Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Downtown)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
fehler
Rice Park

Re: Hennepin Avenue

Postby fehler » February 11th, 2013, 9:25 am

I find those finding signs to be more of a note that "I'd rather not be here." Not the best message to send on Hennepin Avenue.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 11th, 2013, 10:51 am

Haha -- reminds me that the question I get asked most often in downtown Minneapolis is, "Do you know how to get to Barfly?"

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » February 11th, 2013, 2:17 pm

I especially like the 30 foot Sea Rays that will be hanging out on the Mississippi under Hennepin ave.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2013, 9:32 am

ya'll can download the actual study here rather than looking at the newspapers articles and confusing pictures... I think I posted this back when we lost all that data...

http://www.hennepintheatretrust.org/plan-it-hennepin

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » February 13th, 2013, 1:02 pm

this is an interesting detail from their plan "Encouraging chalk drawings on sidewalks"

I seem to recall people being arrested (or at least extremely harassed by police) for doing this same thing not too long ago in downtown... now all the sudden it is good?

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » February 13th, 2013, 1:32 pm

I like the park idea to replace the P.O. parking ramp:

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » February 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm

this is an interesting detail from their plan "Encouraging chalk drawings on sidewalks"

I seem to recall people being arrested (or at least extremely harassed by police) for doing this same thing not too long ago in downtown... now all the sudden it is good?
Well I suppose it matters if you're chalking the sidewalk in a campaign to replace the Hennepin County Sheriff with a kitten.

And then of course she won a $15,000 federal civil rights lawsuit as a result of being arrested for writing political slogans in chalk.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » February 13th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I like the park idea to replace the P.O. parking ramp:

Agreed - this is my favorite idea, and will tie in with the other changes planned between there and the Stone Arch Bridge. That could be the place - other than across the river - to sit and enjoy the river. And, it shows off the architecture of the post office, instead of covering that end with a ramp. Rather than in the middle of Hennepin (WTF?), this could be the place for some sculpture.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 13th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Did anyone else completely miss the aerial tram coming out of the post office? I did until just now. They looked like little flying taxis at first. But no, totally a tram with no visible support system.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm

I didn't notice the skyride coming out of the post office before...looks like it's headed to De La Salle only it will be about 600 feet off the ground by the time it gets there. It'd be a pretty chilly ride in the winter, but think of the views during the Aquatennial fireworks.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 13th, 2013, 2:26 pm

Did anyone else completely miss the aerial tram coming out of the post office? I did until just now. They looked like little flying taxis at first. But no, totally a tram with no visible support system.
I saw it, but I didn't want to dignify it with my attention, as it is both:

A.) Weird.
B.) Never getting built. Ever.

Points for trying, I guess?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 13th, 2013, 2:50 pm

I think it's awesome. I'd ride the shit out of that thing. Season pass, here I come.
Towns!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 13th, 2013, 2:56 pm

I think it's awesome. I'd ride the shit out of that thing. Season pass, here I come.
While it would probably be cool (in agreement on that point) I have a really hard time seeing the financial justifications for building this, especially given that they'll have to sell the public on it. Also not totally on board with the idea of it coming out of the Post Office, which is one of the most gorgeous buildings in the state.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 13th, 2013, 3:00 pm

I mean awesome as in "that's dope, yo" not awesome as in "totally reasonable and feasible idea that should actually happen."
Towns!

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 13th, 2013, 3:20 pm

While it would probably be cool (in agreement on that point) I have a really hard time seeing the financial justifications for building this, especially given that they'll have to sell the public on it. Also not totally on board with the idea of it coming out of the Post Office, which is one of the most gorgeous buildings in the state.
Seeing as how the employees would no longer be able to park on site, maybe they will be able to use the ramp at Riverplace and ride across to work.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2013, 3:42 pm

From the post office to the top of the Pillsbury A-Mills!!! :D I had not seen that, crazy, and weird...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 19th, 2014, 7:23 am

So I've been in Europe the last few weeks and was surprised to see that there is a pocket park on Hennepin between the old nat cam and the Irish pub there... Is there a place that you all are talking about that or did we somehow miss it? It looks awesome.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 19th, 2014, 7:27 am

It's a bunch of pallets, they've been there since May. That's a park?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » June 19th, 2014, 7:35 am

It's a bunch of pallets, they've been there since May. That's a park?
Have you been by in the last couple of days? It's actually developing to be something pretty cool with all those pallers. Painted sidewalk and walls makes it feel inviting, benches, tables, walls, planters... all made out of pallets. I love it and kind of wish that was my bus stop.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Hennepin Avenue (Downtown)

Postby Nick » June 21st, 2014, 5:28 pm

Tens of thousands of people walking around downtown this afternoon, zero of them in the popup park unfortunately.

Nick Magrino
[email protected]