Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
twincitizen

Re: Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2021, 8:35 pm

But for 2nd ring suburbs, I'd take Hopkins, Bloomington & North St Paul pretty clearly over Eagan. Little Canada, Arden Hills, New Hope/Crystal also have their charms.
I don't want to get this too OT, but I meant '2nd ring' in the context of land use patterns and era of development, rather than pure distance from downtown Minneapolis. On both counts, Hopkins isn't really a suburb at all. Naturally, I would prefer to live in Hopkins than Eagan. I consider New Hope and Crystal to be first ring. If Edina or SLP are first ring (extending out to 169), then you have to look at Crystal/New Hope as also part of the first ring. And because Richfield is so small geographically, you kind of have to consider much of the inner/older parts of Bloomington as also being first ring. Built in the 1950s or early 60s and mostly on gridded streets? Absolutely first ring. Far west/southwest Bloomington is definitely 2nd ring, maybe even 3rd...it borders Shakopee down there! I'll give you Arden Hills though, and agree it's nicer than one might expect. Mature tree canopy, some unique homes, etc.