Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mulad

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby mulad » February 13th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Early June 2003, so just over a year before opening.

http://www.lightrailnow.org/news/n_min002.htm

But that was the first line in the region, the testing of LRVs was mashed together with testing of tracks/power/signaling, and there was that bus driver strike in spring 2004.

So since the bus drivers have a contract this time, and LRVs can get tested on Hiawatha, and there is experience with LRT in general, perhaps we can say that once the first LRV moves along the Green Line, we're at most 11 months out from the start of service? 6-9 months?

Northropdweller
Block E

Postby Northropdweller » February 14th, 2013, 7:40 am

One day about a week ago, while I was workin'on the railroad on the eastbound Empire Builder...as we were coming into msp on the Minnesota Commercial yard, I happened to look to my right and I saw some rather large packages on board some freight cars that looked suspiciously like light rail vehicles....and they were enveloped in pretty blue plastic wrappers with the word "Siemons"stamped on them. Then as we were departing, I heard one of the Commercial guys ask the yard master for "permission to go get those light rail cars."
I don't..uhm.. 'dwell' in Northrop anymore. Amtrak conductor currently residing in Powderhorn Park.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 14th, 2013, 9:23 am

Awe!!!

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » February 14th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Here's some shot's I mentioned earlier:
First is an example of whats repeated from Snelling to Lex, electrical contractor vans and HD trucks installing some type of electrics
Sorry about reflection.

Next is the crossing posts I'd mentioned; I don't recall these on Hiawatha.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 15th, 2013, 9:35 am

Next is the crossing posts I'd mentioned; I don't recall these on Hiawatha.
Are these in the mid block crosswalks only? I would guess that is the difference between the lines.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » February 15th, 2013, 9:56 am

I believe you're correct- Again, I only saw Snelling to Lexington.

Also experienced twice left turning cars coming straight at me while both of us were making lefts off Hamline (me North, them South). I wonder if distance between turn lanes is shorter, or something is causing left turning drivers to be distracted- I just don't recall this occurring in my decades of driving

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 15th, 2013, 9:59 am

Here's some shot's I mentioned earlier:
First is an example of whats repeated from Snelling to Lex, electrical contractor vans and HD trucks installing some type of electrics
Sorry about reflection.
That building in the background is SO ripe for redevelopment. What do people know about that gem?

THERAT
Metrodome

Postby THERAT » February 15th, 2013, 10:53 am

i think the building the back ground is the old Brown and Biegalow HQ.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 15th, 2013, 11:14 am

Also experienced twice left turning cars coming straight at me while both of us were making lefts off Hamline (me North, them South). I wonder if distance between turn lanes is shorter, or something is causing left turning drivers to be distracted- I just don't recall this occurring in my decades of driving
This makes sense -- I bet the geometries of these intersections are quite a bit different than what people are used to. The "median" with the LRT tracks becomes very wide, but the cross streets aren't any wider like you'd see in a more suburban divided highway condition.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » February 21st, 2013, 7:23 am

Awe!!!

you'll have to repost that in two years when it is relevant.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » February 24th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Here is a video of METRO Green Line Construction made in Dec.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mulad

Postby mulad » March 1st, 2013, 9:00 am

Does anyone have an inkling for when Washington Avenue will reopen to bus traffic? It's been a few months since I've been able to check out the area, so I don't know if much work has been happening over the winter.

I was just curious since Metro Transit put up their March 9th route changes. Presumably it'll have to wait until the next route change cycle (June? July?)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 2nd, 2013, 9:55 am

The Station on Washington construction has taken up the sidewalk, so right now the sidewalk in that area is in the bus lane. It wouldn't be that big a deal to just shut down that sidewalk section and force you to the other side of Washington, but the fact that they've done what they've done makes me think it won't be open to buses for quite a while.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 2nd, 2013, 11:02 am

I got the feeling that Metro Transit doesn't want to return to Washington until the work is really, really done. They don't want to mess around going back on detour, off detour, etc. The current detour has been in effect for so long now, it's probably the norm for most students. I think they will wait until they can operate on Washington permanently.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 2nd, 2013, 1:15 pm

Yeah, seems logical that they will want to wait until catenary is installed, since they won't be able to shut down a lane. Is it reasonable to expect it to be open by the start of classes in the fall?
My flickr photos.

pfreyre
City Center

Postby pfreyre » March 7th, 2013, 8:06 am

I was looking for news updates on the Green Line, since the snow will soon be melting, but instead got a surprise.

The Central Corridor website has been redesigned to match the Met Council's: http://metrocouncil.org/Transportation/ ... urce=child

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 7th, 2013, 11:10 am

wow the huge gray navigation bar at the top is epically broken. Otherwise the site looks okay, hopefully they resolve that issue quickly.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 8th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Well, got the first construction update of 2013. Looks like a few overnight closures around campus coming up.

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletin ... ETC-6ff3ce

mulad

Postby mulad » March 13th, 2013, 12:36 am

On Tuesday, I saw some workers installing switch motors in the double-crossover by the TPT building (the block just west of Union Depot station):

Image link

I took a ride down the line after work on route #50 (thanks DST), but didn't really notice any activity elsewhere. That'll change soon.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » March 22nd, 2013, 7:11 am

I was looking for news updates on the Green Line, since the snow will soon be melting, but instead got a surprise.

The Central Corridor website has been redesigned to match the Met Council's: http://metrocouncil.org/Transportation/ ... urce=child
This is misleading:
"The Green Line has been built on 11 miles of exclusive right of way"
That implies grade separation or no crossings.

Site now says 90% complete but i don't think that includes testing...