Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
twincitizen

Re: Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2021, 8:35 pm

But for 2nd ring suburbs, I'd take Hopkins, Bloomington & North St Paul pretty clearly over Eagan. Little Canada, Arden Hills, New Hope/Crystal also have their charms.
I don't want to get this too OT, but I meant '2nd ring' in the context of land use patterns and era of development, rather than pure distance from downtown Minneapolis. On both counts, Hopkins isn't really a suburb at all. Naturally, I would prefer to live in Hopkins than Eagan. I consider New Hope and Crystal to be first ring. If Edina or SLP are first ring (extending out to 169), then you have to look at Crystal/New Hope as also part of the first ring. And because Richfield is so small geographically, you kind of have to consider much of the inner/older parts of Bloomington as also being first ring. Built in the 1950s or early 60s and mostly on gridded streets? Absolutely first ring. Far west/southwest Bloomington is definitely 2nd ring, maybe even 3rd...it borders Shakopee down there! I'll give you Arden Hills though, and agree it's nicer than one might expect. Mature tree canopy, some unique homes, etc.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 25th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Raising Cane's coming to the site of Pier 1 (An outlot in Aurora Village, southeast corner of 5 and 42) in Burnsville. They plan to scrape the site but made a few concessions to blend in with the nearby buildings. Most new fast-food prototypes have very limited indoor dining, if any at all. This one does have a decent sized dining room, but they haven't neglected the drive through with space for 23 cars during normal operations and an additional 10 cars in "Dining room closed" operations, ie during the next pandemic or staffing shortage.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 11th, 2021, 7:30 pm

South Burnsville Cub Foods rebuild/redevelopment could include apartments:

https://burnsville.civicweb.net/documen ... A7CF161435

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 13th, 2021, 8:02 am

South Burnsville Cub Foods rebuild/redevelopment could include apartments:

https://burnsville.civicweb.net/documen ... A7CF161435
This was originally a Holiday grocery store (anyone else remember those?) which was sort of mixed use... they had a pet store, sporting goods store, etc all operated by Holiday under that roof.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 13th, 2021, 8:26 am

We used to shop at the Holiday in Fridley for all our outdoor stuff. Was sold to Gander Mountain.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 13th, 2021, 8:32 am

Oh, and also part of it became a Cub too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » September 15th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Looking at the details for this proposal and thinking about other Cubs, if they own the land beneath their stores, they have a lot of valuable real estate throughout the cities. Be great to see them fill more of the lots as folks shift to pickup and delivery.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 9th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Chipotle proposed for Cub Foods parking lot in Burnsville Heart of the City development.

For a long time they preferred locating in mixed use developments and classier strip malls, but now their preference is standalone pad sites so they can incorporate a "Chipotlane" drive-thru pickup window for prepaid app / food delivery service orders.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » December 21st, 2021, 3:50 pm

Honestly, it seems like a massive mistake for Chipotle. An oversized awning and carside pickup seemed like a far better option. It allows for out of order (line) service based on who ordered what first/what is made currently. Plus with recent staffing issues long lines and irrate customers could hold up the drive-thru out of spite and lack of expected level of service. Other Chains value from such a drive-thru model, yet Chipotle didn't need to. Personally I like Walmarts pickup. You park, check-in, and wait in your car on your phone until you get a tap on your window. It's a far more relaxing experience. Plus in such an urban place carside pickup would have been a far better option for density of the community as well.

Personally I been avoiding Drive-Thru the last few years, poor staffing results in longer lines and wasted gas idling while in line. Yikes! such a awful design for a modern world. Can't belive im not the only one who thinks they are making a massive mistake?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 21st, 2021, 11:06 pm

Honestly, it seems like a massive mistake for Chipotle. An oversized awning and carside pickup seemed like a far better option. It allows for out of order (line) service based on who ordered what first/what is made currently. Plus with recent staffing issues long lines and irrate customers could hold up the drive-thru out of spite and lack of expected level of service. Other Chains value from such a drive-thru model, yet Chipotle didn't need to. Personally I like Walmarts pickup. You park, check-in, and wait in your car on your phone until you get a tap on your window. It's a far more relaxing experience. Plus in such an urban place carside pickup would have been a far better option for density of the community as well.

Personally I been avoiding Drive-Thru the last few years, poor staffing results in longer lines and wasted gas idling while in line. Yikes! such a awful design for a modern world. Can't belive im not the only one who thinks they are making a massive mistake?
I have a friend that lives in SW metro where apparently there is a drive thru lane Chipotle. He used it for his app pickup order. Took over an hour in line. Ever since he chooses the pickup inside option.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 22nd, 2021, 10:10 am

Our experience with Chipotle pickup is if they're really busy sometimes they don't start making the stuff until you actually show up, don't see it on the shelf, and then go up to the counter and ask for it. Probably the window is meant more for the workers. I don't think Chipotle minds if their workers get rained on, but more that they don't have to spend the time and incur the potential safety risks of going outside.

I do think this is what you're going to see as far a new fast food and fast casual locations in Minneapolis. People aren't going to put up with getting out of their heated / air conditioned cars just because there's a drive-thru ban, instead they'll be a numbered space for them to pull into and it's a worker that has to go outside to the (probably idling) car. Maybe there will even be spaces you pull into where a worker will come up with a tablet if you haven't ordered in advance.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 22nd, 2021, 10:13 am

With the Chipotlane we used near us, we’d pull up and the order was in a bad on a rack waiting. Sometimes they’d pour the drinks right before handing them through the window.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 12th, 2022, 11:01 am

500 units on the site of a shuttered middle school. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-bu ... l-in-eagan

Nearish to a Red Line station?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » September 12th, 2022, 4:15 pm

One mile to the Cedar Grove Transit Station. Not great, but definitely not terrible either. Also Route 444 has a stop on Diffley Road in front of the former middle school.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 13th, 2022, 8:02 am

One mile to the Cedar Grove Transit Station. Not great, but definitely not terrible either. Also Route 444 has a stop on Diffley Road in front of the former middle school.
Maybe it is time to add a station at Diffley?

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » September 13th, 2022, 8:39 am

Maybe it is time to add a station at Diffley?
I know they are planning for one at Cliff but I doubt they'll add Diffley.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2022, 11:26 am

Or another bridge to the bus station but from Cedarvale Blvd?

Eoin_Urban
Block E

Postby Eoin_Urban » January 13th, 2023, 9:17 pm

Thomson Reuters is looking to sell a portion of their Eagan campus as employees seek hybrid work arrangements. They are looking to sell 179 of their 263 acres. They may look for a smaller space for employees in the southeast metro. Vacancy in the office market in the Eagan area apparently increased five times from the previous quarter.

https://www.twincities.com/2023/01/12/t ... s-st-paul/
https://www.startribune.com/thomson-reu ... 600243289/

I'm not very knowledgeable about the office market but I'm surprised they would look for a different site rather than just downsize where they are. I can see a lot of this land being sold for housing. I wonder if there is space in the Vikings Lake development in Eagan?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 16th, 2023, 10:17 am

I was sort of surprised that they were including the data centers in the sale, which seem to be in very high demand these days. Maybe they're old centers and no longer up to current standards, or maybe companies would rather that service be outsourced to the cloud?

In any case, this really is a huge site. To put it into terms that my brain understands, the portion that they're selling is equivalent to 36 Minneapolis city blocks.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 16th, 2023, 1:41 pm

I interviewed for a job there a few years back and am still in the parking lot trying to find my car.