Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Re: Riverview Corridor Streetcar

Postby alexschief » November 11th, 2020, 1:50 pm

A line that operates as what we call "light rail" for 90% of its length but runs in mixed traffic for 10% is totally reasonable for our population density patterns, and it makes a lot of sense in this corridor.
This should be called what it is; a line with bad design. You can go all over the world to find weird legacy systems with strange characteristics. Boston, Philly, and San Francisco run subway-surface trollies, for instance. But nobody deliberately chooses to build things like that anymore, because they don't make sense. In these cities, these services are notoriously unreliable due to their mixed-traffic segments. San Francisco is proposing an overhaul of the MUNI system to improve reliability by creating a transfer between the surface and subway sections. In Toronto, they have overhauled the traffic rules of their streetcar system in order to get cars out of the way.

Deliberately building rapid transit that runs in mixed traffic in the most congested part of the corridor literally makes no sense if you are prioritizing the quality of transit service. It's like if you built an office tower without an elevator. Just a fundamental misunderstanding of the purpose of the transit investment.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but I promise you, I am not confused about the types of modes and how they blur together. We use terms like LRT and streetcar to communicate, sometimes they help and sometimes they hinder. But what matters is the actual quality of the service. That means a corridor that serves the right nodes in an efficient way, a mode that provides the right capacity and capability, and an alignment that doesn't hinder access or service.

DanPatchToget
Foshay Tower

Postby DanPatchToget » November 11th, 2020, 2:38 pm

I can't speak for Philly and San Francisco, but regarding Boston's Green Line it doesn't help that four branches merge together, the tunnel section among other infrastructure is ancient (oldest subway tunnel in the US), no level-boarding platforms, and their trams are severely limited in terms of capacity.

Oslo has several tram routes that are similar from an operational standpoint to what's proposed for Riverview; dedicated ROW on some segments, mixed-traffic on others. From my experience it's not reliability from mixed-traffic that's the issue, it's the small trams built in the early 80s, no level-boarding at most stations, and they can't couple trams together for more capacity during rush hour.

In Riverview's case I assume all the platforms will be level-boarding, and I hope they're long enough to allow at least 2-car trains. It would be optimal if the stations were built to allow platform extensions for 3-car trains at a later date, but as long as 2-car trains are feasible I'll be okay with it.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 12th, 2020, 9:55 am

I love how easily people here handwave away the deep public opposition to some of this stuff. It's charming in a way.

BoredAgain
Landmark Center

Postby BoredAgain » November 12th, 2020, 10:23 am

In Riverview's case I assume all the platforms will be level-boarding, and I hope they're long enough to allow at least 2-car trains. It would be optimal if the stations were built to allow platform extensions for 3-car trains at a later date, but as long as 2-car trains are feasible I'll be okay with it.
I haven't checked lately, but I'm pretty sure they were planning on only 1 car trains/platforms to avoid blocking crossing intersections on west 7th.

One of the reasons many thought the plan was a poor design for long-term growth.

tmart
Union Depot

Postby tmart » November 12th, 2020, 10:43 am

I love how easily people here handwave away the deep public opposition to some of this stuff. It's charming in a way.
I don't think anyone's hand-waving it away; anyone who followed SWLRT knows better than that. But I think what the best project is given the constraints and parameters, and what project will be the least objectionable to a small but loud and well-connected group of opponents, are two entirely separate questions and it's important to maintain that distinction. As the expression goes, never negotiate with yourself.

Evaluating the project and the options on the table starts with recognizing that, e.g., having a mixed-traffic segment is a concession rather than a feature. It helps us reason about whether the transit quality has been so compromised as to not be worth proceeding. It also helps us identify if there are different concessions that could be made that would address these concerns while having less of an impact on the transit--e.g., subsidizing businesses along the route, incorporating flex/delivery spaces, looking for street changes that could make neighborhood access easier, etc.

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » November 12th, 2020, 10:51 am

I don't think anyone's hand-waving it away; anyone who followed SWLRT knows better than that. But I think what the best project is given the constraints and parameters, and what project will be the least objectionable to a small but loud and well-connected group of opponents, are two entirely separate questions and it's important to maintain that distinction. As the expression goes, never negotiate with yourself.

Evaluating the project and the options on the table starts with recognizing that, e.g., having a mixed-traffic segment is a concession rather than a feature. It helps us reason about whether the transit quality has been so compromised as to not be worth proceeding. It also helps us identify if there are different concessions that could be made that would address these concerns while having less of an impact on the transit--e.g., subsidizing businesses along the route, incorporating flex/delivery spaces, looking for street changes that could make neighborhood access easier, etc.
Perfectly stated.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 12th, 2020, 10:53 am

"Small but loud and well-connected group of opponents" is the definition of handwaving away the opposition. You know who has a good read on the size of the opposition? The elected officials making these compromises.

DanPatchToget
Foshay Tower

Postby DanPatchToget » November 12th, 2020, 11:52 am

"Small but loud and well-connected group of opponents" is the definition of handwaving away the opposition. You know who has a good read on the size of the opposition? The elected officials making these compromises.
Handwaving away opposition is ignoring it. We know there's opposition, and we look at the reasons why people are opposed and find ways to address their concerns without canceling the project altogether. But there are also arguments where we have to make a case for why those arguments are inaccurate, such as people thinking Riverview will bring crime, or that West 7th will be destroyed with light rail/streetcar. There's valid arguments, and then there's fear mongering and pretending no other place on Earth has something similar to what's proposed for Riverview.

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » November 13th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Ramsey County is forming two public advisory committees for the Riverview Modern Streetcar Project to increase outreach to and amplify the voices of people who live, work and recreate on and near the corridor. Applications for both the Community Advisory Committee and the Station Area Planning Task Force will be accepted through December 15, 2020.

These committees will serve during the Engineering and Pre-Environmental Phase (EPE) of the project which will last for approximately three years (early 2021 – late 2023). Applications may be submitted online beginning November 12, 2020 at www.riverviewcorridor.com.
Full message here