Target Field

Re: D Line - Chicago-Fremont/Emerson Rapid Bus

Postby NickP » October 15th, 2020, 8:00 am

Yes!!!

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 15th, 2020, 10:14 am

The House has voted to fund it. Before you crack the domestic non-vintage sparkling wine, wait for the Senate to vote and the governor to sign it. If the Senate passes the bill, it will probably be after significant changes that require the two houses to create a compromise before it goes to the governor. Today's news is good news, but the line didn't get funded yet.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » October 15th, 2020, 10:48 am

My bad I didn't read that right. That's what I get reading through things at 4am before work.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 17th, 2020, 10:53 am

Looks like the House decided to play hardball, and adjourned their session after passing the bill, making the Senate take it or leave it, and they took it. So, assuming the governor doesn't decide to torpedo his own party's big accomplishment, I think we can consider this funded. Here's a Minnesota Reformer article about the BRT lines, which includes the tidbit that all the buses for both the D and B Lines will now be electric. Metro Transit must be confident in the technology now that the kinks are worked out with the C Line.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » October 17th, 2020, 1:33 pm

The battery electric bus thing is interesting, because I know a lot of US agencies have struggled with them, even as places abroad (mostly in China) have succeeded. The D Line especially will be a long route for the BEBs, and even tougher in the winter. I'd be interested to know what Metro Transit might be doing right, and what gives them the confidence to move forward with the technology.

I wonder if it's partially a manufacturer issue. I believe there have been specific problems with Proterra's BEBs, and maybe the New Flyer model is superior.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 17th, 2020, 3:15 pm

I imagine that the D Line buildout will install chargers at MOA, so buses can charge up at both ends. Not at a computer right now to measure distance, but I would think that the one-way length of the D Line is probably pretty similar to the round-trip length of the C Line, right?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » October 17th, 2020, 7:08 pm

The battery electric bus thing is interesting, because I know a lot of US agencies have struggled with them, even as places abroad (mostly in China) have succeeded. The D Line especially will be a long route for the BEBs, and even tougher in the winter. I'd be interested to know what Metro Transit might be doing right, and what gives them the confidence to move forward with the technology.

I wonder if it's partially a manufacturer issue. I believe there have been specific problems with Proterra's BEBs, and maybe the New Flyer model is superior.
I've heard only bad things about BYD. Albuquerque originally ordered from them for their BRT route, but there were several issues with the buses and chargers plus not all of the buses were delivered on schedule, leading to the service being delayed for 2 years. They instead use diesel buses, but I'm not sure which manufacturer.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 17th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Indianapolis also ordered BYD buses for their new BRT line. I believe some of the issues have been resolved, but a future order has been cancelled.

Palmdale/Lancaster CA is pretty much an all BYD fleet at this point (that is where BYD buses are manufactured in the US), and Seattle and Toronto are testing BYD buses. There are a few other systems (mostly in CA) that operate them also. Most of the buses in Guangzhou and Shenzhen are BYD electric buses, and there's probably something like 15-20,000 in operation between the two cities.

Here in Chicago we have 2 electric New Flyers that have been converted from slow-charge to fast-charge. One bus line (# 66 Chicago) is getting bus lanes and will get a fleet of Proterras. It will be interesting to see how the new buses perform.

Both Gillig and Nova also offer electric buses now.

I think some of the big problems with electric buses so far have been aggressive expectations from TAs. They're definitely not proven over the long term at this point and it doesn't make sense to put the most important (i.e. BRT) lines as the test subjects. For now it's probably best to introduce them on lighter-used lines to better understand them and the operational needs.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 2nd, 2020, 10:40 am

The stop at 38th & Chicago has been removed. If it gets re-added, it would be built as part of a phase 2.

Which means that if the 23 returns to its normal route, there won't be a transfer anymore.

The longest gap in the line will also now be between 34th & 42nd (1 mile).

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 2nd, 2020, 11:14 am

Interesting but terrible idea. If the city is intent on keeping the intersection closed, they need to maintain the stop at 38th St.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 2nd, 2020, 12:29 pm

Seems easy enough to add back into the plan if the City and activists come to an agreement about reopening the intersection.

What's the alternative? Metro Transit isn't going to invade George Floyd Square construct the station by force.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:41 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's correct that there is a question of "if" it gets built or that building it will wait for a future phase (not sure what that means), just that they will build it outside of main construction and after decisions have been made about what the intersection is going to look like. I was told they just don't want to build a station that might need to get moved (by Nathan Bakken, who works for Metro Transit (and I think has participated here), on Twitter, which I'd link to but I'm old and don't have that password saved on this machine).

This is the bulletin: https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/2aee83a

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 2nd, 2020, 1:36 pm

I suppose I should have said that they should maintain a 38th St stop on Park/Portland or whatever detour route they're going to use. Or have a temporary stop at 38th/Chicago if the intersection reopens before the D Line starts service.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 2nd, 2020, 1:55 pm

I suppose I should have said that they should maintain a 38th St stop on Park/Portland or whatever detour route they're going to use. Or have a temporary stop at 38th/Chicago if the intersection reopens before the D Line starts service.
Absolutely. I find it hard to imagine that they wouldn't. A lack of finished stations didn't stop the C Line from stopping downtown initially.

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » February 10th, 2021, 11:27 pm

I know the time for feedback on station designs has long since passed, but I was looking over the plans and it occurred to me what a missed opportunity it is that we aren't building the Chicago stops as floating stops.

Buses stopping in the bike lane is not great, especially when there was the opportunity to choose a safer configuration.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » February 11th, 2021, 10:12 am

Kinda interesting too as Metro Transit did a sort of test of this with the C line stop at HWY 55 and N 7th St

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » February 11th, 2021, 10:47 am

I wish they would have been able to use one of the one ways of Emerson or Fremont as transit and bikes only and then the other street for two way traffic up to Lowry. Too bad it would never happen.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 11th, 2021, 12:44 pm

So if Chicago isn't reopened at 38th by the time construction starts they have plenty of other areas to work instead?

With regards to the floating island, I used to commute through 7th and I rarely used it unless there was a bus there. I felt safer staying on the road for some reason. I think it was because I would be watching for cars and etc at the 55 intersection and felt staying on 7th was better because the street was more predictable than the diverted bike lane. I also felt like I was darting in and out of the roadway and like to be on the side of the road and seen. Versus disappearing behind a bus shelter and reappearing. (Even though I would be in a bike lane.)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » February 17th, 2021, 7:18 am

D Line construction contract recently awarded. The article gives a date of December 2022 for opening.

https://m.startribune.com/met-council-c ... lmob=y&c=n