The Three Nine Four - Golden Valley

Twin Cities Suburbs
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

The Three Nine Four - Golden Valley

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 2nd, 2012, 7:16 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... ntals.html

This would entail 308 units of rental housing and 118 units of senior housing in a $30+ million development by Global One, scheduled for committee reviews this week or next. It would be located in the NW quadrant of the Hwy 100 and I-394 intersection in Golden Valley, next to the Good Day Cafe.

NickP
Target Field

Re: The Three Nine Four (Golden Valley)

Postby NickP » November 2nd, 2012, 10:44 am

Hey Min, Thanks for the info, but I think this is the same as the Colonade apartments. Can anyone confirm?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am

Sounds like a different project on a site in the same general vicinity as the Colonnade.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 2nd, 2012, 10:57 am

Cool. Thanks MN. I was confused because when I opened the like the picture looked the same as in the Colonnade article. :)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 2nd, 2012, 11:28 am

The article has gone subscriber only. This project is behind the Collonade project. There was a rendering....
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 2nd, 2012, 1:29 pm

Here's a rendering and site plans:

http://gv-img.ci.golden-valley.mn.us/Pu ... age73.aspx

I'll be curious whether the city requires the height be reduced in at least the part that is very close to the single-family homes. From a land use perspective, dense housing seems more compatible with the surroundings than the existing very low density housing. From an aesthetic perspective, a six story building would better match the 60' ROW of Circle Down better than the existing ranch homes. So maybe the solution is to rezone Circle Down for high-density residential.
"Who rescued whom!"

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 2nd, 2012, 2:15 pm

From a land use perspective, dense housing seems more compatible with the surroundings than the existing very low density housing.
I agree with this sentiment and think it could be applied to a lot of arguments about density/height around the city. Rather than critiquing a proposal for being too big, maybe a reevaluation of what should be there is more appropriate. Just because something was built first doesn't make it the "correct" scale for the area.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 2nd, 2012, 9:19 pm

Man.....I was hoping since the #of units jumped by 100 to 300+ from the original proposal I was hoping the height would change, but apparently 6 stories is the tallest developers will build outside of the downtown core.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 2nd, 2012, 10:12 pm

The 36th and Park Center project was 11 stories, Bloomington Hotel 16 stories, American and Penn 8 stories, UHG HQ is pretty tall from what I remember...

I would like to see something tall here, so it fits in with the office towers.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 3rd, 2012, 9:13 am

The 36th and Park Center project was 11 stories, Bloomington Hotel 16 stories, American and Penn 8 stories, UHG HQ is pretty tall from what I remember...

I would like to see something tall here, so it fits in with the office towers.
I know this......it wasn't meant to be taken quite that literally, but thanks.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » November 3rd, 2012, 12:57 pm

I have some time to kill, so I'd like to use it to clarify that my above comments shouldn't be interpreted as an endorsement of this specific proposal, but rather of the general land use and intensity. On the contrary, I think the proposal exhibits some of the worst characteristics of suburban development. The buildings are massed in a seemingly arbitrary manner, without consideration of the effective pathways that will be created by the users of the space. Putting the main section of the larger building in the center of the site makes no sense as it forces the recreational area to be right on the freeway- who's going to want to have a picnic or even a swim right next to thousands of roaring cars? If they instead grouped the buildings on the south side of the site, they would not only have the option of a sheltered green space, they would more easily someday be able to build more buildings on the parking lot space. And if the positioning of the two buildings were flipped, it would better approximate a useful block pattern that could be made into a small grid with the redevelopment of the Circle Down ranch homes.

Of course, Golden Valley has no policies encouraging developers building on their own initiatives to engage in this sort of forward thinking. This site is included in their 394 corridor planning effort, but the recommendations there are vague and weak, specific only in the vague toothless scenarios that tend to pepper this sort of planning but never result in anything tangible. Golden Valley and other munipalities should get specific about clustering buildings to recreate street grids and allow space for future infill, get tough about obsolete land uses like ranch houses a block away from office towers, and get real about the likelihood that a transportation system based around single occupancy vehicles will be unfeasible and undesirable in the near future.
"Who rescued whom!"

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: The Three Nine Four - Golden Valley

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2013, 8:55 am

This thing is moving forward and has received approvals from the Housing and Redevelopment Authority in Golden Valley:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... rward.html

I really like the Senior portion of the building......reminds me of some of the kinds of architecture I see here where I live in Shaker Heights, OH!!

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 7th, 2013, 10:38 am

I totally loled when I saw this thing. Pretty sure I went on this ride at Epcot when I was 3 years old.
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2013, 11:13 am

It's like a European chalet!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Now that's Architecture!

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 7th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Do we have a name for this wonderful new form? It's not brutalist, yet it tantalizingly is...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2013, 12:29 pm

How many window styles can you count?

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » June 7th, 2013, 2:41 pm

This looks like Oaks Station place and 222 Hennepin had an illegitimate child.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 7th, 2013, 3:06 pm

They named it after the freeway. And they spelled it out, because that's classy, I guess.

I think we've reached the nadir of bad project names.

On a constructive note, it seems like a lot of the suburbs seem to have tougher and more lengthy approval processes than Minneapolis. Is that the case, or am I off base there?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 10th, 2013, 7:59 am

This isn't the project, is it?

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ments.html

"The Xenia" will have 373 units and 5 floors.