Arterial Bus Rapid Transit Corridors

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Arterial Bus Rapid Transit Corridors

Postby Tcmetro » July 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm

Is it going to be one of those massive and over-engineered intersections like what they did at Penn and Lyndale across 494?
Do we have another thread somewhere for the 494 project? Anyway, they've got videos up on MNdot's project website that show the current designs for all of the Phase 1 work in some detail. The layout for Portland is shown as being a Tight Diamond, not a Single Point like Lyndale and Penn. Lots of other interesting details in the videos.

Also, this project appears to have received a $60m federal grant yesterday.
I've posted about 494 (and pretty much all other road projects) in the roads thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1268

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 1st, 2021, 1:59 pm

OK, if mods want to move some of this discussion over there, that's cool. Although there might be enough details as this evolves to justify its own thread.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » July 1st, 2021, 8:42 pm

How long will the bus only lanes be on Lake Street

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » July 1st, 2021, 11:16 pm

Hopefully at least from the green line to blue line stations. This stretch is so bad I've gotten out and walked faster than the bus traveled. If they can get this section up to a reasonable speed I'd be happy with the B line just being that stretch with the rest being left as the 21.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » July 1st, 2021, 11:28 pm

Plagiarizing a tweet of mine: Right now, MSP's METRO system isn't a cohesive network. Mostly you use one line and that's it. But in the next three years, that will change dramatically. METRO will go from 4 direct transfers (leaving aside some of the de-facto, but not direct transfers possible in downtown Minneapolis) to 14, and the B Line will account for 6 of them. These expansions will not just add miles to the METRO network, but they will significantly reshape the way that people can use the network by making in-network transfers far more available and useful.

Add the now-funded (or mostly funded) E, F, and Gold Lines, and you get to 23 possible transfers between METRO services alone (again, with a lot of partial transfers in downtown Minneapolis).
I've always hated the lack of east/west service in south Minneapolis. Choose between infrequent service or the slow and crowded 21. If they can make route 515 every 15 minutes why not the 23? Or extend the A line to the future E line?

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 2nd, 2021, 8:16 am

Here's the "Balanced Bus Priority" concept which they are pushing forward. It will be complicated, they are trying to not just speed up the bus but also add bicycle facilities and slow general traffic.

From the latest report (page 116):
• Full bus-only lanes between Dean Parkway and Dupont Avenue
• A 4-to-3-lane conversion with new left-turn lanes and a single-direction bus-only lane in two segments of Lake Street: from
Dupont Avenue to Blaisdell Avenue and from 5th Avenue to 21st Avenue
• A 4-to-3 lane conversion with new left-turn lanes and bicycle lanes between 28th Avenue and the Mississippi River
• Transit signal priority, queue jump signals, and other intersection treatments for bus priority in Minneapolis
• Bus-specific intersection treatments at five locations in St. Paul (unchanged from the Extensive Bus Priority concept)
In map form:

I do think we will need to see the detailed sketches before saying anything for sure, but I think there are smart people with the right goals who are working on negotiating this space and that the end result will be pretty positive for the B-Line's speeds.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » July 2nd, 2021, 9:49 am

Here's the "Balanced Bus Priority" concept which they are pushing forward. It will be complicated, they are trying to not just speed up the bus but also add bicycle facilities and slow general traffic.

• A 4-to-3-lane conversion with new left-turn lanes and a single-direction bus-only lane in two segments of Lake Street: from
• A 4-to-3 lane conversion with new left-turn lanes and bicycle lanes between 28th Avenue and the Mississippi River
• Transit signal priority, queue jump signals, and other intersection treatments for bus priority in Minneapolis
• Bus-specific intersection treatments at five locations in St. Paul (unchanged from the Extensive Bus Priority concept)
In map form:

I do think we will need to see the detailed sketches before saying anything for sure, but I think there are smart people with the right goals who are working on negotiating this space and that the end result will be pretty positive for the B-Line's speeds.
Maybe there will be something quite surprising in the sketches but as it stands this looks pretty mediocre. It's not clear to me what a single bus lane accomplishes other than making one direction much faster than the other. (I've seen some configurations where one outer lane is bus-only in the morning and the other in the evening, to accommodate peak, but I don't understand how that would apply to Lake, which is perpendicular to the main commute.) The true bus lanes only exist on the overwide highway portion, where they're easiest to implement but matter the least, and vanish around the 35W and Hiawatha chokepoints.

