St. Louis Park - General Topics

Twin Cities Suburbs
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby DanPatchToget » August 6th, 2019, 3:03 pm

It’s an improvement, though two complaints I have are the gap between Park Center Boulevard and the Highway 100 ramp, and the off-street bike facility between Park Center Boulevard and Belt Line. I don’t trust motorists to stop before the crosswalk as they usually go as far forward as they can to see traffic from the left.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 8:10 am

Shouldn’t everything be protected/separated bike lanes these days?

This will be with us for 50+ Years. This area is dense & getting denser, next to 2 LRT stations!

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » August 8th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Woof. That section between TH 100 ramp and and Beltline is really all over the board. At some points they have a quasi-protected bike lane, at some points they have bikes and pedestrians sharing a 6' sidewalk.

Beltline is OK, but I'd like to see at least a 10' MUP (or 12' if back-of-curb) to provide a substantial "spur" from the regional trail into the business district in SLP.

Also would prefer wider circulating areas and separate crosswalk/crossbike on roundabouts, like the new Richfield ones. I'm not sure the separation of modes is hyper-important, but having some elbow room helps.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » August 8th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm

Melrose Company is coming to the city for an additional extension for Arlington Row East and West, according to the August 12 work study agenda.

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » September 11th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Park Spanish Immersion school moved to the old Cedar Manor building this school year. It's a huge improvement in the facility, but bike access is pretty bad along Cedar Lake road. I know they're improving the east end of Cedar Lake Rd, but I haven't been able to find anything on the west end, to Hwy 169. Considering this serves kindergarten through 5th grade, I'd hope this is somewhere in scope.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 11th, 2019, 2:18 pm

There is a plan to change 169 in the space between Cedar Lake Rd and Minnetonka Blvd with a pseudo-frontage road. Not sure if there was any plan for a bike/sidewalk though

rmc
City Center

Postby rmc » September 12th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Assuming you're referring to the Hwy 169 Mobility Study: https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy169study/.
The improvements to Cedar Lake Rd and possible frontage roads have loads of contingencies and a proposed implementation span of 2022 - 2043. I won't hold my breath. ;)

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » October 8th, 2019, 11:46 am

The Block restaurant is having its grand opening today. 7007 Walker St (the old Park Vacuum building). They've been sharing pics of the menu on Instagram over the past couple of weeks. I think there's probably something for everyone, and it all looks good. Dog friendly, in fact, I believe there's a dog menu.
It's run by Craft and Crew Hospitality which also run Stanley's NE, Pub 819, and The Howe.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 10th, 2019, 5:25 pm

There is a public feedback survey on the future of the Texa Tonka area.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5253406/ ... ovdelivery

This has been shared out on Nextdoor where folks mad at apartments causing damage to single family homes, and about 250 units causing traffic apocalypse where Minnetonka Blvd here carries 12,000–14,000 vehicles per day, Texas north carries under 4,500, Texas south carries 8,000.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 28th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Texa Tonka looks like it could get housing. Neighbors will rage. https://finance-commerce.com/2020/01/pa ... ouis-park/

Apartments near the North Cedar Lake Trail and the bus routes on Minnetonka Blvd are nice.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 28th, 2020, 8:14 pm

I sat next to Rachel Harris (new SLP city Council member) for dinner tonight. She lives down the block and said the neighborhood will actually be behind this one (surprise surprise). They have been very anxious to see something done with that vacant lot that has been there for decades.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 28th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Neighbor here. I'm ecstatic.

Anondson
IDS Center

St. Louis Park - General Topics

Postby Anondson » January 28th, 2020, 9:13 pm

I trust Rachel’s perspective that there will be a lot of support. But based on Nextdoor griping, there will be a lot of spleen venting as well. There are a lot of old timers who see all the apartments around Aquila as the only representation of what rentals mean, that more rentals in the neighborhood spells the continued slide of quality of life for Texa Tonka-adjacent neighborhoods.

But you are right that that lot has been such a source of complaints for so long. A redevelopment like this proposal is about the perfect way to start more redevelopment of the district, after 5 years of folks seeing it wasn’t a big problem after all, the other nearby properties will be easier to accept changing.

Oh! And next time you see Rachel tell her I said “hi!” (high school classmate of hers). I loudly cheered when I heard she was elected!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » January 29th, 2020, 9:19 am

Lol, I was just reading the Nextdoor thread as well. It's about time somebody does something with that empty lot.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » January 29th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Lol, I was just reading the Nextdoor thread as well. It's about time somebody does something with that empty lot.
The keyboard warriors are all in on fighting this one!

One even suggested they wanted to get rid of the apartment because it wasn't a residential use for the neighborhood! :? :roll: :lol:

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » January 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Not a lot gets proposed in this area of SLP so I've never seen Nextdoor like this. I can't imagine what it's like in Minneapolis, just a daily drumbeat of ire...

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Unrelated, but have heard some rumors starting to float around the neighborhood that the strip mall hosting Micro Center may not be long for this world...

A slight shame, as I was really looking forward to taking the train to Micro Center.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 29th, 2020, 4:38 pm

That block has been expected to get redeveloped ever since Hoigaard Village finished. I hope they can find a location along the line and don’t close.

trafficeng985
Block E

Postby trafficeng985 » January 30th, 2020, 8:33 am

Unrelated, but have heard some rumors starting to float around the neighborhood that the strip mall hosting Micro Center may not be long for this world...

A slight shame, as I was really looking forward to taking the train to Micro Center.
I am hoping they can relocate or be incorporated. That retail center with Burlington is such an eyesore though