IDS Center

Re: Lowry Avenue Bridge

Postby seanrichardryan » October 26th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » October 28th, 2012, 12:04 am

A photo by one of my flickr contacts of the bridge lit up, click for a larger size. Looks great.

Lowry Ave Bridge by lukibob17, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 28th, 2012, 8:34 am

I walked the bridge yesterday -- it really turned out well. I'm somewhat skeptical that it will see very much pedestrian/bike traffic, because while it's really connected well on the Northeast side, it's a real hike before you get to anything on the North side.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » October 28th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Some NEers may prefer to take the Lowry bridge to 2nd St to get to Downtown or points beyond. The 2nd St lane is faster than the bike blvds but not as heinous conditions as the arterials in NE (although 2nd St NE is also a good option, albeit lacking in bike-specific facilities).
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 28th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Some NEers may prefer to take the Lowry bridge to 2nd St to get to Downtown or points beyond. The 2nd St lane is faster than the bike blvds but not as heinous conditions as the arterials in NE (although 2nd St NE is also a good option, albeit lacking in bike-specific facilities).
That's true -- 2nd St works for bikes. I still doubt that it will see much in the way of pedestrian traffic, though.

mulad

Postby mulad » October 28th, 2012, 5:32 pm

It's about the same length as the Stone Arch Bridge.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 28th, 2012, 5:50 pm

But when you cross the Stone Arch bridge, you're at the Mill District. When you cross the Lowry Bridge, you're on a several block long viaduct overlooking some pretty sad industrial land, and then you still need to cross over the interstate before you actually get "anywhere". And by anywhere, I mean a senior housing tower and a bunch of single family houses. It's not a destination rich environment.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » October 28th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Not a destination rich area yet. This bridge will be around for a long time and it will help anchor the north end of Mississippi river redevelopment that the city's been pushing for. Give it time.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 29th, 2012, 12:22 am

I took my daughter to the opening on Sat and it is a looooong walk to nothing on the west side. I know the city wants to redevelop the riverfront, but I'm still skeptical that those changes will happen or that a bridge will spur development.
It's a nice bridge, but I didn't see it as more than that. I hope they prove me wrong.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » October 29th, 2012, 7:24 am

I'm somewhat skeptical that it will see very much pedestrian/bike traffic, because while it's really connected well on the Northeast side, it's a real hike before you get to anything on the North side.
I don't understand the point that is being argued here. Are you saying they should have scrapped the sidewalks and bike lanes and have built the bridge to only allow for motorized traffic?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 29th, 2012, 9:27 am

I took my daughter to the opening on Sat and it is a looooong walk to nothing on the west side. I know the city wants to redevelop the riverfront, but I'm still skeptical that those changes will happen or that a bridge will spur development.
It's a nice bridge, but I didn't see it as more than that. I hope they prove me wrong.
20 years ago I thought the same thing of the North loop and the old Milwaukee Road railroad yard. Even I could not comprehend what the area could become. Now I'm in aw of the reuse of old buildings and the excellent use of filling in the old railroad yards that were once brownfields. IT may take10 to 20 years before things really happen. Look at the Mainstreet area along the river. How many starts and stops has that area seen. PArt of it will have to depend on the economy and people deciding that living in the city is better than sitting in traffic every day.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 29th, 2012, 9:50 am

I'm somewhat skeptical that it will see very much pedestrian/bike traffic, because while it's really connected well on the Northeast side, it's a real hike before you get to anything on the North side.
I don't understand the point that is being argued here. Are you saying they should have scrapped the sidewalks and bike lanes and have built the bridge to only allow for motorized traffic?
No particular point being argued, just an observation. As I said, I think the bridge turned out really well, and from the Northeast side, it's great to walk out there and see the river and the bridge. I just don't think they'll get used very much, but I certainly wouldn't suggest omitting them.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » December 11th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Having to cross over another bridge over the highway after walking across the river does seem off-putting for pedestrians, but biking it would be nothing. Again, the issue is that the closest destinations are several blocks west: it's about 20 blocks to reach The Lowry Cafe and 5 more to reach Tootie's. With the bike lanes on Lowry west of the river it's much more accessible to cyclists.

As for the lack of destinations in the industrial area right across the river there's an example just south showing that as long as zoning isn't an issue there could be similar uses in any vacant spots that could be used for bars. On either side of Broadway it's not to far to reach a cluster of nightspots and on the east end of Lowry you have a few that are quite walkable down to 18th. And then there's this weird stretch with medians and landscaped grass lots where several buildings should be standing: guessing there were commercial buildings torn down for "progress".

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 10:50 am

Having to cross over another bridge over the highway after walking across the river does seem off-putting for pedestrians, but biking it would be nothing. Again, the issue is that the closest destinations are several blocks west: it's about 20 blocks to reach The Lowry Cafe and 5 more to reach Tootie's. With the bike lanes on Lowry west of the river it's much more accessible to cyclists.

As for the lack of destinations in the industrial area right across the river there's an example just south showing that as long as zoning isn't an issue there could be similar uses in any vacant spots that could be used for bars. On either side of Broadway it's not to far to reach a cluster of nightspots and on the east end of Lowry you have a few that are quite walkable down to 18th. And then there's this weird stretch with medians and landscaped grass lots where several buildings should be standing: guessing there were commercial buildings torn down for "progress".
Ugh that is weird... and seems to all be owned by the cty or city... they definitely screwed that up :/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 12th, 2012, 11:46 am

And then there's this weird stretch with medians and landscaped grass lots where several buildings should be standing: guessing there were commercial buildings torn down for "progress".
Hennepin County gashed this scar into the Northside just a few years ago. Arguably the worst thing about it is that they closed off the pedestrian crossings at 6th, Aldrich and Bryant - there are no north-south curb cuts there and they put landscaping in the median rather than concrete to make it uncomfortable or impossible to cross. If you ask Jim Grube, he'd probably tell you it's a complete street.
"Who rescued whom!"

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 12th, 2012, 3:50 pm

It is a bizarre gash, especially since most of the rest of the Lowry reconstruction was voted down.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 21st, 2012, 12:20 pm

Random F&C piece about the lighting technology:
http://finance-commerce.com/2012/12/lig ... ue-bridge/

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 14th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Already making it's way into Minneapolis Pop Culture!

(read as reasons to spend a little extra on infrastructure to be proud of)

Spied it on this mural at 612 Brew!!!

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » February 15th, 2013, 2:56 am

I love the mural. There's one made by the same artist on the side of the butcher and the boar.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 15th, 2013, 9:57 am

I love the mural. There's one made by the same artist on the side of the butcher and the boar.
Totally looks that way!