Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Blue Line (Hiawatha)

Postby Tcmetro » September 18th, 2012, 6:36 am

Talk of an extension along Cedar Ave quickly died c. 2000 when the Cedar Ave Feasibility Study recommended BRT.

I don't see any point in a southern extension of the Hiawatha Line, mainly because there is a severe lack of nodes and residential densities are relatively low. Even an extension along 494 would be a bad idea, simply because the area is so unwalkable.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 18th, 2012, 8:17 am

Talk of an extension along Cedar Ave quickly died c. 2000 when the Cedar Ave Feasibility Study recommended BRT.
The biggest factor here was probably the Cedar Ave Bridge... LRT would have required a new bridge, probably in between the existing bridges or to the side. BRT can run on the existing six lane bridge (and the shoulders are bus lanes for periods of congestion). The other big factor is that most of the BRT project so far seems to have been for improved roads for cars.

I used to commute from AVTS, and would occasionally transfer to the MOA (to the 442 IIRC) to get from Mpls to AVTS if it was after express bus hours. It was a total pain and transfer penalty is wording it nicely.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 22nd, 2012, 11:59 am

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 22nd, 2012, 12:05 pm

Any idea when they will start testing it (if they haven't already) It will be nice to see outside the maintenance building.
My flickr photos.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 22nd, 2012, 7:51 pm

So, a tiny colored light on the front of the train is going to tell people the difference between green line and blue line....? :roll:

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 22nd, 2012, 9:08 pm

That's how they do it in Portland and it seems to work fine.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 22nd, 2012, 10:02 pm

So, a tiny colored light on the front of the train is going to tell people the difference between green line and blue line....? :roll:
Well, just that light, as well as text saying "GREEN LINE". I am sure it will alternate between that and the destination.

Any word on if the Bombardier LRVs will be retrofitted to display color? The current destination signs aren't very bright.
My flickr photos.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 23rd, 2012, 4:12 am

by MSPtoMKE »
Any word on if the Bombardier LRVs will be retrofitted to display color? The current destination signs aren't very bright.
Yes, the Bombardier LRV will have the destination signs upgraded.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 23rd, 2012, 1:41 pm

How do we tell where a bus is going. By the destination sign on the front of the bus. Same will hold true for the trains. Trains will have MOA or St. PAul of DTWN MPLS. There will be no little collored lights!! This out of the mouth of anLTR train driver that I live with! Can't get any more close to the source than that!

MN_Badger
Block E

Postby MN_Badger » September 23rd, 2012, 2:29 pm

How do we tell where a bus is going. By the destination sign on the front of the bus. Same will hold true for the trains. Trains will have MOA or St. PAul of DTWN MPLS. There will be no little collored lights!! This out of the mouth of anLTR train driver that I live with! Can't get any more close to the source than that!
The 5000-series CTA cars now running on the Pink line show nothing but 54th/Cermak on the display. Unlike all other cars in the system, there is no indicator of which color line you're on other than the terminus. If you're familiar with the system this isn't a problem, but I can imagine it causes a bit of confusion for out-of-towners.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 23rd, 2012, 7:21 pm

Well, LRV Op Dude (a Light Rail operator on the Hiawatha Line) just said in the post above you that the current Bombardier LRVs will be retrofitted to display color. I doubt they would do that if they didn't plan on using the color indicator. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nova buses that are for the Cedar Ave BRT would have a red square on the display, to be consistent.
My flickr photos.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 23rd, 2012, 10:54 pm

The 5000-series CTA cars now running on the Pink line show nothing but 54th/Cermak on the display. Unlike all other cars in the system, there is no indicator of which color line you're on other than the terminus. If you're familiar with the system this isn't a problem, but I can imagine it causes a bit of confusion for out-of-towners.
The 5000's have been upgraded to color signs that imitate the older rollsigns.

I prefer rollsigns to the electronic screens anyways.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » September 24th, 2012, 12:52 am

Yes, the 5000 series cars are in the process of having their signs replaced to support color. While the problem was significantly worse for tourists (who usually can't equate destination name with line color) it was also a problem for anyone on loop stations-- with a colored sign you can identify what line a train is from several blocks away, with just the destination name you can only read it about 250 feet away. I agree that the rollsigns are more aesthetically pleasing. Presumably the LEDs offer other advantages.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 24th, 2012, 3:24 am

Well, LRV Op Dude (a Light Rail operator on the Hiawatha Line) just said in the post above you that the current Bombardier LRVs will be retrofitted to display color.
Well , I would like to clarify that Metro Transit are going to upgrade the destinations signs. I not sure that will display color. Sorry for the miss understanding. But, I can't not imagine Metro Transit ordering a destination sign that displays color on the new LRVs and not use them. Time will tell.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 24th, 2012, 9:17 am

Also how long until NexTrip signs identify upcoming trains? Something like this...
2 min BL Mall Of America
4 min GR St. Paul Union Depot

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 24th, 2012, 10:52 am

Currently NexTrip doesn't work on the train, if you just go to the website it only lists scheduled departure times, not expected. But even if you go by scheduled times, it shouldn't be to hard to put an ETA up.

Hell, if the WMATA can display expected train arrivals, then I think we can do it too.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 25th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Saw the new Seimens train up close today, those have a green box, but I'm not sure if that will change color or not. As far and the older trains and being retro fitted with new signs. Not sure if they will be color coded or not.

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » September 27th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Looks like the Blue Line is getting one more late night trip. The last run will leave Target Field at 2:57am on weekends. The previous last run was at 2:13am.

Article: http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 49991.html

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 27th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Well, that means for 2 days of the week, Hiawatha will effectively operate 24 hours a day. The first southbound trip of the day leaves Target Field at a little after 4. There will still be a 2 hour or so gap between the northbound trips, however...
My flickr photos.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 28th, 2012, 11:07 am

Good for them.