We're talking about Ultrawhite beams
We're talking about Ultrawhite beams
This is a DOT dream
This is a DOT dream

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Road Geek Topics

Postby Anondson » February 28th, 2016, 10:38 pm

A new way to build tunnels, faster. The zipper truck.

https://www.facebook.com/techinsider/vi ... 512944410/

Not sure this is a way that would be used for building road tunnels, more like cut and cover rail tunnels, but still.

mulad

Postby mulad » March 5th, 2016, 11:00 am

Neat trick, though there would need to be substantial extra work to seal things up and make the tunnel sufficiently water-tight. I've seen oversized culverts used for tunnels in some locations, such as around mines or in very rural areas. Seems like this might have similar applications, especially where tunnels only need to be in place for a short time.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 23rd, 2016, 8:35 am

Not sure the best place to ask this question: Are there any jurisdictions on the planet that don't give lifetime drivers licenses? That is, other than when infractions happen (or health/medical reasons), are there any places in the world that make all drivers retest to keep their driver's license after so many years?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » March 23rd, 2016, 8:55 am

Illinois and New Hampshire you have to retake a road test when you are 75. And then again at 80,82,84, etc.

Anondson
IDS Center

Road Geek Topics

Postby Anondson » August 7th, 2016, 7:34 am

The FHA is wanting submissions for which highways should get "green" infrastructure. The FHA "have called upon states and local officials to nominate routes where drivers can source alternative fuels in “zero-emission ” and “alternative fuel” corridors."

http://trendintech.com/2016/08/07/feder ... -highways/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 7th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Question about the Dresbach Bridge project on I-90 near La Crosse.

Before construction, road users at the Lock & Dam / boat launches / travel information center / etc were able to proceed south along the Hwy 61 alignment then take a left turn across traffic onto the ramp to eastbound I-90 towards Wisconsin.

A rendering by SRF shows a ramp staying on the river side of the train tracks to accomplish that same movement, from the TIC under new I-90 viaduct, then onto eastbound I-90. http://www.srfconsulting.com/wp-content ... 01_1-1.jpg

Yet the actual plans and work so far do not show this ramp. http://www.dot.state.mn.us/dresbachbrid ... out-mn.pdf

Was this cut as a cost-cutting measure? Even though it didn't necessitate any new bridges to build? Will people be directed westbound on I-90, then turn around at the Dresbach interchange?

Answer: yes
"Layout No. 4, March 31, 2011
-Ramp AOIE90 was removed from the layout, based on findings from MnDOT’s Value Engineering Study. Walls E and Y were also eliminated."
ftp://ftp2.dot.state.mn.us/pub/outbound ... Layout.pdf

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 11th, 2017, 12:23 pm

MN-110 should just be signed as a continuance of MN-62. Really stupid to have a separate designation for such a short road. MN-55 would be signed concurrently with 62 for that <2mi stretch between the splits.

I realized this after giving my brother directions to 494 eastbound from South Mpls. Take SB 35W to EB 62 to EB 55 to EB 110 (no turns or exits...basically a single long "route")
I've been thinking that for years.
I'd even go further - extend US 212 over MN 62 and MN 110 all the way to 494. The stump of MN 62 would be an unmarked state highway - signed as County 62
I like the US 212 idea too. It definitely makes sense as a single route, from 212/62 all the way to 110/494.

But for now I'm probably just going to ask MNDOT what the point of a 2 mile long MN-110 is. They could probably find the money to replace signs over 2 miles. Changing 62 (really, getting rid of it) would be a much bigger ask, even though it completely makes sense considering there is another totally separate MN-62 outstate (Crosstown having been Hennepin County 62 previously). It would be sorta sad to see the MN-62/62nd Street legacy go away though.
So it only took me a year and a half since this post, but I finally emailed the head of MNDOT's metro district (Pat Bursaw) with this idea. I presented both Option A (eliminate 110, extend MN-62 designation) and Option B (eliminate both 62 and 110, extend US-212 designation).

She actually wrote back to me, and copied her planning staff on the response:
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the naming of MN Highways 110, 55, and 62. Mn DOT staff met
earlier this week to consider the option included in your note and they are taking it into consideration.
There are several upcoming signing projects and construction projects in the areas you mentioned that may
present an opportunity to make changes. Please note that any changes will need to be reviewed and approved by
a MnDOT committee responsible for route control and signing.
We plan to keep you informed of any changes when they are made.
Now obviously, this would be a costly endeavor, not to mention politically challenging if they go with Option B (dealing with a dozen municipalities, killing the long legacy of "62", etc.) I'm not naive, so I'm not actually expecting anything to happen too soon or ever, but their response is encouraging. Nowhere did they give reasons why it can't or shouldn't happen, which actually surprised me.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 11th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Also related is the long-planned elimination of the "Hwy 55 cutoff" from US 52/Koch to CR 42, and the long-planned upgrade of CR 42 to a state route across Dakota and Scott Counties. At that point, why not move the state route replacement all the way to Hastings, and truncate TH 55 back at TH 52 near Concord Blvd?

