U of M Transitway

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: U of M Transitway

Postby mulad » August 15th, 2013, 4:13 pm

I age with you guys about this making things better on Como -- I forgot to mention in my earlier post that the change is still a good thing just for that.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 16th, 2013, 12:45 pm

And they can add a north exit/access, so buses can avoid Snelling, also.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 17th, 2014, 12:02 pm

At Minnesota State Fair, a new main bus hub, rooftop patio
07/17/2014
http://www.twincities.com/statefair/ci_ ... trance-bus

The Minnesota State Fair has a new main entrance.

The new transit hub, unveiled Thursday by Fair officials, will handle about one-third of the annual 1.8 million visitors -- more than any other single entrance.

The $15 million project also includes the West End Marketplace, with a museum, amphitheater, two restaurants -- one with the Fair's first rooftop patio, with a view of the Midway -- and several smaller vendors.

At 22 acres, "It is the biggest change to the Fair landscape since FDR was president," said Fair spokeswoman Brienna Schuette.

The transit hub will give bus-riders their own entrance -- streamlining the process of getting to the Fair.

For decades, most Fair visitors have jammed through entrances along Como Avenue. ...

Last edited by HiawathaGuy on July 17th, 2014, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 17th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I always take the bus to the fair. Why drive? You get dropped off at the entrance lol

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 17th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Am I missing something, or did that article not have the all important "when"? Just said unveiled and showed a rendering of the final product, so I assume that it wont be ready for this year.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 17th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Am I missing something, or did that article not have the all important "when"? Just said unveiled and showed a rendering of the final product, so I assume that it wont be ready for this year.
I believe they broke ground on this last fall. I think it might be done.
From this KSTP report last October:
http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3204363.shtml

Construction is well underway on the West End Market, which will feature new food vendors, more artisans and even a amphitheater.

"We wanted to preserve the identity and character of what we have all come to know as our State Fair," said Tempas.

The name keeps with the very literal theme of other State Fair buildings like the Grandstand and the Ag Building. The West End Market is located on the west end of the fair and will be open for business this summer.

http://kstp.com/photoGallery/2013-10-30 ... deshow.swf

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 17th, 2014, 12:29 pm

Additionally, construction plans include a new adjacent entrance gate and transit hub for buses.
The new complex will open for the 2014 Minnesota State Fair.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/pdf/media/13 ... uction.pdf

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 17th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Ok, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 17th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Biked through a week ago. Looked close to complete. I couldn't tell if they were building bus shelters or additional food vendor sites. Incidentally, biking/walking through the fairgrounds is definitely worthwhile when the fair's not going.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 17th, 2014, 10:17 pm

I always take the bus to the fair. Why drive? You get dropped off at the entrance lol
Well, there's people that don't ride buses and there's no train that goes to the fair. Or people that want to leave their coats in the car during the day. Or if you have a bunch of people and would rather walk a ways and save a bunch of bus fares. I've been there 30 straight years and every time it's been in a car.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 17th, 2014, 10:46 pm

SW Transit gets me there for $4 there and back. We get dropped off about 200 feet from the entrance and there's an area to check in stuff if you feel you don't need it. Traffic I think is a pain and it's nice to bypass.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 17th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Coats in August? You don't need to bother to try and justify it, you just irrationally love your car and hate transit, no big deal.

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » July 18th, 2014, 7:09 am

Well, there's people that don't ride buses and there's no train that goes to the fair. Or people that want to leave their coats in the car during the day. Or if you have a bunch of people and would rather walk a ways and save a bunch of bus fares. I've been there 30 straight years and every time it's been in a car.
I don't ride buses isn't a very compelling argument for not riding buses. Especially shuttles...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 18th, 2014, 7:23 am

I worked the State Fair Express Park & Rides in 2011 and 2012 while interning at Metro Transit. Those buses are full of people who don't ride buses...and they love it.

$5/person and group pass for 4 gets you a little discount. If you have a group of 5 or more, it's probably borderline "cheaper" to drive, but nothing is more convenient and stress free than taking the bus. Just make sure you go to one of the Park & Rides with 15 minute service...the 30 minute ones can get full. Bloomington by MOA is perfect for you md.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » July 18th, 2014, 9:28 am

Having gone to high school in the suburbs, I think it's safe to say there are a lot of people whose only experience with public transit is the state fair buses.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 18th, 2014, 10:15 am

If you really want to drive but don't want to pay for parking you can park at the lots around the TCF Bank Stadium and take a bus from there, they're free but sometimes crowded.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » July 18th, 2014, 10:29 am

Or people that want to leave their coats in the car during the day.
Coats?! I suppose it's late August, and some of the evenings do get a little cool. I've been to the fair ~30 times in the last 14 years, and I think I can count on the fingers of one finger the number of times I've put on anything more than a sweater.

Maybe you mean umbrella for the more likely threat of a thunderstorm. And even then you'd have to be a fool to take an umbrella for the mere chance of rain when everywhere at the fair there are interesting buildings to shelter in if the heavens open.