Blue Line Extension - Bottineau LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
alexschief
Foshay Tower

Re: Blue Line Extension - Bottineau LRT

Postby alexschief » June 11th, 2021, 10:49 am

I'm not saying that this couldn't ultimately kill the project or that this isn't how Robbinsdale feels right now, but I think people should treat future threats like this with some skepticism.

Think of it like the opening salvos of a negotiation. Robbinsdale will lay out their issues with the alignment, the Met Council will propose some mitigation strategies, and they'll go back and forth. All the while, there will be political pressure from the state and neighboring communities to reach an accommodation. There will be at least one election as well. It's easier to negotiate with a small municipality than it is with a freight railroad giant.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » June 11th, 2021, 1:17 pm

I glanced at the maps, there is no way to route this around Robbinsdale. Maybe Broadway to Penn to Brooklyn Blvd to Bottineau? I have to say given the drastic changes and risks N Mpls faces from this through construction, it's insulting that Robbinsdale is afraid their car-centric strip-mall commercial district will be ruined. I don't think going back to BNSF is a terrible idea however...(then I live 6 blocks from a potential station so I'm biased.)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 11th, 2021, 2:03 pm

There's a good opportunity here to make Bottineau Blvd not terrible in Robbinsdale. If Broadway gets slimmed to one lane each way, that should be continued up to 42nd St/Hwy 100. North of there, it's probably a lost cause to do traffic calming, but hopefully they can do a good job at Bass Lake and 63rd.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » June 11th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Anyone know the width of Bottineau Blvd at its narrowest?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 11th, 2021, 3:29 pm

It’s about 100’, give or take. Still fairly narrow, but feasible.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 11th, 2021, 3:54 pm

The county is rebuilding the Broadway/Lowry/Wirth interchange. That is completely insane and is going to be more difficult for rail to go through.

It seems that it would be fine to have Lowry/Oakdale intersect with Broadway and close off Wirth Pkwy from connecting through for cars.

Here's the project page for those who are interested:
https://www.hennepin.us/west-broadway-bridges