Mall of America Transit Station

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Re: Mall of America Transit Station: Master Plan

Postby LRV Op Dude » January 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Mall of America Transit Center relocation for Routes 5, 54, 415, 444, 515, 538, 539, 540, 542, METRO Red Line.

https://www.metrotransit.org/mall-of-am ... o-red-line
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 5:46 pm

What do the current plans look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » January 12th, 2018, 8:55 pm

can't be any worse than it currently is down there. That Red Line platform leaves much to be desired.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

@thatchio - you are right about that. The whole transit station is disgusting. It will be nice to see what they do.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 12th, 2018, 9:42 pm

The new station will feature a separate bus entrance, more bus gates, no more bus/train interference, and a direct path to the interior of the mall. It should be really nice, and make the bus connections a lot more convenient.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 12th, 2018, 10:43 pm

The new station will feature a separate bus entrance, more bus gates, no more bus/train interference, and a direct path to the interior of the mall. It should be really nice, and make the bus connections a lot more convenient.
What do you mean by direct path to the mall? Can you explain a little more?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 12th, 2018, 10:57 pm

There will be an access (stair/escalator/elevator) from the 1st floor east side (by the underwater adventures) to the new waiting area.

Check out this video:
https://youtu.be/v8pkTowqshc

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » January 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

What do you mean by direct path to the mall? Can you explain a little more?
I posted the plans on the previous page:

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 15th, 2018, 9:46 am

It's interesting how in the rendering of the new station everyone looks like they're going to a business meeting at MOA. It's almost as if designers use middle to upperclass persons in the renderings to make decision makers view their project more favorably. When in fact some of these projects will benefit primarily lower and middle class folks. What's wrong with spending millions on infrastructure to help lower class persons?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2018, 10:08 am

The people in renderings typically come from an online catalog -- sort of the equivalent of clip art. The selection in these catalogs tends to leave quite a bit to be desired, and tends to stray towards the corporate, but it's unlikely a deliberate decision by the people doing the renderings.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » January 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

It's interesting how in the rendering of the new station everyone looks like they're going to a business meeting at MOA. It's almost as if designers use middle to upperclass persons in the renderings to make decision makers view their project more favorably. When in fact some of these projects will benefit primarily lower and middle class folks. What's wrong with spending millions on infrastructure to help lower class persons?
Yes, I completely agree more renderings of homeless passed out drunk in the waiting chairs.

Although... if the renderings actually were accurate and showed mostly low income then wouldn't we be outraged at it implying only poor people ride the bus? um.... It's impossible NOT to be outraged, and that is beyond outrageous! UGH!

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Yes, I completely agree more renderings of homeless passed out drunk in the waiting chairs.

Although... if the renderings actually were accurate and showed mostly low income then wouldn't we be outraged at it implying only poor people ride the bus? um.... It's impossible NOT to be outraged, and that is beyond outrageous! UGH!
How about a guy with an overstuffed and very Minnesotan jacket on a bench reading the newspaper and a teenager leaning over using their phone?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » January 16th, 2018, 11:06 am

Thanks to whoever posted the video. I it gives me a much better idea of how it looks now versus how it will look.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » February 14th, 2018, 6:50 am

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am

Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 14th, 2018, 11:58 am

Another re-bid? This seems to be a pattern developing, but I don't feel informed enough to speculate on what the significance is.
The lowest bid was a couple million over the budget.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » February 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm

The lowest bid was a couple million over the budget.
Sure, same with SWLRT (though there was the subcontractors issue there as well). My question is, this is two large-ish projects in a row that have had this issue; why? Are the budgets being set consistently lower than is feasible? Is the new Met Council director more of a hawk on complying with budgets? Is there a history of bidders intentionally highballing and still getting accepted? Or is this just a coincidence and not actually a meaningful pattern because there are lots of other bids that have gone smoothly and therefore have gone unnoticed?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm

I think a lot of construction bids are coming in higher than expected, and not just MTC ones. The general building boom is ongoing (arguably accelerating?) and the strong economy/low unemployment rate is probably putting upward pressure on construction wages.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 14th, 2018, 7:13 pm

The before-it-even-hit-the-CPC cancellation of that 40-story project at 33 S 5th St was also blamed on construction bids coming in way higher than expected.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 14th, 2018, 9:41 pm

There's an active labor shortage in the construction trades and the economy is good, so construction inflation is high and affecting all projects like this. This is also the reason why 10 years ago during the recession would have been an ideal time for a large infrastructure bill, but not today. There's only so many workers to go around.