Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Re: Mall of America

Postby dmdhashw » August 6th, 2012, 7:45 am

plus this wasnt a couple inches it was 2 or 3 feet!!!
imagine if this was a trucker going under a low bridge?
Semi-trucks hit low bridges with some frequency, but you don't hear about the bridge collapsing because of it. Yes, these people in the U-Haul were idiots, but this parking ramp was poorly built. You can't have a low-hanging crossbeam in a high traffic area and not design it withstand being hit by a small truck.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » August 6th, 2012, 5:41 pm

I was going to leave a message complaining about the stupidity needed to not understand if it will fit but decided against it... Also in response to the statement saying you have to go under the clearance PCP pipe and marker isn't it if you cut through the parking lot you can avoid the warnings? I could have sworn that the ground parking lot had a entrance that would allow a car to bypass the the warring pipe signs. I think when I was young my parents did that because the top of there truck just touched a bit of the sign but they could park on the lower levels still. Of course my memory is rather fuzzy so I could be wrong...

Also I posted this video so as to show how flipping light a truck such as a U-Haul is and how it really is a pickup with a huge cardboard box on the back haha :lol: ...I guess everybody makes mistakes... I would be VERY concerned about the parking structure if such a minor hitting brought down the beam! Also if it was hit before and didn't fall I would assume they would have checked to see if it was damaged. Although if it was hit before by another light truck I could see why they would have skipped that step.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj8Bkn9kaLE[/youtube]

web

Postby web » August 6th, 2012, 8:12 pm

hmmmmmm again why a uhaul in a passenger car parking ramp. If everything was built idiot proof the world woulda been bankrupt 100 yrs ago instead of now.

again the "beam" was attached with brackets. the bracket failed and I sense this uhaul was driving pretty fast.......to yank it

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 6th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Construction expert suspects design flaw in mall ramp

Hmmm, I think there is going to be a lawsuit coming
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 7th, 2012, 12:31 am

So it was just for decor, great...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 7th, 2012, 7:19 am

Do "accidents" HAPPEN anymore?? This is an extremely rare event with an even more rare possibility of happening, and yet it did. I call that fate (or karma). Any lawsuit as a result of this that arises is one of the things I hate most about this day and age in our country (and the world)! It has ruined EVERYTHING! Just stop it with suing everyone for things that are clearly your fault! Last week my wife was slammed into (T-boned) by a car going 40 mph through a red light (with her mother and our BABY in the car!), and this a-hole is going to try to deny the accident and work the legal system instead......even though it was CLEARLY 100% his fault, as witnessed by another driver behind him AND confirmed by a police officer who handed him the citation. And this is why car insurance costs over a thousand dollars a year for most people, even while the value of your car depreciates. Oh, and by the way, my wife's mother fractured her sternum and stayed in the hospital overnight. She has little/no out-of-pocket hospital expenses and will likely not sue or hold the other driver responsible for any payment for her injuries. Why? Because she'll be fine and it was an ACCIDENT.

Exhausted....rant over.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2012, 11:03 pm

The idea of Cupcake on Grand in Saint Paul is going into hibernation. The Mall of America extended an offer and a shop is expected to open there August 1st. They're required to be open by the 11th, the MOA's 20th birthday. I'm guessing the mall is going to pay for lots of cheap/free cupcakes that day :-p

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... d-switches
I'm a bit annoyed over the whole Cupcake debacle. I know lots of people want to blame Dave Thune. But VanDeraa sure caused a lot of wasted effort. The mayor got behind him. A council member enacted new regulations to make it easier for future businesses handle parking requirements. And in the end he decides to setup shop in another city. What a huge waste of time and money for all parties.
I'm not sure how any of this is VanDeraa's fault. He did everything he could to try and open the shop in St Paul, but when that was years in the making and still far off in the distance, and MOA comes to him with an offer he can't refuse where he'll be in business in less than a month, can you blame him for throwing in the towel on St Paul? I would certainly do the same thing.

I'm sure he'll be back in St Paul before too long with more capital (financial and political), but for the time being St Paul has screamed to him "Closed for Business."

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » August 8th, 2012, 8:43 am

A lot of blame deserves to go to the city for having such tight parking regulations. I don't blame VanDeraa for going to the MoA. But after all the work the city went through to negotiate additonal parking spaces for him, he decides to go somewhere else.

In the end though, the city of St. Paul has now relaxed its parking standards. So going forward it will be much easier for businesses in similar situations.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 10th, 2012, 1:12 am

mulad

Postby mulad » August 10th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Cupcake is open.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » October 25th, 2012, 4:57 pm

MOA announces plans for 40-foot ice castle
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. - Billed as a one-of-a-kind experience to visitors from around the world, a 40-foot ice castle will be gathering oohs and ahs at the Mall of America this winter.

Ice Castles, LLC will build its largest structure ever, a castle that will stand more than 40 feet tall at its peak and span more than one acre.

Unlike typical ice structures that are built with ice blocks, the Ice Castles castle will be made of icicles organically grown from 4 million gallons of water and then fused together.

The castle will join 50 large ice towers together to create a series of shimmering archways, tunnels, walls and caverns. In the center courtyard, will be the largest frozen tower, reaching more than 40-feet high.
This sounds very cool. This is from there website. This Ice Castle was located in Silverthorne Colorado.
[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYRi1af__94[/BBvideo]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 25th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Sweet, thanks for sharing!

mpls_tc
Block E

Postby mpls_tc » November 5th, 2012, 9:31 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 20th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Anyone heard the status of the new $200 million hotel/Mayo building that's supposed to go between the north mall entrance and Lindau Lane?

In a way, I wish this parcel was the location of the LRT station and transit center, as it would be much more centrally located under the connection between Phase I and Phase II.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » November 20th, 2012, 9:19 pm

http://finance-commerce.com/2012/05/mal ... -addition/

May have been posted already but it sounds like they already selected a builder Ryan Construction (no info on their website about it yet) and the city is committed to the road improvements on the northside by starting the process of the tunnel between Phase I and Phase 2 I wonder if they are still in the planning process figuring out the design?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Mall of America expansion won't include a Mayo Clinic outpost
Health system re-evaluated presence at megamall

http://www.startribune.com/business/183247752.html

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 19th, 2012, 11:22 am

Ryan out, Mortenson in on $200M Mall of America project. Mall of America owner Triple Five Group has switched development partners for the first part of its Phase II expansion, mall spokesman Dan Jasper confirmed Tuesday.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » December 19th, 2012, 11:47 am

MOA announces plans for 40-foot ice castle
BLOOMINGTON, Minn. - Billed as a one-of-a-kind experience to visitors from around the world, a 40-foot ice castle will be gathering oohs and ahs at the Mall of America this winter.

Ice Castles, LLC will build its largest structure ever, a castle that will stand more than 40 feet tall at its peak and span more than one acre.

Unlike typical ice structures that are built with ice blocks, the Ice Castles castle will be made of icicles organically grown from 4 million gallons of water and then fused together.

The castle will join 50 large ice towers together to create a series of shimmering archways, tunnels, walls and caverns. In the center courtyard, will be the largest frozen tower, reaching more than 40-feet high.
This sounds very cool. This is from there website. This Ice Castle was located in Silverthorne Colorado.
FYI - if you haven't been out to the mall recently, they have started the 'flooding' of this thing now. It's straight east of IKEA in the open parking area.

twincitizen

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby twincitizen » January 3rd, 2013, 4:00 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Radisson Blu - Bloomington

Postby seanrichardryan » January 29th, 2013, 11:38 pm

Here is a re-sneak peak of the interiors

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.