Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2014, 10:19 pm

I will be, for one.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 10th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Wouldn't acceleration/deceleration be the same for 1, 2, 3, or N car trains, since each car accelerates and decelerates itself?

Also, I'm holding out hopes for an UrbanMSP Green Line bar crawl, but it seems like everybody has that idea so maybe it would be terrible. To really do it right would take most of the day and involve something like 15 drinks (assuming 1 drink per stop, and you get off one train to get your drink and board the very next train.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 11th, 2014, 5:59 am

Wouldn't acceleration/deceleration be the same for 1, 2, 3, or N car trains, since each car accelerates and decelerates itself?
It could be a limit of the amount of current that the overhead lines can supply. (i'm sure there would be a limit at some point) But I'm not sure that there would be an issue with three car trains.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 11th, 2014, 6:19 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » June 11th, 2014, 7:40 am

I don't remember ever hearing this: Is there an announcement on the Blue Line trains when traveling north and arriving at Downtown East/Metrodome station that this is the stop to transfer to a Green Line car if you want to go to St Paul?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 11th, 2014, 8:28 am

More grasping at straws by MPR this morning. Counting how many times drivers hit the e-brake during training runs, and adding drama. So glad I stopped giving them money. TPT needs it more anyways.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » June 11th, 2014, 8:38 am

I'm not going to be surprised at all at any accidents involving cars on the Green Line. The blue line has existed for 10 years now and I still see people driving down the tracks/stopping on the tracks on a weekly basis. I'm afraid the learning curve might take a while, especially for out of towners/suburbanites.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 11th, 2014, 8:39 am

I don't remember ever hearing this: Is there an announcement on the Blue Line trains when traveling north and arriving at Downtown East/Metrodome station that this is the stop to transfer to a Green Line car if you want to go to St Paul?
I've noticed it included in the bus routes on the digital display (Bus routes X, Y, Z, & Green Line) but not audibly.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 11th, 2014, 8:45 am

Pioneer Press / TwinCities.com is putting out a bucket load of stories on the Green Line, history of transit, future expansion, etc.
http://www.twincities.com/transportation

Fred Melo is the saving grace of that paper. I hope he gets a job at the Strib when PP goes under.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 11th, 2014, 8:46 am

More grasping at straws by MPR this morning. Counting how many times drivers hit the e-brake during training runs, and adding drama. So glad I stopped giving them money. TPT needs it more anyways.
There's nothing negative about that story. They are reporting facts. Facts that generally show that the line is being operated safely. The only operator that appeared to be doing something unusual is now back to driving buses. If anything, you're the one grasping at straws.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 11th, 2014, 8:50 am

They provided full disclosure of their ongoing negotiations and simply reported facts, I don't think the e-brake article is problematic.
According to the reports, motorists cited for running lights and making illegal turns, and pedestrians cited for jaywalking were responsible for the vast majority of the incidents. In one case, a cyclist "cut out" in front of a train in the middle of a snow storm.
Long story short: people are stupid.
There were three incidents where a light rail operator pulled the emergency brake when no pedestrians, cyclists or other vehicles were present. All involved the same operator.

On April 6, the operator stopped the train "about quarter of the way" through the intersection of University and Wheeler. A few weeks later, the operator applied the emergency brake again in response to what he described as a "rapidly changing" traffic light in his report. And on May 19, during a rain storm, the operator used the emergency brake to stop at the Grotto St. intersection in St. Paul, citing "slippery rails."

That operator returned to his job as a bus driver in May.
Not exactly dirty laundry. Met Council provided this info openly and it's just a case of a driver not suited for trains.

And let's not ignore the front-page special MPR has posted highlighting all of the stops of the Green Line.

Ottergoose
Metrodome

Postby Ottergoose » June 11th, 2014, 11:38 am

How many of us will be riding and taking pictures like tourists all day Saturday and Sunday?
I'll be out to get a few shots of the "first trains," but, unless the forecast greatly improves (as in sunny instead of cloudy) will probably leave documenting the early days of operation to when it clears up a little bit. Hope the rain/thunder doesn't hinder the opening day events too badly.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 11th, 2014, 12:29 pm

They're running trains on campus like gangbusters right now, I definitely saw two trains going to Minneapolis with the Green Square and "Union Depot" as the destination on the sign.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » June 11th, 2014, 12:40 pm

They're running trains on campus like gangbusters right now, I definitely saw two trains going to Minneapolis with the Green Square and "Union Depot" as the destination on the sign.
They're testing the regular schedule with regular signage/announcements this week, so expect this to be the norm.\

EDIT: Well, not incorrect signage. But I assume those are the kinks they're working out. I've seen quite a few incorrect ones, too.
Last edited by IllogicalJake on June 11th, 2014, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 11th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Expect the frequency to be the norm, or expect incorrect destination signage to be the norm?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 11th, 2014, 1:22 pm

I was over there for a few minutes today. Was I seeing things, or were trains coming through more often than every ten minutes?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » June 11th, 2014, 1:23 pm

It felt super frequent to me. Even knowing that I'd see a train every 5 minutes if they were running full headways, it felt like I was seeing a train every couple of minutes. It felt like they were running at 5 minute headways.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » June 11th, 2014, 1:36 pm

It felt super frequent to me. Even knowing that I'd see a train every 5 minutes if they were running full headways, it felt like I was seeing a train every couple of minutes. It felt like they were running at 5 minute headways.
I actually whipped out my phone to time it because I was a little surprised. Two went eastbound within the span of 7 minutes, with a third bringing up the rear two minutes later.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 11th, 2014, 3:52 pm

Just saw a westbound train at West Bank station. Destination board said Target Field. So its fixed in at least some instances.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 11th, 2014, 8:21 pm

I saw a eastbound train with a destination of Target Field, so not everything is fixed.