B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Foshay Tower

Re: B Line Lake St Rapid Bus, Midtown Rail Transit

Postby DanPatchToget » March 1st, 2021, 8:11 pm

Here's the final report on the Midtown Corridor study from 2014: https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... ow-res.pdf

For light rail/streetcar on the Greenway, they assume it would be single car LRV or modern streetcar that's approximately 94 feet long.

Trademark
Nicollet Mall

Postby Trademark » March 2nd, 2021, 1:25 am

Here's the final report on the Midtown Corridor study from 2014: https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... ow-res.pdf

For light rail/streetcar on the Greenway, they assume it would be single car LRV or modern streetcar that's approximately 94 feet long.
Thanks for posting! I love reading through old studies!

DanPatchToget
Foshay Tower

Postby DanPatchToget » March 2nd, 2021, 11:51 am

Response from the B Line project team about adding a station at France & Lake:

"West Lake Street Station has been proposed as the western endpoint for the B Line because it will create a critical transitway connection following completion of the METRO Green Line Extension and will provide for convenient transfers between the B Line and the Green Line, where customers will use stairs and elevators to move between the BRT and light rail platforms.

Locating the westernmost B Line station at France Avenue would require riders to walk an additional ~1,100 feet to transfer to and from the Green Line. However, because there is not space for B Line buses to turn around and layover between trips on the Lake Street Bridge, B Line buses will use the Lake Street and France Avenue site as a layover location.

Constructing B Line stations at both locations has not been proposed because it would be inconsistent with BRT station spacing guidelines, which call for stations to be placed every third- to half-mile on average, and the projected ridership in this area does not warrant an additional station, despite additional development in the area. An additional station would also increase project costs, and could cause confusion for both riders and drivers in an area with quite a bit of movement and activity. It’s something we are continuing to track, but are ultimately not considering a station at this time."

First it seems like they're intentionally misreading what I wrote. I didn't say anything about relocating the western terminus to France. Then it seems like they're in search of problems to a solution when they say it could cause confusion for riders and drivers because there's a lot of movement and activity in the area. I don't see how that's a deal breaker for adding a station. Literally everywhere in South Minneapolis has a lot of "movement and activity."

I'm probably going into a little bit of a rant here, it's just quite frustrating when something as simple and easy as this gets muddied for no apparent reason.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » March 2nd, 2021, 11:55 am

I think it's a bit obtuse of them to so easily write off a station at France. It doesn't add any additional travel time, and they're compromising station spacing elsewhere.

Personally I prefer a 1/4-1/3 mile stop spacing so that the local buses can be removed to prevent situations where extra service is running almost empty all day. I feel like 3 more stations along the B Line would be enough to remove the 21 local service completely.

StandishGuy
Block E

Postby StandishGuy » March 14th, 2021, 11:01 am

So, I just read through all 33 pages of this thread that started way back in 2012. It appears that the Midtown Greenway rail concept hasn't been added to the MSP region's queue of projects, right? It is mentioned the Minneapolis Transportation Action Plan as a big transit priority for the City, however.