm

could be if its not designed to be hit from the side......lots of beams are on rollers. Especially bridges etc.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 4th, 2012, 5:47 pm

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/1mall080412.jpg

that's a link to a very clear picture of the damage... If it's not meant to be hit from the side which is right above a driving lane which cars drive each day that would be in my mind sound insane! ...of course it's insane to drive a 10foot truck in a parking ramp but I would think the 1st beam would be reinforced to take extra damage given that it would be 90% most likely the only beam that would be rammed into with a truck! ...yes yes I know people normally are not that dumb to drive into a low space with a huge truck but it happens (check youtube it happens A LOT!) I just think thatwould be a given even if it was built about 20 years ago. Also hopefully they will keep that in mind going forward by making the 1st beam in entering a parking ramp a "idiot beam" not affecting the structure of the ramp if broken. Of course added cost to buildings but for such important structures as the MOA or huge ramps maybe it would be smart?

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » August 4th, 2012, 6:02 pm

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 5th, 2012, 12:57 am

I will say that a friend of mine who I would describe as pretty intelligent (or perhaps intellectual is a better word) damaged a U-haul at the parking ramp at Ikea doing something similar. So yes, it does happen. I myself am withholding judgement against the man who has unfortunately passed away because of this.
My flickr photos.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 5th, 2012, 1:36 am

If it's someone who normally doesn't ever drive and just had the U-Haul because they were moving, I can totally see them not being able to judge the height.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 5th, 2012, 9:41 am

Yeah, I suspect that beam had been hit before.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 5th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Getting OT, but I just rented a U-Haul this past week to move, and I was really shocked how little oversight there is with that whole operation. I'm 21 and too young to rent a Chevy Aveo from Hertz, but I show up at the U-Haul place and they just hand you the keys and say not to crash it, and three minutes later you're on I-35W in rush hour with no rear view mirror.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

web

Postby web » August 5th, 2012, 10:19 pm

after smashing the pipe overhang??? and what the hell are 3 guys doing with a uhaul going into a parking ramp???
use the flat lot or the loading zone or the loading ramp

plus this wasnt a couple inches it was 2 or 3 feet!!!
imagine if this was a trucker going under a low bridge?