Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby ProspectPete » October 23rd, 2014, 10:17 am

Does anyone know if the highway 52 span over the Mississippi currently under construction will have a bike/ ped path? I know that they put one on the northbound span. Hoping they do the same for southbound.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 23rd, 2014, 10:24 am

Yes.
"the new northbound Lafayette Bridge will include a pedestrian and bicycle crossing over the Mississippi River."
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/lafayettebridge/

Looks like we had a bridge thread at Minnescraper but not here. Archive: https://forum.streets.mn/archive/Minnescrape ... f=6&t=1751

Here's the US 52 thread which may contain bridge updates.
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1003

mulad

Postby mulad » October 23rd, 2014, 12:39 pm

I think you may have responded a bit too quickly Matt -- I don't believe there's going to be a bike/ped path on the southbound span (currently under construction), though there is a bike/ped path on the northbound span (the span is completed, though I don't know if the path has opened yet).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 23rd, 2014, 12:46 pm

I figured he was referring to the bridge as an entity, not the northbound or southbound span. Yes, the bike path will be on the east side. It likely won't be open until well after the southbound span is completed, but I don't know for sure.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 25th, 2014, 9:51 am

Has anybody ridding to Ward 6 on the east side on their bike. There is a dirt road which goes down into the woods and hits the Swede Hollow (Phalen) bike trail. With just a little bit of asphalt and signage you would have a great connection to Payne Ave.
Maybe some STRAVA users have to pass through there a few thousand times ;-).

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 27th, 2014, 9:02 am

mulad

Postby mulad » October 27th, 2014, 10:24 am

My quick glance at those charts seemed to show that Nice Ride was doing a lot better than most other bike-share systems for getting participation from lower income groups, though I wouldn't be surprised if that's due to a large UMN student contingent.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » October 27th, 2014, 11:46 am

Article about a "complete street" planned for Jackson in DT St Paul. It will end at 11th, which is just a few blocks from the planned terminal point of the gateway trail.

http://finance-commerce.com/2014/10/dow ... nt-page-1/

illman00
City Center

Postby illman00 » October 29th, 2014, 6:32 pm

The company doing painting the lines in that picture is named "Sir Lines-a-Lot"

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 31st, 2014, 12:29 pm

Marcy Holmes wants help deciding on signage/info for Dinkytown Greenway.

https://twitter.com/MarcyHolmesMpls/sta ... 8076999680

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 1st, 2014, 1:27 am

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » November 5th, 2014, 11:28 am

prospect Pete - that's the Aguirre Connection that is on hold due to disputes with neighbors and an unsafe retaining wall on the way down. Just northeast of there is supposed to be a bicycle boulevard on Greenbrier. I and a couple other people are trying to figure out how to connect Greenbrier via Wells to this connection without having to go on Payne, but it's a real headache.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 12th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 12th, 2014, 7:55 pm

Bit of a black eye for reducing lanes to 10 feet.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 12th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Strange indeed. That was perhaps the most even-handed criticism of bike infrastructure I've ever read. I kept waiting for him to veer off into full anti-bike mode, but it never happened. The climax was basically telling his neighbors that they should've paid attention during the 2+ years of public input, instead of complaining after the fact.

I question some of his numbers though... Is the bike/ped ROW really 20'? He claims it's a 7' ped zone, 10' bike zone, and 3' buffer. He measured 10'9" for the eastbound travel lane and tries to portray that as dangerous. C'mon, it's pretty well established that 10'6" is enough. He states that most buses measure 10'5" mirror to mirror. That sounds about right to me. He then goes on to state newer buses used in this corridor are 11' mirror to mirror...what's that all about? That one requires a link before I believe it.

I dunno, is it too much to ask that people drive a little slower and with a little more care in this area, bus drivers included? That said, I hope the city does take bus driver input seriously about tight turns, etc.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 13th, 2014, 12:12 pm

http://www.boredpanda.com/van-gogh-star ... osegaarde/

Glowing Bicycle Paths in Holland...

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 13th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Bit of a black eye for reducing lanes to 10 feet.
I'm not sure about that. The studies he reference never give an indication of what percent of overall incidents the bus sideswiping accounted for, and how severe they were. Sure, sideswiping collisions may increase, but what about total traffic collisions? Fatalities? etc.

I also dislike the part where the author asks "This industry background begs the question whether the new width was planned and if Metro Transit was aware of this design?" only to later on (when many people have stopped reading...) says "For their part, Metro Transit confirmed that they were consulted on the design of the new lanes." Why wait many paragraphs to confirm they were indeed consulted?

However, I will admit as far as bike infrastructure reporting with critique goes, this was top of the heap. No hyperbole save for the quote of the neighbors. Of course, I live half a block away from this thing and can say without a doubt that 1) congestion has not become a problem, and 2) cars are definitely driving slower, particularly when cars are parked on the north side of 36th.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 13th, 2014, 1:46 pm

I've said my piece on this before, but the argument for 10' lanes break down as soon as the snow banks start impinging on reality. And yes, obviously if snow plows were driven by UrbanMSPers, this wouldn't be an issue because they'd plow curb to curb every time.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 13th, 2014, 2:00 pm

I've said my piece on this before, but the argument for 10' lanes break down as soon as the snow banks start impinging on reality. And yes, obviously if snow plows were driven by UrbanMSPers, this wouldn't be an issue because they'd plow curb to curb every time.
I guess we'll see how the plowing and maintenance goes this winter. If this becomes really problematic on 36th, there might be more hesitation next time.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 13th, 2014, 2:05 pm

^Luckily, there's a 3' buffer area between the protected cycle track and a full 9' parking lane on the opposite side of the street, both of which can be used for (temporary) snow storage. And, these are 11' lanes (10'9" acc to the article), not 10'.