Postby MinnMonkey » November 10th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY40h23WZUY

Lets see buses do that!

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby VAStationDude » November 10th, 2014, 4:47 pm

I'm on the type 1 train towards Minneapolis. The doors are faster opening and closing. We've made Dale, Lexington and Hamline lights!

emcee squared
Metrodome

Postby emcee squared » November 10th, 2014, 5:49 pm

Was on a 2-car train during rush-hour this morning. It was weird watching people have to shuffle across the icy station. A heads up would have been nice.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 11th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Quick questions. I have two brother-in-laws coming to Minneapolis this weekend for the Gopher game and Garth. We are staying at the Loews and were planning on taking the Green Line to and from the game. If I get a Go-To Card, can I swipe that 3 times at the station for the 3 of us to ride? Or would i have to get 3 different cards? I would be getting the Stored Value card, but it does not say if it works to do that. Anyone have any experience with that?

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 11th, 2014, 2:04 pm

You can pick the number of tickets you want to buy prior to swiping the card. My wife and I do this all the time and it is a stored value card.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » November 11th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Thanks!!!!! Appreciate it!!

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » November 11th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Just saw an eastbound 2 car train of Bombardier LRVs on the Green Line with the destination sign displaying Minneapolis... :|
My flickr photos.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 11th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Just saw an eastbound 2 car train of Bombardier LRVs on the Green Line with the destination sign displaying Minneapolis... :|
I've spotted Bombardiers on the Green Line before - although I saw "METRO" as the destination sign.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 12th, 2014, 10:02 am

You can pick the number of tickets you want to buy prior to swiping the card. My wife and I do this all the time and it is a stored value card.
I'll just note that you can (and should) do this, but it's a little bit tricky and not terribly intuitive, and you need to make sure you select the number of riders before you swipe the card.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » November 12th, 2014, 12:04 pm

^^ Made that mistake this weekend when my brother/mother in law came up from Iowa to watch the MN/IA game. I thought you simply swipe the stored Go To card twice. Only after I swiped it once did I realize not the case.

If you're getting on a bus you can do the same, you just need to ask the driver to select number of riders the same way you would at a LRT platform yourself.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 12th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Interestingly enough boarded a Bombardier Blue Line train that was displaying Green Line "Downtown Saint Paul" signage on the side of the front car. I alerted the driver who was very nice, he had no idea. There were a lot of confused passengers, hah.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » November 12th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Yesterday at the Downtown East station, the correct side doors opened at the station, and then the other side doors opened as well. They then closed in a musical flurry.

Really created a cross-draft!

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 12th, 2014, 7:33 pm

On the handful of Type 1 Green Line trains I've ridden on recently, the announcements have consistently been for "Downtown East/Metrodome" rather than just Downtown East. Wonder if they'll get around to fixing that.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 13th, 2014, 11:35 am

On the handful of Type 1 Green Line trains I've ridden on recently, the announcements have consistently been for "Downtown East/Metrodome" rather than just Downtown East. Wonder if they'll get around to fixing that.
This happened the last time I went downtown on a Type 1 Blue Line train. I was like "Um? What?"
Seems bizarre that they wouldn't have deleted all irrelevant station announcements from their files...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 17th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Wow!

"There were 1,131,264 rides on the Green Line in October, up 6 percent from September’s seven-figure total..."

Green Line ridership surges to another monthly record

Snelbian
Rice Park

Postby Snelbian » November 18th, 2014, 9:11 am

Yeah, but how many of those rides are poor black inner city thugs not paying? Huh? Why won't MetroTransit tell us?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2014, 9:22 am

^you just made me look at the comments section. my eyes!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 18th, 2014, 9:33 am

I would be interested to see a figure of how many of these rides are 'intra-campus' rides -- rides from the west bank to the east bank, etc. I'd argue that these rides aren't nearly as important as other trips, and may be inflating the ridership numbers.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 18th, 2014, 9:51 am

I definitely see some people taking West Bank to East Bank and vice versa, but it's a pretty small number. Most of those will just do the buses from Coffman to Wiley instead, since those locations are really far more convenient.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 18th, 2014, 9:58 am

I would be interested to see a figure of how many of these rides are 'intra-campus' rides -- rides from the west bank to the east bank, etc. I'd argue that these rides aren't nearly as important as other trips, and may be inflating the ridership numbers.
It's not going to be many - working on the West Bank and having a lot of activities and meetings on the East Bank, I can tell you that the buses are always faster and less trouble for intra-campus travel. One would have to be riding the light rail for the sake of riding the light rail for it to make sense.