Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central)

Postby David Greene » August 14th, 2013, 8:12 pm

The 16 is planned to be shortened so it will run from downtown St. Paul to the UMN campus (near TCF Bank Stadium), but will no longer go all the way into downtown Minneapolis. However, the Green Line will shut down in the late overnight hours like the Blue Line does today, and for those few hours, the 16 will go all the way from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.
Huh. First I've heard about this but I haven't been paying close attention. Do you have a pointer to a document that shows this? I'm curious about the reasoning.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 14th, 2013, 8:29 pm

They were testing the crossing lights near the Stadium Village station on Monday.

http://flic.kr/p/fuwnUt

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 14th, 2013, 8:32 pm

I think those lights have been blinking for days now randomly.

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » August 14th, 2013, 8:40 pm

I happened to drive by the Central Station in Dt St.Paul, they had put up construction fences around the area where the elevator/sky way connection is to be built, so construction should start soon I guess. Also, one article mentioned the possibility of development taking place adjacent to the station. Any rumors...awesome ideas?

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 14th, 2013, 10:50 pm

The 16 is planned to be shortened so it will run from downtown St. Paul to the UMN campus (near TCF Bank Stadium), but will no longer go all the way into downtown Minneapolis. However, the Green Line will shut down in the late overnight hours like the Blue Line does today, and for those few hours, the 16 will go all the way from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.
Huh. First I've heard about this but I haven't been paying close attention. Do you have a pointer to a document that shows this? I'm curious about the reasoning.
All of the planned route changes are available here:
http://www.metrotransit.org/recommended-plan.aspx

As for the crossing warning lights, yeah, they were on last week when I went by on a bus. The bus driver ended up calling dispatch to get permission to go through the lights, and ended up blocking cross traffic for a few minutes while he waited for authorization. I can't really blame someone for following protocol, though. Another bus went through, and the driver said they were risking losing their license.
My flickr photos.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 15th, 2013, 7:19 am

On the crossing lights: When I took the video there was a guy and a truck from Egan electrical there, and they went on and off.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 16th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Overnight testing as far east as Fry begins August 26th. As of Wednesday wire was strung to just east of Dale and certainly wasn't the prior weekend.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » August 16th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Construction 95% per Haigh in this article:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S3131690.shtml?cat=1

MTC site does NOT reflect this (still 94%)

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 17th, 2013, 12:18 am

Gasp! Can't they get ANYTHING right?
My flickr photos.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » August 17th, 2013, 11:32 am

I read the article in the pioneerpress stating that officials *hope* that the line is up and running by the MLB allstar game. What!?!
That is just under a year from now. I'm sure there are many aspects to this project that escape me, but wow.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 17th, 2013, 11:42 am

I would assume that they are just being overly cautious. I don't think there is anything to indicate they are expecting delays, but there is a lot of testing that needs to be done before they open the line. They don't want to announce an opening date in case they find problems during testing. My bet would still be on a late Spring opening.
My flickr photos.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » August 17th, 2013, 2:15 pm

And an early opening always makes you look good- Same as Doctors overestimating risks of surgery-
When it comes out fine, he's a hero!

But Fry Street!?!?! That's almost Snelling!! Things are obviously moving very rapidly.

If things didn't work perfectly, they could get some horses and move the train 'til they get it sorted out!!

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » August 17th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Wow, just went down University and it looks a million times better now than it did before LRT construction.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » August 25th, 2013, 7:32 am

Website has completion @ 95% now (Nick's first post here updates to latest % complete)

My last visit to the line saw caternary properly tied to overhead line almost to Fry st, beyond that (east) both were up, but tied together in an improvised manner, a few places even DUCT TAPED.
Westbound lane WAB had conduit laying in it; workers had knocked off for day and left bent pieces on barrier, which wasn't wide enough, evidently.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 26th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Jon Commers tweeted a photo of LRV testing on the west end of University Avenue in Saint Paul at Hampden.

https://mobile.twitter.com/commers/stat ... 53/photo/1

Meanwhile, in downtown Saint Paul, it looks like the guideway will get ripped into at Cedar and 7th Street -- the intersection is closed off to east-west traffic, which is causing things to get jammed up in the area.

UptownSport
Target Field

Postby UptownSport » August 26th, 2013, 8:30 pm

I'm gonna like this line, doors open so you don't have to wait for stops to get off.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » August 27th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Cool! Jump on-Jump off. Just like the old days!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 28th, 2013, 11:14 am

Ground broke on the vertical circulator in DT Saint Paul today.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 28th, 2013, 12:07 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mulad

Postby mulad » August 29th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Un-tensioned catenary extends just east of Farrington Street in St. Paul, and the arms to hold it up have been attached to poles at least as far as Rice Street station. The 4th & Minnesota intersection was closed today for some sort of catenary work, according to the @CCLRT Twitter feed. Tensioned wire still only exists as far as Snelling, though.