Ayd Mill Road

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Ayd Mill Road

Postby EOst » April 30th, 2020, 11:22 am

I think it likely will be the start and spine of a network. I also think it will take some years before there is sufficient momentum and interest. Recall that the heart of the Midtown Greenway opened in 2004, and 16 years later Minneapolis is only beginning to build a protected network that intersects it.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » May 1st, 2020, 7:00 pm

Not to say that it wouldn't be useful, but doing something on Selby has much more significant impacts than on the others:

A 12' cycle track, a 3' curb buffer, an 11' travel lane, and an 18' travel/parking lane seems more than adequate and consistent with city width guidelines (and even leaves a couple feet of fudge width for chokepoints, curb widenings, etc.). It would remove parking from one side, but abundant free parking is available on cross and parallel streets.

Do we also want to make sure there's adequate space for this?

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » May 2nd, 2020, 8:02 am

Not to say that it wouldn't be useful, but doing something on Selby has much more significant impacts than on the others:

A 12' cycle track, a 3' curb buffer, an 11' travel lane, and an 18' travel/parking lane seems more than adequate and consistent with city width guidelines (and even leaves a couple feet of fudge width for chokepoints, curb widenings, etc.). It would remove parking from one side, but abundant free parking is available on cross and parallel streets.

Do we also want to make sure there's adequate space for this?

Ah, fair, I had forgotten the B Line is supposed to run down Selby. Though I don't think there are any stops planned between Snelling and Ayd Mill, so the width probably wouldn't be an issue. Congestion/slower travel times might be, though.

It's probably like EOst said above (paraphrasing): these challenges may be solvable and worth solving, but in the context of Saint Paul politics and traffic engineering, they'd probably be enough to sink the whole idea out of the gate.

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » May 5th, 2020, 11:47 am

On the other hand, will the B Line buildout be concomitant with a repaving/rejuvenation of Selby? Then that’s the perfect time to put in bike infrastructure, too.

Too often, cities & regional planning organizations plan only one mode at a time: Selby needs both transit & bikeways—and de-prioritization of car infrastructure (lanes, lane width, parking, etc.).