35W Freeway Lid and Air Rights Development

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: 35W Freeway Lid and Air Rights Development

Postby Wedgeguy » February 8th, 2015, 6:53 pm

There is one, but it is kind of hid in the grid and it starts at 4th street. Washington will no longer have a dedicated south bound exit, but will share the one that will be at 4th and what ever new street that will be east of Bobby and Steve's. There will be lots more traffic lights to deal with when they get rid of the ramps and go for the grid!

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » February 9th, 2015, 10:45 am

That gives me greater hope that this or something like it will become a reality by 2020.
Honest question, why wouldn't they do this, like now? Seems like a home run to me. Aren't the construction and future maintenance costs more than covered by the additional tax revenue? Are they skeptical whether there's enough demand?

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » February 9th, 2015, 1:26 pm

^I'm with you, and it would seem to be a good time to investigate doing this now given the livability/air quality/etc improvements to the area. But I think this may have something to do with it. Lots of land yet to be developed downtown, specifically near the stadium/proposed lid.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 9th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Always be skeptical of the cost estimates people attach to a project that they're emotionally invested in. Everything is a best case scenario, lots of things aren't included in the estimates, etc. They're not doing it to deliberately deceive, but they're looking at the thing with blinders on.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 9th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I thought they were discussing it. Didn't they have meeting or something?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Interstate 35W

Postby Anondson » April 20th, 2016, 4:24 pm

The lid is not forgotten!

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/04/mom ... -projects/

Momentum building...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Interstate 35W

Postby mattaudio » April 20th, 2016, 9:21 pm

The lid is not forgotten!
The fine work of mister.shoes is not forgotten either.

dte-redone-rev3 by Matt Steele, on Flickr

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 21st, 2016, 12:06 pm

The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

DFPegg
Metrodome

Postby DFPegg » October 13th, 2016, 9:31 am

"Land bridge could transform a section of I-94 in St. Paul"

http://www.startribune.com/land-bridge- ... 396419501/

Mostly talks about lid in St. Paul, especially Rondo area, but also mentions UofM/Downtown

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » October 14th, 2016, 3:17 am

I didn't know Edina had been looking into one -- but I think this is all great news. I think these are great, high impact ideas at comparatively low cost. I hope we see all of these built eventually, but I really hope at some point soon there's some movement on one to act as a catalyst.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 14th, 2016, 1:45 pm

What about the lid between the Phillips n'hood and Elliot Park over the I-94/I-35W commons? There was once talk of a land bridge there as well.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 1st, 2017, 1:07 pm

Throwing in my hat to get a cap in south around 46th street. Hell, lid the whole thing from Diamond Lake Road to 35th street, then cut and cover into downtown. Anyone know of any specific plans for south Minneapolis, or anywhere else in the cities (other than 94 through Rondo and the downtown/west bank lid)?

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 5th, 2017, 7:59 am

I'd be happy to start with a lid from 40th to 42nd: expand MLK Park and re-connect 40th across the void. Probably could extend it a bit on each end. I wouldn't want to do anything that would preclude adding a median BRT stop at 38th in the future though

Not sure any kind of cap is possible south of 51st - terrain wise. You'd bury the creek under a couple layers of infrastructure
Urbanist in the north woods

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 5th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I'd be happy to start with a lid from 40th to 42nd: expand MLK Park and re-connect 40th across the void. Probably could extend it a bit on each end. I wouldn't want to do anything that would preclude adding a median BRT stop at 38th in the future though

Not sure any kind of cap is possible south of 51st - terrain wise. You'd bury the creek under a couple layers of infrastructure
Yeah that'd be a great start. I forgot about the creek being covered. I wonder what else could be done to mitigate the freeway presence there. I run under 35W along the creek all the time and it's shame that it had to go through there.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 6th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Highly improbable under any circumstances. I'll start with technical, because I'm an engineer. MLK park is a giant depression. The freeway side of the park close to the highway is generally much lower than the surrounding neighborhood. You would need massive earthworks and grade changes to make a lid act continuously with the park. That would likely require essentially bulldozing the entire current park. Right now, they are looking at replacing the bike/pedestrian bridge that continues the 40th street bike route. I like the current bridge compared to many other dedicated pedestrian infrastructure in the city because it is fairly level with no stairs or ramps at either end. When they reconstruct, you can expect switchbacks on the MLK park side because they have to raise the height of the bridge to meet current freeway clearance requirements. I requested that they consider ramping up to the new height instead of installing stairs and a switchback ramp, but there was concern about adding even more grade change from the low park elevation up to the sidewalk and street. I'm going to hate that new bridge.

After the technical grade issues, there are still cost effectiveness and political issues. Half of this bridge location would be in fairly affluent Kingfield neighborhood. We are trying to place new parks to alleviate equity concerns and the political push back for doing it here instead of in Rondo (recently proposed by DOT with partners), Cedar-Riverside (long discussed), or in North Minneapolis (part of the river front rehabilitation plan) would be tremendous.

Also, the potential cost payback for useful space here is much smaller than the downtown adjacent options.

As a nearby resident, I think it would be great, but if it were proposed any time soon, I would fight against it because there are better and more deserving neighborhoods.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 6th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Highly improbable under any circumstances. I'll start with technical, because I'm an engineer. MLK park is a giant depression. The freeway side of the park close to the highway is generally much lower than the surrounding neighborhood. You would need massive earthworks and grade changes to make a lid act continuously with the park. That would likely require essentially bulldozing the entire current park. Right now, they are looking at replacing the bike/pedestrian bridge that continues the 40th street bike route. I like the current bridge compared to many other dedicated pedestrian infrastructure in the city because it is fairly level with no stairs or ramps at either end. When they reconstruct, you can expect switchbacks on the MLK park side because they have to raise the height of the bridge to meet current freeway clearance requirements. I requested that they consider ramping up to the new height instead of installing stairs and a switchback ramp, but there was concern about adding even more grade change from the low park elevation up to the sidewalk and street. I'm going to hate that new bridge.

After the technical grade issues, there are still cost effectiveness and political issues. Half of this bridge location would be in fairly affluent Kingfield neighborhood. We are trying to place new parks to alleviate equity concerns and the political push back for doing it here instead of in Rondo (recently proposed by DOT with partners), Cedar-Riverside (long discussed), or in North Minneapolis (part of the river front rehabilitation plan) would be tremendous.

Also, the potential cost payback for useful space here is much smaller than the downtown adjacent options.

As a nearby resident, I think it would be great, but if it were proposed any time soon, I would fight against it because there are better and more deserving neighborhoods.
Not attacking you in any way, but it is so messed up to me how easy it was to ram these stupid freeways through dense urban neighborhoods and how impossible it is to mitigate that damage half a century later. Just infuriates me when I think about it.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 6th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Regarding 40th St... CM Glidden mentioned that the switchback was no longer needed. But I have yet to see the official plan.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » February 6th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Regarding 40th St... CM Glidden mentioned that the switchback was no longer needed. But I have yet to see the official plan.
Thank goodness. I complained to the design staff at the early meeting that I went to about it and maybe they listened. I hadn't seen that communication from Glidden.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 8th, 2017, 7:11 am

MLK park is a giant depression.
It isn't that bad.