Road Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
PhilmerPhil

Re: Road Crime

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 28th, 2015, 11:17 am

The oddity is the "girlfriend" changed her Facebook name to have his last name.
Or are they cousins?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 28th, 2015, 11:44 am

Brook looks like a real peach.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 5th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Apparently a cyclist was smoked by a red-light running SUV driver at Central and Lowry, and it's not looking good. I'm hoping the victim recovers and the perp motorist is found.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 9th, 2015, 10:17 am

Ex-council member Colvin Roy hospitalized with head injury
http://www.startribune.com/ex-council-m ... 325954581/

I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I've had two incidents on my bicycle commute over the past few weeks where Minneapolis school buses show willful disregard for the lives of walkers/bicyclists. And I have yet to have a satisfactory response after reporting to Minneapolis transportation officials. I'm now wondering if there's a systemic safety problem with the people charged with driving large buses through crowded urban streets in a professional setting. I'm curious to hear more about the situation that led to this latest tragic event.

While I was writing this post, a school bus marked "Minneapolis Schools" passed my house and failed to make anything even remotely close to a complete stop at the corner. Systemic. Problem.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » September 9th, 2015, 11:00 am

I completely agree. Anecdata: I see Minneapolis school buses driving unnecessarily fast down my narrow residential street near Bancroft Elementary all the time. Just this morning I saw a Minneapolis bus swerve away from a bike at the last second, I would guess either because the driver didn't see the bike or just to be dramatic.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 10th, 2015, 7:21 am

In a strange convergence of topics: Nicole Curtis was a victim of an attempted car jacking.

Not in Minneapolis.

http://www.startribune.com/c-j-rehab-at ... 326259721/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 10th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Updated: It was in Detroit, and police say it wasn't a carjacking. (purse snatching?)

Anondson
IDS Center

Road Crime

Postby Anondson » September 14th, 2015, 4:02 pm

As always, taking away driver's licenses IS NOT an effective deterrent for the worst drivers.

http://m.startribune.com/local/west/327474181.html

"While McCready has a history of driving after losing his license privileges, he did have a valid driver’s license at the time of this incident, according to the state Department of Public Safety."

Not only do people still drive after losing license, people get it back far too easily. This was the man's 13th DUI...

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 19th, 2015, 7:01 pm

We have repeat DWI offenders by the bunches.

http://www.startribune.com/more-than-10 ... 328378821/

I sympathize, you have an addiction and live in a place designed well only for cars. Of course they repeat DWI. I wish they could find treatment that worked, and I hate them for putting the rest of us at risk.

In the meantime our city is designed to fail them, and then again to fail us when they get back behind the wheel again and kill innocents.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 19th, 2015, 11:28 pm

As far as I'm concerned at DUI #3 that should be it for driving privileges. Period.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 21st, 2015, 9:48 am

I've long thought the same thing.

For metro-area residents, the answer to the question "What do they do for the rest of their lives?" is pretty simple: they move to a place on a bus line or somewhere they can walk or bike to work. For someone who lives in a rural area far away from jobs, the answer to that question is less clear. We can't have these people out driving around unrestricted as they have proven they cannot be trusted...but what do they do about work the rest of their lives? Are they put on welfare because they can't get to a job? Forced relocation to a residence on a bus line? Neither seems likely.

As much as I want to take their licenses away "Period", I think that you kinda have to carve out some kind of exception for driving to work. A very small, specific exemption, where work hours and location are noted and presented to law enforcement if they get pulled over. And probably some kind of proof that driving to work alone is their only option.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 21st, 2015, 10:10 am

And we need to remember that loss of driving privileges does not equate to a cessation of driving on public streets. People drive without license all the time.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 21st, 2015, 10:13 am

Isn't the "value" of a life something like $3 million? If that's the case wouldn't it be cheaper to trap an offender in their home and put them on welfare? I guess it's not 100% guaranteed that every person with multiple DWIs will kill other people. But I don't know, some interesting actuarial work to be done there. And then yeah how do you guarantee they'll never drive again?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 21st, 2015, 10:17 am

As much as I want to take their licenses away "Period", I think that you kinda have to carve out some kind of exception for driving to work. A very small, specific exemption, where work hours and location are noted and presented to law enforcement if they get pulled over. And probably some kind of proof that driving to work alone is their only option.
Seems like the way to go, and there's even already a regulatory framework for it. The Minnesota Farm Work License allows 15-year-olds to drive, but only to perform work for a parent/guardian, only during daylight hours, only within 20 miles of the farmhouse, and not in cities with populations >100k. With a couple modifications to get rid of ag-specific language, and better enforcement, I think that would work just fine.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 21st, 2015, 10:42 am

There's also the breathalyzer ignition interlock systems, right?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 21st, 2015, 10:48 am

I feel like the odds of someone willing to drive without a license also being willing to do all sorts of shenanigans like trading cars with someone or not registering a car they've purchased to escape requiring an interlock system be put into their car.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 21st, 2015, 10:49 am

Mn/DOTs recommended value for the economic cost of a fatal crash is $10,600,000.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/planning/pro ... dix_a.html

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 21st, 2015, 11:04 am

^I was actually surprised how cheap they are to install (per the article, $70 to $150 to install and about $60 to 80 per month for “monitoring and calibration.”). I posed a somewhat serious tw question: why not just make these standard on all human-driven cars? I have to believe costs would be much lower from an install perspective if done at the factory, and calibration could be reduced to yearly or something.

Other than FREEDOM! is there really a reason the costs wouldn't outweigh the benefits? In 2012 there were about 244m passenger cars & light duty trucks/SUVs in the fleet, and 2014 saw ~8 million new cars sold in the US. Up front costs to retrofit all cars using the low range ($70) = $17.1bn plus ongoing yearly costs of new vehicles + calibration 1x a year totaling $15.1bn ongoing. The 10,322 deaths in crashes where a driver was 0.08 or above in 2012 cost society a NPV of $109bn using MnDOT's $10.6m per life. This ignores injury costs. The question is how many deaths/injuries would be prevented vs business as usual (which has trended slowly down over the past many decades), and is the total cost worth it? I bet it'd be close.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 21st, 2015, 1:09 pm

An update on former CM Sandy Colvin Roy. Wow, I'm really hoping she overcomes this soon and has a speedy recovery. http://www.startribune.com/family-says- ... 328534211/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 22nd, 2015, 6:48 pm

So. Is the VW emissions fraud worthy of this thread?

It's worse. The group that found the VW shenanigans say the Diesel engines fraud is industry wide.

http://www.transportenvironment.org/pub ... ip-iceberg