There's a lot I like about aBRT as an upgrade for local buses, but given that Midtown LRT feels increasingly unlikely to happen, I don't think mixed-traffic (or mixed-traffic-plus) is adequate for the corridor.

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » July 2nd, 2021, 10:22 am

Maybe there will be something quite surprising in the sketches but as it stands this looks pretty mediocre. It's not clear to me what a single bus lane accomplishes other than making one direction much faster than the other. (I've seen some configurations where one outer lane is bus-only in the morning and the other in the evening, to accommodate peak, but I don't understand how that would apply to Lake, which is perpendicular to the main commute.) The true bus lanes only exist on the overwide highway portion, where they're easiest to implement but matter the least, and vanish around the 35W and Hiawatha chokepoints.

There's a lot I like about aBRT as an upgrade for local buses, but given that Midtown LRT feels increasingly unlikely to happen, I don't think mixed-traffic (or mixed-traffic-plus) is adequate for the corridor.
I agree with this. I am really curious what estimated performance looks like between Lyndale & Minnehaha (or at minimum between 35W & Hiawatha) for the "balanced bus priority" concept (two separate stretches of one-direction bus lanes) with the under consideration queue jumps at Lyndale, Bloomington, and Cedar vs. full bus lanes.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 2nd, 2021, 1:54 pm

Yes. that's my sense too. The "dedicated" lanes are too short and mostly in the sections where it's easiest, and hence least valuable. The station upgrades will be nice, and the offboard payment and multi-door boarding will help, but I don't think the bus lanes will be nearly enough to fundamentally alter the characteristics of this line.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » July 2nd, 2021, 3:21 pm

We should not be prioritizing bikes versus buses in the segments where the single bus lanes are being implemented. We have the greenway right there and bike lanes should also be added onto 31st street. This is one of the most crucial routes that desperately needed dedicated bus lanes in the whole stretch.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » July 2nd, 2021, 4:56 pm

In map form:

So the Dupont-Blaisdell and 5th-21st segments would have a bus lane in either the westbound or eastbound direction but not both?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » July 2nd, 2021, 4:59 pm

I think the point is to still advocate for full bus lanes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » July 3rd, 2021, 2:59 pm

A single center bus lane with stoplight and intersection priority to transition to the curb side would be a very good usage of space, (allowing both direction ROW busses to take turns) yet I doubt that would work long term..

I don’t think we should build bike lanes on Lake St. seems redundant since the greenway has better ROW and is much safer.. I do think we need better and more connections to allow people to lock up their bike in the trench climb stairs, elevator, or ramp up and go from there on foot.

Focusing on trying to do to much for everyone is just going to end up doing nothing but cause worse congestion and traffic.. I’m worried..

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » July 8th, 2021, 8:41 am

We should not be prioritizing bikes versus buses in the segments where the single bus lanes are being implemented. We have the greenway right there and bike lanes should also be added onto 31st street. This is one of the most crucial routes that desperately needed dedicated bus lanes in the whole stretch.
To be clear, the report is only considering bike lanes on Lake Street from 28th Avenue and the Mississippi River (where the Greenway is furthest from Lake Street), as well as between E Bde Maka Ska & Hennepin, citing the Minneapolis Transportation Action Plan for those two stretches. I agree on the bus lanes and don't think the B Line can live up to its full potential without full bus lanes between Hennepin & Hiawatha at a bare minimum (which would still be a compromise compared to the "extensive bus priority" concept of full bus lanes all the way to the river).

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » July 8th, 2021, 10:25 am

To be clear, the report is only considering bike lanes on Lake Street from 28th Avenue and the Mississippi River (where the Greenway is furthest from Lake Street), as well as between E Bde Maka Ska & Hennepin, citing the Minneapolis Transportation Action Plan for those two stretches. I agree on the bus lanes and don't think the B Line can live up to its full potential without full bus lanes between Hennepin & Hiawatha at a bare minimum (which would still be a compromise compared to the "extensive bus priority" concept of full bus lanes all the way to the river).
Thanks for the clarification. I think that those are fair places to have bike lanes as there is the necessary space for it. As for uptown I think a two way bike path is probably justified too the lake and I would maybe even extend the bike lanes to Girard and have bike traffic turn south from there onto a new trail to 31st street.