Green Line / Central Corridor construction thread (archive)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
moda253
Nicollet Mall

Re: Central Corridor LRT

Postby moda253 » July 26th, 2012, 11:08 am

It could be they are not filling them in until all the electrical work and systems stuff is ironed out, IF there is access to wires in those areas. Not sure if there is or not but it would make sense that there would be so in the future if they ever had to open something up they wouldn't have to break open the area where the tracks are. Dunno just a thought.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 28th, 2012, 9:17 pm

A couple nighttime shots of the Union Depot station. Looks great lit up. Almost like it's open for business.

DSCN1264 by spectre 000, on Flickr

DSCN1265 by spectre 000, on Flickr

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2012, 1:49 am

It's sort of a bummer to have all the signage and everything all ready to go, almost two years before it'll actually be in operation :(.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

web

Postby web » July 30th, 2012, 1:19 am

well there is no power/propulsion....zippo

mulad

Postby mulad » August 1st, 2012, 2:46 pm

I'm not quite sure if they're behind the times or jumping the gun, but KARE had a story on the CCLRT & Hiawatha rails getting tied together:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9851 ... -this-week

They're late because the tie-in has been going on for a couple months now, and they're early because the rails don't actually connect to Saint Paul yet. But anyway, I guess the second track will get connected this weekend.

Actually, that brings up a point -- another nice litle milestone will be when rails actually cross between the two cities on the border at Emerald Street (unless something is already there, but I don't think so quite yet).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 2nd, 2012, 6:13 am

It actually looks like they have started doing the rail work at Emerald this week.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 4th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Yeah, I saw that they've started putting the rebar in place on a short block-long stretch at Emerald. No rails in yet, though.

Rails are beginning to get aligned through the Huron/University intersection and between Huron and Oak. A recent CCLRT newsletter says that Washington Avenue should reopen between Huron and Oak about two weeks into the semester (so, mid-September).

Looks like they're starting to install the catenary poles between roughly Raymond Ave and Fairview Ave, though they're very bare -- the only attachment points I saw looked very low, so I guess they're going to basically use straps to hold the armatures that will actually cary the wires.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 7th, 2012, 11:34 pm

What Newsletter said that? I've been scouring them as they come out for info like that and haven't see anything yet.

And woe to the poor incoming freshmen who will have a few weeks of completely messed up bus routes, and as soon as they get used to it, BAM, everything is back to normal.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 8th, 2012, 12:50 am

I seem to recall reading the same announcement, but i don't remember where. Washington will only reopen between Huron and Oak, not the whole length. The bus detours will remain in effect.
My flickr photos.

mulad

Postby mulad » August 8th, 2012, 2:18 am

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 8th, 2012, 8:48 am

All that says is that Washington will be open in its final configuration from Oak St to Huron. Nothing about from the bridge to Harvard to Walnut, which is the part that is permanently closed.

And Walnut is the point where it opens to general traffic, right?

mulad

Postby mulad » August 8th, 2012, 9:30 am

Yeah, the general traffic segment is between Huron and Walnut -- the block between Oak and Walnut has been open for quite a while already. The Harvard & Washington intersection was completely ripped up the last few times I've been by (though the newsletter says the construction is about done there), and there are at least partial rails between Walnut and Harvard. Based on my own observations, I think the restricted portion of Washington will be able to open as far as Church Street around the same time as the eastern part opens, and at this point I don't see why the rest of Washington couldn't open to buses by the end of the calendar year -- but I don't really know what's going on underground.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » August 8th, 2012, 10:30 am

I was wondering, will they be able to install all the catenary without blocking traffic along Washington? They will be able to stage construction equipment on the tracks, but if they need to close lanes as well they will want to think twice about when they end the bus detours. There is only one lane each direction, so they will want to be sure they don't have to close the lanes down before they open Washington for bus traffic. In other words, I could see the bus detours possibly ending as soon as the end of this year, or I could see them lasting well into next year as well, depending on construction needs.
My flickr photos.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » August 8th, 2012, 10:58 am

I thought they were going to wait until the mall was complete. I can't imagine that will be anytime sooner than next summer.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » August 8th, 2012, 11:26 am

by MSPtoMKE
I was wondering, will they be able to install all the catenary without blocking traffic along Washington?
It is my understanding that the catenary will go in next year. So they should open bus traffic as soon as they can.
by FISHMANPET
And woe to the poor incoming freshmen who will have a few weeks of completely messed up bus routes, and as soon as they get used to it, BAM, everything is back to normal.
I am thinking they will be fine.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if we had this building along the new line in Midway... http://books.google.com/books?id=a-QWRI ... &q&f=false
Instead we have a walmart.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 8th, 2012, 2:39 pm

I've been noticing bus and billboard advertisements referencing the "Green Line" lately. Guess it's good we're starting to put that out in the world.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » August 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

The Herbergers Store has a nice tower-like entrance that pays homage to the old Montgomery Wards building. A shame we'll likely never see all the parking lots in the immediate area developed.

I googled "montgomery wards midway st. paul" and the first result is http://outhistory.org/wiki/Montgomery_Wards, "Along with many other sites in the queer history of St. Paul, Montgomery Wards was part of an underground network of queer male cruising.(3) Men met and engaged in furtive sexual activity in the “Wards” toilets long before The Town House Bar opened across the street in 1969. Like department stores, Wards was an enormous place of constant activity. Unlike high-end department stores, the inexpensive nature of the retailer likely permitted poor men to participate."

The second hit is more appropriate, http://nokohaha.com/2011/03/02/the-mont ... n-and-now/. Some nice pictures.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Wow. We were tearing down buildings to replace with big box as recently as the mid 90s? Sad.
I wonder if the railroad spur between Pascal and Hamline once crossed 94 to connect to the Montgomery Ward warehouse.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 8th, 2012, 5:02 pm

That makes me sick. These sorts of things are the proof that anything that has an iota of historical presence or importance should be preserved/re-purposed. Decisions like this are made for not just ours, but future generations, and we don't understand what our current world will hold in historical context for them. I mean even a dreaded 90's strip mall might be of importance and nostalgia in 50-100 years, a destination place to view old cars parked in its spacious lot, get dinner see a movie... (barf). There is rarely a good excuse to tear down an architect designed building that has outlived its previous use. Rant Rant Rant. but it's Spectre's fault for posting those pictures. Imagine what kind of mixed use TOD along the Green line that building could have been! And all it had to do was hold on for 15 more years!? GAH!!!