Also related is the ridiculousness of Hiawatha Ave being a state route from I-94 to TH 62. I think that would be a great turnback candidate (of course, I also think it would be a great multiway boulevard...) in which case TH 55 could be truncated where Olson Hwy meets I-94. Then the TH 55 superstroad from the Mendota Bridge to TH 52 near Concord becomes orphaned.

Edit: Looks like the TH 52 / CR 42 interchange is scheduled to be rebuilt this year. https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/Transportat ... Layout.pdf I'm guessing the 2016 construction dates are a typo, given the timeline. It also looks like this will be rebuilt as a diamond rather than the planned cloverleaf interchange. Which makes me wonder if the TH 55 cutoff will live on until this is upgraded to a system interchange down the road.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 11th, 2017, 4:24 pm

TH 100 was once also US 169. As all know 169 was rerouted to old County Road 18.

We can do this!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 11th, 2017, 4:58 pm

TH 52 and TH 3 also switched designations north of 494 back in the 90s. Lafayette Freeway used to be TH 3, up until it was extended south to the Hwy 55/52 alignment in Inver Grove Heights.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » January 12th, 2017, 10:25 am

Also related is the long-planned elimination of the "Hwy 55 cutoff" from US 52/Koch to CR 42, and the long-planned upgrade of CR 42 to a state route across Dakota and Scott Counties.
Pure roadgeek fantasy here, but I've always wondered whether it would be feasible to extend CR 42 from its current western terminus at Marschall Road (Scott County 17) to hook up with MN 41, creating the southwest third of an outer beltway. Granted, it would probably have to stay surface for much of its length, due to the commerce and closely spaced residential accesses it serves. And, cost aside, possible ROW is extremely limited; you'd basically have to cut existing 42 northwestward around the Dominion Hills neighborhood of Shakopee to hook it up with Scott County 78 (which eventually runs down the bluff and becomes 41). But the "all-powerful SimCity mayor" part of my brain can't leave the idea alone...

sean
Block E

Postby sean » June 24th, 2017, 8:05 am

A busy-ish four lane + turn lane road in La Crosse, WI has its speed limit reduced from 30 MPH to 25 MPH. Much drama in the FB comments ensues.

The city council voted on the change based on neighborhood input. Background article from the local paper:
According to a 2008 city traffic study, the median speed on Losey was just over 33 mph, and the vast majority of traffic was traveling between about 28 and 38 mph.
Average daily traffic volumes range from about 13,000 at the far southern end to around 27,000 north of State Road, making it one of the city’s busiest corridors, according to 2014 Department of Transportation estimates.
From the council member that sponsored the change:
Padesky notes most of those folks who want to save a minute or two on their commute probably live on a 25 mph street.

“Why should La Crosse always be different?” he said. “People who live in La Crosse want to live on safe streets, too.”

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 27th, 2017, 9:40 am

Also related is the long-planned elimination of the "Hwy 55 cutoff" from US 52/Koch to CR 42, and the long-planned upgrade of CR 42 to a state route across Dakota and Scott Counties. At that point, why not move the state route replacement all the way to Hastings, and truncate TH 55 back at TH 52 near Concord Blvd?
I don't really care about the number, but we should definitively designate and SIGN, along the whole route, Olson Memorial Highway. back when the Republicans wanted to rename it for Reagan, it was a nice opportunity to educate people about Floyd Olson and what he did. We ought to keep his legacy alive, especially in these times.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2017, 10:06 am

I thought Olson Hwy is only the designation from Downtown (I-94 these days) through the west metro. Do you propose adding the designation for the Hiawatha Ave, Courthouse Blvd, etc segments south and east of Minneapolis?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 27th, 2017, 10:08 am

I believe all of 55 is designated Olson Memorial but the only part signed is the segment you describe.

EDIT: Yep: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=161.14

"Route No. 55, when permanently established, shall thereafter be known as the 'Floyd B. Olson Memorial Highway' in addition to its statutory number."

jebr
Nicollet Mall

Postby jebr » June 27th, 2017, 12:18 pm

It's signed throughout much of western Minnesota as Floyd B. Olson Memorial Highway as well. Google Street View doesn't have any great pictures of it, but when I drive through there I see it signed occasionally as that as well.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby bubzki2 » October 23rd, 2017, 12:28 pm

Not sure if posted yet anywhere:

Hwy. 110 in Mendota Heights will be renamed to Hwy. 62 next summer

http://www.startribune.com/hwy-110-in-m ... 452538123/

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 2nd, 2017, 9:12 am

Interesting article about some Canadians fixing an intersection with chalk and leaves.

https://jalopnik.com/some-brilliant-tor ... 1820931621