Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Re: Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction (Douglas to Lake St)

Postby seanrichardryan » December 16th, 2020, 4:22 pm

The left turns are not that bad on Hennepin, even if they happen mistakenly at rush hour (do we even have rush hour anymore?). Experience from having lived just off 24th & Hennepin for over a decade. For those needing access to the wedge during no turn times, Lyndale is a total shitshow, mostly because of backups from the Franklin Left turn lane, and recently all the construction on that corner.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » December 16th, 2020, 6:11 pm

The city has an adopted modal priority and it's really time that they apply it. Peds, bikes, and transit need to be accommodated first, and cars can have what's left.

Trademark
City Center

Postby Trademark » December 16th, 2020, 7:30 pm

The city has an adopted modal priority and it's really time that they apply it. Peds, bikes, and transit need to be accommodated first, and cars can have what's left.
I think it would be fine if they give cars some level of priority on hennepin. As long as bus lanes are implemented on Lyndale and Hennepin. And quality bike infrasture on Lyndale, franklin between Lyndale and lake of the isles, and humboldt avenue turned into a greenway or at least something where you can't drive on it for more than 2 blocks in a row. It parallels hennepin. And has a lot of cut through traffic during rush hour (I am guilty of it too). Then making Lake and Lagoon 2 lanes with a bus lanes and quality bike infrastructure.

If we are able to get the majority of those concessions I think it would be a net positive for both drivers. Keep majority of drivers on hennepin and off other streets and then prioritize multi modal transportation as a network everywhere else.

I think they should also look into closing some of the interchanges there. Maybe only have lights at Franklin, 24th, 26th, 28th. If the majority of those things can happen then option 4 would be the way to go.