Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby EOst » April 28th, 2017, 3:09 pm

That's a good long-term vision, but I think a good near-term would be a bike box on the NE corner of Emerson/Plymouth.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » April 28th, 2017, 3:20 pm

I'm always glad to see curb extensions, but I really don't understand how the city decides to use them. They seem to be reconstructing most corners anyway and someone thought about it enough to extend the curb on one corner, but the other three corners could be extended one way or another without impeding any lane where cars or bikes are moving, and force the turning movements out of parking lanes and into the travel lane.

I wish they would do this at every corner in the city for pedestrian safety (shorter crossings and improved visibility), engineering enforced parking law abidance (no parking with 20? feet of the corner), and safer car movements from better visibility around corners.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 28th, 2017, 3:47 pm

engineering enforced parking law abidance (no parking with 20? feet of the corner), and safer car movements from better visibility around corners.
And no parking with 10 feet of an alley and no goddamn four-foot-high planters at the end of the alley blocking views of pedestrians.

Ahem.

Sorry not sorry.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 1st, 2017, 10:19 am

Kind of odd that they're planning to put the bike lanes on the left side of traffic for each of these, especially because the "future 7th Street protected bikeway" would then require a northbound biker to somehow switch from the right to the left side of the road to maintain protection.
10th Street does that between Portland and Park. It's weird.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 1st, 2017, 10:21 am

As does 9th St at Hennepin. It sucks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 3rd, 2017, 1:05 pm

The Met Council is asking for feedback about identifying regional bicycling barriers:
https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Tr ... -help.aspx

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 4th, 2017, 4:37 pm

The Met Council is asking for feedback about identifying regional bicycling barriers:
https://metrocouncil.org/News-Events/Tr ... -help.aspx
Great! Thanks for the link.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » May 9th, 2017, 7:50 am

Reminder:
There is a public meeting tonight at Longfellow Park (3435 36th Ave S) concerning the proposed 38th Street bike lanes. Meeting starts at 6:30. Definitely come and support bicycle infrastructure, especially if you live in greater Longfellow.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2017, 10:07 am

I hadn't seen the new plans, which call for parking in the bike lane in front of Fireroast: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/p ... MSP-187984

Dammit. Now I have to try to go to the meeting.

Fireroast has a parking lot. It's currently not using it for parking, but rather as outdoor seating. It is not hurting for parking.

And also, parking new Riverview Cafe in the bike lane, where there's currently no parking!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 9th, 2017, 10:31 am

So, all three businesses that are getting to block the bike lane for parking already have parking lots? Am I seeing that right?

Edit: I am not. Mother Earth's parking/loading zone would not block the bike lane. But still, if parking is that important to their business model, presumably they would reserve some of their lot for it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2017, 10:59 am

Mother Earth's complaint, at least that I've seen, is about loading and unloading of deliveries. The revised plan seems to deal with that - adding a loading zone on 38th where the street widens a bit. That's fine.

The two coffee shops are complaining about parking, and apparently getting it.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 9th, 2017, 11:12 am

I guess I don't have a big problem with the parking near the coffee shops, as it's restricted. I'm just not sure it will be enforced though.

Beachclub
Block E

Postby Beachclub » May 9th, 2017, 11:42 am

I am not okay with the parking near the coffee shops, even if restricted, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I think continuous bike lanes are important so that drivers and cyclists can predict each others behavior. While I may be comfortable merging into moving traffic on a bike, many younger or less experienced cyclists may not be. Our goal should be to make cycling safe for people of all abilities. Second, there are over 180 parking spaces within one block of 42nd Ave on 36th and 37th street, and another 180 within a block on 42nd and 43rd. If the coffee shops need more more grab and go spots they should use their parking lots for that and let other customers find on street parking. Breaking up the bike lane needlessly decreases the safety of the street to provide subsidized parking for these businesses.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2017, 1:53 pm

One other thing happening here but also on nearly all projects: Why are we not bugging Metro Transit into moving bus stops to the far side of intersections concurrent with projects like this? Metro Transit wants it, and it’s highly beneficial for pedestrians for a variety of reasons. Simple change, big results!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 9th, 2017, 2:01 pm

Metro Transit wants it...
Do we actually know that this is true? Because it seems like if they really do want it, they're not even lifting a finger to make it happen.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Yes I have a variety of PDFs that say that very thing. Yet my experience with these types of projects elsewhere is that Metro Transit doesn't really get engaged. They basically get engaged enough to try and block potential problems (layover locations, tight turns, etc) but they don't get engaged to leverage projects as an opportunity to improve things for their actual customers - transit riders.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm

By accident I drove through the W. 54th St bike boulevard. It's amazing. I want that should be the default intersection design for every local residential intersection in every Minnesota city.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 12th, 2017, 10:06 pm

By accident I drove through the W. 54th St bike boulevard. It's amazing. I want that should be the default intersection design for every local residential intersection in every Minnesota city.
Not being a biker or a Minneapolis(?) resident, where exactly is this?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 12th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Get to France Ave and 54th, then go east. Every other intersection had a traffic circle added to the pre-existing intersection. It's a very simple change that demonstrates there is room for them and these do things slow cars.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 19th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Just finished a fantastic kickoff meeting for the 2018 Edina 10-year Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan management team.

If you live, work, or play in Edina, now is the time for The Airing of Grievances.

Positive suggestions welcomed, too. :-)