St. Louis Park - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby Anondson » July 21st, 2014, 7:47 pm

Maybe in some future scenario when a commuter or LRT line gets spurred off SWLRT these 18 acres could get a urbanists redevelopment and a station. In twenty years?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Knollwood Mall - St. Louis Park

Postby Anondson » August 1st, 2014, 6:58 am

Noodles confirmed they are moving in to Knollwood. Opening in September.

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/new ... 515&r=full

It feels like the presence of Cargill in the Hopkins campus has helped the corners of TH7 and Blake/Aquila.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 1st, 2014, 10:47 am

It feels like the presence of Cargill in the Hopkins campus has helped the corners of TH7 and Blake/Aquila.
Unless you're thinking about a different facility than I am, Cargill in Hopkins isn't that close to Knollwood. I guess maybe people drive but downtown Hopkins has some nice restaurants and is within walking distance, though a long walk including a not-so-pedestrian-friendly intersection.

A bike/ped bridge or tunnel from the Cedar Lake Trail by Cargill to Main Street or Washington Ave. N. would be excellent.

I am hopeful that with SWLRT, downtown Hopkins is going to see the boom that's been building for a decade. I also hope the Hopkins Tech Center and similar properties can be redeveloped into some great TOD.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 1st, 2014, 11:30 am

I've never seen walkers from Cargill walking to either Knollwood or DT Hopkins. Around lunch time though quite a few drivers are exiting out 2nd to head toward both DT and toward Blake and Knollwood.

FWIW, many residents along the Blake corridor and 2nd complained at the open houses about the heavy Cargill traffic and are begging the redevelopment of Blake coming in 2018 do something to tame the speeds of drivers.

Getting to a tangent, but I've inquired about a ped/bike tunnel exactly as you suggest to city planners and engineers. They gave me suspicious sideways looks like I'm crazy.

But there really a noticeable amount of driving traffic coming from the east (Minneapolis?) down TH7 to Blake then 2nd to the campus. I imagine a good number of the drivers would switch to LRT and arrive at the Blake station. Knollwood is seeing a boost right now because there are so many drivers to Cargill and it is a very close drive at lunch. But if enough Minneapolis employees switch to LRT we should expect businesses popping up around Blake station area that walkers would get to from the campus.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 1st, 2014, 11:45 am

But there really a noticeable amount of driving traffic coming from the east (Minneapolis?) down TH7 to Blake then 2nd to the campus. I imagine a good number of the drivers would switch to LRT and arrive at the Blake station. Knollwood is seeing a boost right now because there are so many drivers to Cargill and it is a very close drive at lunch. But if enough Minneapolis employees switch to LRT we should expect businesses popping up around Blake station area that walkers would get to from the campus.
Huh. That's really interesting. This is a reverse commute pattern for SWLRT I hadn't even considered.

Blake is definitely going to be transformed by SWLRT. I've been waiting for the Excelsior/Blake-to-LRT Trail strip mall hell to be blown up for decades.

dragne_SDI
Block E

Postby dragne_SDI » August 2nd, 2014, 7:51 pm

Somewhat old news now, but the former Most Holy Trinity building has been demolished to make way for the Wooddale Flats condo development.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 4th, 2014, 2:41 pm

West End keeps getting better.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 4th, 2014, 6:18 pm

West End keeps getting better.
With the Yard House restaurant that recently opened, the under construction Bonefish Grill, and the announced bowling alley/bar/restaurant... The West End really is a restaurant entertainment hub with a few other shops mixed in. It will be nearly 100% occupied once these are all open.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 5th, 2014, 8:19 am

What about the 1.5 million square feet of office space? If you think about it, there aren't many better sites for new office development in the Twin Cities than the West End in St. Louis Park. I'm fine if they wait until the next office boom (whenever that happens), but I'm a bit surprised that even in this currently soft market nobody has proposed anything in this location.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 8:21 am

Which makes me wonder... why aren't we talking about building excellent transit to West End? Is it because the plans aren't hypothetical enough?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 5th, 2014, 8:32 am

Which makes me wonder... why aren't we talking about building excellent transit to West End? Is it because the plans aren't hypothetical enough?
We just have to tear it all down so there can be enough "potential" development room in the future.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 5th, 2014, 8:39 am

This isnt downtown. I am told we shouldnt support any development outside the core.

Anondson
IDS Center

St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby Anondson » August 5th, 2014, 9:01 am

With the big lots along 100 being banked for future office and the parking ramp for it, I'm hoping the Parkdale area just south of West End gets redeveloped mixed use.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 5th, 2014, 9:03 am

We just have to tear it all down so there can be enough "potential" development room in the future.
This is too true to be funny.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 5th, 2014, 9:57 am

Why is West End any more magical than the dozen other major suburban retail/office nodes that we're loathe to extend transit access to?

(Somewhat rhetorical -- I know it's sort of a unique condition. But as near as I can tell, the main reason we keep talking about it is because somebody's got a fantasy transit map that he literally can't help but bang the drum for.)

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 5th, 2014, 10:02 am

Why is West End any more magical than the dozen other major suburban retail/office nodes that we're loathe to extend transit access to?

(Somewhat rhetorical -- I know it's sort of a unique condition. But as near as I can tell, the main reason we keep talking about it is because somebody's got a fantasy transit map that he literally can't help but bang the drum for.)
I'm not sure which ones you are referring to, but it is far closer than most other suburban retail/office areas. It is about 3.5 miles from the middle of nicollet mall. Rosedale is 8, Southdale is >8, the Brooklyn Park end of the blue line is 13 miles, etc.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 5th, 2014, 10:05 am

The least Metro Transit could do is straighten out the Route 9 into something comprehensible. Expert transit riders can't even crack that nut. The western half of it (west of Ramp A / Target Field) really ought to be broken into two separate routes. The current operation is just trying to do too much.

I really thought the 675 served West End. I thought wrong. Looks like Louisiana is the easternmost stop before it goes full express mode into downtown. For those that don't know, the 675 is a very well utilized hybrid express/local route that serves many nodes along the frontage road including Ridgedale, General Mills, CR-73 P&R, Louisiana Transit Center/P&R. It runs at least hourly throughout the day and even has weekend service. It's just beggin for some kind of branding (though it doesn't really fit into aBRT or METRO).

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 5th, 2014, 10:10 am

I-394 BRT is probably the best long-term option, but its not even on the met council's radar. If the Orange Line is successful this should be next.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2014, 10:25 am

I guess it's too difficult for some people to think about the walkability, job/housing density, and proximity to other nodes to compare one node to another. That explains many of our current political outcomes when it comes to transit.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 5th, 2014, 10:30 am

I-394 BRT is probably the best long-term option, but its not even on the met council's radar. If the Orange Line is successful this should be next.
Actually the recently completed Highway Transitway Corridor Study determined that BRT on 394 would be one of the most successful suburban transit lines. In reality, that probably means nothing will happen for a long time.