Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
QuietBlue
Target Field

Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Postby QuietBlue » October 8th, 2012, 10:20 am

There's an article in the Strib this morning about a new "upscale" 332-unit apartment complex planned for Apple Valley:

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/ ... =y&refer=y

It's going to be within walking distance of AVTS/the southern terminus of the Red Line BRT. There's no information on rents yet, which I think is going to be a deciding factor in the success of this place. I do think there is considerable rental demand in the south metro, but only up to a certain price point.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Parkside Village Apartments (Apple Valley)

Postby mplsjaromir » October 8th, 2012, 2:29 pm

Third downtown?

Neptune
Block E

Postby Neptune » October 8th, 2012, 8:46 pm

For those too lazy to click the link:

Anyone know an exact address?

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » October 8th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Yes. This is always appropriate!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2012, 10:07 pm

How 'upscale', perhaps even 'luxury'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 9th, 2012, 11:09 pm

In my mind this is still sprawl. Sure people living here can take the bus to work, but once they're home, they're gonna have to use a car for pretty much anything involving stepping outside their door. I am not familiar with the surrounding area, so I could be wrong, but Apple Valley has got to be as auto oriented as you can get.

This is why I dislike the idea of the suburban transit investments. They don't seem to do much to promote urbanism and encourage city living. Sure they reduce the amount of single cars coming into downtown, but in my opinion, transit should be used as a tool to make urban lifestyles with minimal car use more attractive to the masses.

Call me an elitist snob nasa35, but if you choose to live out in the distant burbs, you should understand that you will have to put up with long and inconvenient commutes.

End rant.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Don't you see the silhouettes of pedestrians? They're on their way... to. to. To the parking lot to get their cars to drive over to Target.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 10th, 2012, 7:56 am

In my mind this is still sprawl. Sure people living here can take the bus to work, but once they're home, they're gonna have to use a car for pretty much anything involving stepping outside their door. I am not familiar with the surrounding area, so I could be wrong, but Apple Valley has got to be as auto oriented as you can get.

This is why I dislike the idea of the suburban transit investments. They don't seem to do much to promote urbanism and encourage city living. Sure they reduce the amount of single cars coming into downtown, but in my opinion, transit should be used as a tool to make urban lifestyles with minimal car use more attractive to the masses.

Call me an elitist snob nasa35, but if you choose to live out in the distant burbs, you should understand that you will have to put up with long and inconvenient commutes.

End rant.
This part of Apple Valley is actually fairly moderately-high density (for a suburb or even a city). My guess is that the area is built to house somewhere in the vacinity of 8-12 thousand people per square mile, with block after block of townhomes, apartments, etc (I'm specifically talking about the area bounded by 150th, 160th, Galaxie and Flagstaff). It's actually fairly impressive........for a MN suburb. It's the best example of transit-oriented development in the suburbs in the Twin Cities that I can think of.

My guess is that this project would be near the commercial/retail intersection near Galaxie Ave and Founders Ln, where there are plats of land that are build-to-suit and ready for this kind of development. There was recently a 4-story Senior Apartment building built near this area, as well as 3 or 4 other 4-story apartment complexes built very nearby. So the scale of this development actually fits the area just fine.

This is the Google Maps of the area (I hope!):
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=ap ... d=0CH4QtgM

mulad

Postby mulad » October 10th, 2012, 8:35 am

I found some info in the Sept 19, 2012 Planning Commission minutes. The area being developed is about half a mile east of Cedar Avenue. The building in the image posted earlier (the "Galante Building") will be on the northeast corner of Galaxie Ave and 153rd Street and will have 134 units (45.6 units/acre). It appears that a second 198-unit building (the "Gabella Building", 38.1 units/acre) will be a bit northeast of that between 152nd Street and Gabella Street -- that one is described as more suburban in character with .

It's a significant distance away from AVTS, unfortunately. Probably a 15-minute walk, so I doubt many people will do that. It might be possible to take another bus over and transfer. This situation screams out for bike connectivity, though.

That said, it's fairly well-located for people who just want to be near the retail in Apple Valley. Walking through those huge parking lots is no fun, but there's a decent amount of stuff within a 20-minute radius.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » October 10th, 2012, 10:16 am

Interesting. I had assumed it would be closer to the roundabout that is just SW of there, which would put it closer to the station. The actual locations of the buildings are a bit less convenient for access to it.

And yeah, it's a fairly dense area by local standards; there are parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul that don't have as much within walking distance. I spent a lot of time running errands here when I was carless for a little over a year -- it wasn't optimal, but it was something.

That being said, I question the idea of upscale apartments in Apple Valley, because I am not sure how much demand there is for it (as opposed to more affordable rentals, for which I definitely think there is). I'd think that someone willing to pay extra for a nicer apartment with more amenities would just as soon do so in a more desirable area. But, the developer seems to think there's a market for it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 10th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Anyone know an exact address?
That looks like it fell out of the St. Louis Park developemnt where Trader Joes is!. Is this one building or a group like in St. Louis Park??

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 11th, 2012, 7:56 am

One building, but there will be another that is sort of kiddy corner to this one. So to answer your question it's plausible to think that Apple Valley may very well be trying to build something akin to Excelsior & Grand around this park. You can see the plats of land are pretty much the right size for that kind of development.

Interesting.....

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Eagan, Apple Valley, Burnsville - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » May 5th, 2016, 10:22 am

Did we never have discussion about this 10 story office tower being converted into apartments?
http://www.emporis.com/buildings/219982 ... gan-mn-usa

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 5th, 2016, 10:27 am

Pretty sure we talked about it somewhere a while back.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 5th, 2016, 11:16 am

It's odd that Blue Cross opens an office in Minneapolis after they consolidated all their Eagan employees onto the main campus including selling and vacating that building and relinquishing their lease at Eagandale. A combination of fewer in-office employees and taking over Yankee Place North when the other companies leases expired and they were not renewed. Since I'm an employee I don't feel it's wise to say much more than that.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 21st, 2016, 8:41 am

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 21st, 2016, 12:39 pm

Anyone know anything more about this? It sounds like it's (just) a new lease of an existing building. It seems like Amazon is expanding its distribution centers across the country, including two new major distribution centers in KC and Chicago, both over 2 million SF (both cities already have one or more distribution centers like that in Shakopee). It doesn't sound like anything like that -- since I don't think there are any buildings over 2M SF in Eagan -- but I wonder if it's in that vein.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » June 21st, 2016, 12:47 pm

I do not have access to read the article, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how does Amazon wish to use this proposed facility in Eagan while having 1M SF in Shakopee? Routing east vs. west? Amazon Prime Now?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 21st, 2016, 1:27 pm

I do not have access to read the article, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how does Amazon wish to use this proposed facility in Eagan while having 1M SF in Shakopee? Routing east vs. west? Amazon Prime Now?
Not much detail on that in the article:

Minneapolis-based RJM Construction applied for the building permit in April with an estimated build-out value of $1.88 million for the 29-year-old building.

The city issued a permit in May for the 142,000-square-foot Amazon space and inspections for ramps, grid ceilings, footings and partition walls have been completed, according to building permit data.

The architect is Baltimore-based Design Collective, Garrison said, and the permit indicates there will be room and venting for delivery trucks.

It isn't clear from the building permit how many jobs or what kind Amazon plans in the center or when it will open, Garrison said.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 21st, 2016, 8:20 pm

This is why I stopped paying for the subscriber content.