Street, Road and Highway Projects

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby mattaudio » April 20th, 2014, 12:53 pm

And you're complaining about four lanes on Hennepin... that shot above sort of puts things into perspective.
Although Hennepin has dense land use approaching the right of way. We cannot grow horizontally. So we must grow in intensification of ROW use. Dedicated bus/bike ROW is much more efficient than car lanes when we cannot have both.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 2nd, 2014, 12:29 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 2nd, 2014, 1:29 pm

I just read it.... At every point I went "duh!"

What a waste of an article. With the headline, I thought it would be a real 10 pt plan to improve transportation. Not just common sense reiterated.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » May 4th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Agreed. What a waste of bandwidth to put it online.
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2014, 8:24 am

Anyone know what's going on with the bridge piers being added near the pond at 394 and Ridgedale Drive? Are they realigning the frontage road or something? Seems like a lot of work for an area without any clear reason as to why.

Anondson
IDS Center

Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby Anondson » May 9th, 2014, 8:34 am

I thought I read on Minnetonka' city website that they are building an additional highway access to WB 394. I believe the rationale was that currently all Ridgedale traffic to go west must enter 394 at Plymouth precisely where 394 traffic is exiting to 494. It can be an epic congestion mess and with Ridgdale expanding and the entire district "densifying" allowing folks to enter 394 in an alternative location that isn't already a congested mess is thought as improving the complete traffic flow around Ridgedale and WB 394

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 9th, 2014, 9:08 am

That's it. http://www.eminnetonka.com/news_events/ ... hibits.pdf

Seems like a better solution would have been to braid the ramps between Ridgedale/Plymouth and the exit for 494 to eliminate weaves.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » May 10th, 2014, 5:46 am

Problem with braiding the ramps (besides a lot of extra cost) is that it would require new right of way from two car dealerships along the frontage road. Would also be a heck of a vertical profile change for drivers coming down the on-loop from Plymouth Blvd. Keep in mind that something similar was proposed on the westbound Crosstown between Portland and 35W North, but was dropped from the Crosstown Commons project due to additional right-of-way needs (3 houses IIRC) and an extra $16 million in cost.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 12th, 2014, 9:41 pm

I just read it.... At every point I went "duh!"
Deputizing average citizens is a "duh?" It sounds perfectly frightening to me.

Banning people from a puiblic resource because they merge improperly is a "duh?"

Some of the points make sense but he really goes off the deep end.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » May 14th, 2014, 11:37 am

I noticed a car counter on 29th outside of Blue yesterday. I searched the forum but didn't see anything listed. Anyone know if they're trying to find out traffic trends there to see if work needs to be done on the street? Just by looking at the street there you can see it needs a face lift BIG time.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Anondson
IDS Center

Normandale Blvd Reconstruction

Postby Anondson » May 22nd, 2014, 9:38 pm

Anticipated to begin construction in 2016, a reconstruction of Normandale Blvd (it is a county road) will be done for safety Improvements. Acquiring additional ROW to add a protected left turn lane (going from four lanes to five) and putting 10' wide pedestrian trails on both sides of the road.

The design process is starting now for this combined city/county project.

http://current.mnsun.com/2014/05/safety ... vard-plan/

http://bloomingtonmn.gov/cityhall/dept/ ... 01.htm#map

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Normandale Blvd Reconstruction

Postby Mdcastle » May 23rd, 2014, 7:45 am

I really hate 4 lane undivided roads, and this is another step towards getting rid of them. Bloomington is already doing 4 to 2 or 3 lane conversion on most of their collector streets. Portland, Nicollet, and possibly Old Shakopee east of Portland would also function fine with 3 lanes. When I rode my bike around the neighborhood as a kid I always hated Old Shakopee because the sidewalk was right next to a traffic lane with no grass buffer. West of Nicollet I'd like to see a continuous 5 lane sections with 10 foot trails (like is being proposed for Normandale) on the sections outside of the business districts.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » May 27th, 2014, 7:37 am

As far as Portland in Richfield, the preferred alternative is three 11 foot vehicle lanes, two 6 foot bicycle lanes, and a 6 foot sidewalk on one side and a 8 foot multi-use trail on the other. On street bicycle lanes and two sidewalks were rejected because a lot of casual bicyclists (myself included) will not use on-street lanes, cycletracks and sidewalks were rejected because of the extra ROW.
http://www.ci.richfield.mn.us/index.aspx?page=683

mulad

Postby mulad » May 27th, 2014, 1:09 pm

That feels like a really weird compromise. Looking at some of the presentation boards from older meetings, it seems that they include a 4' gutter pan area on each side of the roadway by default, in addition to the 3x 11' lanes (2 thru lanes plus center turn lane). That seems like a pretty wide gutter area to me -- and the 6' bike lanes include that 4' gutter area. Isn't a normal gutter closer to 1.5 or 2 feet?

The right-of-way appears to be 60 feet, judging by existing sidewalks, though a few more feet are used along the east side of the street/sidewalk for telephone poles. However, the narrowest distance I've found from building face to building face is about 130 feet -- about 10 feet wider than you find along University Avenue in St. Paul.

This project appears to be adding rows of street trees that didn't exist before, which is negatively impacting the amount of usable area for sidewalks and bike infrastructure. I'm curious how many trees currently exist within 6-10 feet of the street. And with that telephone/power line along the east side, I'm not sure that adding trees will be a great idea anyway -- they'll probably end up with big V-shaped cuts down the middle a couple decades down the line (or are they planning to relocate the power line?).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 27th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Ah, the world of CSAH legislated design standards. I believe those are "curb reaction zones." Interestingly enough, bicyclists and pedestrians are considered suitable objects for collision inside the curb reaction zones, but things like planters (and possibly parked cars?) are not.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 28th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Someone posted a signal complaint in my neighborhood on seeclickfix (it wasn't me; I'd be arguing for its removal) and here's the 311 response:
"The Minneapolis traffic signal system is programmed to move traffic as efficiently as possible regardless of destination"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 12th, 2014, 9:52 pm

So apparently Richfield/HennCo met with property owners along 66th St near 35W who are likely going to lose their homes for roadway expansion. The entire southern side of the street will be wiped out. Apparently they are claiming the proposed takings are due to more space for bike/ped facilities. But it's really because they are stubborn and insistent on expanding the stroad to five lanes.

Gah, Hennepin County Transportation Dept is the scourge of cities.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 13th, 2014, 10:54 am

Sam Newberg posted this video crossing Hiawatha with the ped improvements. What were they thinking with that median setup? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43DGQIWVWY

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 13th, 2014, 11:41 am

Paint it later with the elbow touching the median instead?