Highway Transitway Corridor Study

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
tmart
Rice Park

Re: Highway Transitway Corridor Study

Postby tmart » May 17th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Inconvenience of transferring is another issue, for example 46th St & 35W which never worked as intended because riders preferred the one-seat ride on the 146 instead of transferring.
Feeder lines need to have good frequency to be effective; there's no use having buses come every 3 minutes if the feeder only runs on the hour. Ideally both the Orange Line and the perpendicular lines serving the stations would both have headways of 10 min or less, so that the average wait time for a transfer (either to or from the Orange) would be ≤5 min. (Currently the 46 runs every half hour.)
I'll be interested to see if we eventually get some redevelopment around the stations -- the block faces between Nicollet and 35W would seem to be great candidates, and if the redevelopment allowed a slight expansion of the ROW to improve sidewalks, etc. that would be another benefit.
The comp plan does have it penciled in for up to 6 stories on Nicollet north of 47th, and on the few blocks of 46th around the Orange Line station. I'm not holding my breath, both because living so close to an interstate is not generally desirable (extremely high air and noise pollution), and because I think the Orange Line (which basically only provides trips to Downtown or I guess Best Buy corp) is a much less desirable transit amenity than the LRT stations (which get you more places and definitely still have lots more room to grow).

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » January 17th, 2024, 5:19 pm

Bringing back this thread with the discussion over a Highway 36 BRT in the Purple Line thread. Also here's the highway BRT study from 2014 for those who haven't seen it or want to take another look at it: https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... Final.aspx

IMO, the Highway 36 Corridor doesn't have enough development built up alongside it to justify highway BRT. I'm also not a fan of highway BRT with very few exceptions like the Orange Line and a possible I-94 North BRT if it's done right.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » January 17th, 2024, 5:24 pm

There is a more recent (2021) study that was completed by Washington County too.

https://www.co.washington.mn.us/Documen ... nal-Report

Final recommendation in this report is BRT between Maplewood Mall and Minneapolis, via 280/U of M.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » March 7th, 2024, 4:06 am

Bringing back this thread with the discussion over a Highway 36 BRT in the Purple Line thread. Also here's the highway BRT study from 2014 for those who haven't seen it or want to take another look at it: https://metrocouncil.org/Transportation ... Final.aspx

IMO, the Highway 36 Corridor doesn't have enough development built up alongside it to justify highway BRT. I'm also not a fan of highway BRT with very few exceptions like the Orange Line and a possible I-94 North BRT if it's done right.
Highway BRT doesn't need to justify top tier ridership, it should be built as a low cost addition to highway projects meant to replace express routes. And provide high speed transfers to bypass our often very slow transit system. 3-5k within 5 years of opening justifies Highway BRT imo