Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News and Happenings

Postby Tcmetro » June 13th, 2014, 9:23 am

A lot of the bus stops on University have been converted to the new design as well. I imagine they are trying to get new riders to use the stop numbers for the NexTrip website, as that is the only new functionality of the new bus stop signs.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 13th, 2014, 9:27 am

Yeah, I really wish they'd include the route number(s) and some other info: direction, endpoint/major destinations, frequency of service, start/end of service, and working up to full schedules and maps at bigger stops (though that stuff is fine to place inside shelters).

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 13th, 2014, 9:28 am

I like the stop number as supplementary information, but a lot of their target audience may not have smart phones. They really need to have *real* information at the bus stops. A lot of cities use cylinders on the post to include all sorts of relevant information. More cost, sure, but it's still available if your battery dies.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 13th, 2014, 9:34 am

LA, Houston, NY, SF, Seattle have route numbers and destinations at the minimum. Chicago goes all out, with maps, service hours, and a note about frequency if buses run less than every 20 minutes.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 13th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Any news on Nextrip/real time arrival signage for both LRT lines? Will it be turned on in time for the Green Line opening?
http://www.metrotransit.org/good-questi ... ve-nextrip

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » June 13th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Our bus stops are truly embarrassing for visitors, and appalling for anyone who uses MetroTransit. For the price of a couple of park and ride spots they could have timetables at every bus-stop. But they don't. Some parts of MetroTransit seem well run, whoever does their signage and communication is not even phoning it in.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » June 13th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Any news on Nextrip/real time arrival signage for both LRT lines? Will it be turned on in time for the Green Line opening?
http://www.metrotransit.org/good-questi ... ve-nextrip
It may happen when GREEN Line starts. I noticed that when I am coming to the the station there is a announcement saying that the train is not in service. It will also say the track number.
Last edited by LRV Op Dude on June 13th, 2014, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » June 13th, 2014, 4:52 pm

Our bus stops are truly embarrassing for visitors, and appalling for anyone who uses MetroTransit. For the price of a couple of park and ride spots they could have timetables at every bus-stop. But they don't. Some parts of MetroTransit seem well run, whoever does their signage and communication is not even phoning it in.
Absolutely agree. There are a lot of great things they could do (district signs directing walkers to the stations, for example) but before we can get to any of that they need to start providing the basics.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 13th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I saw some of the new signs tonight. I pointed it out to my wife. She pointed out that it doesn't say "Bus Stop" anymore. If you weren't aware...

mulad

Postby mulad » June 15th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Metro Transit's new website has caused some old URLs to go missing again, so some of my old shortcuts don't really work. The upside is that they simplified the URLs for schedules, so you can just type in "metrotransit.org/route/888" to get schedules for Northstar, for instance. Previously, that was something like "metrotransit.org/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx?route=888" which wasn't easy to remember. It looks like the old version still redirects to the new URL format, though I know I've found a few things in my browsing history that didn't work right.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 15th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Kind of related to talk of slow/delayed transit, here's a pretty amazing set of visualizations of data from the Boston area: http://mbtaviz.github.io/

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 16th, 2014, 11:45 am

With the recent service changes, a lot of the contracted bus lines switched operators:

Routes 62, 262, and 275 went from Lorenz to Metro Transit.
Routes 27 and 542 went from Metro Transit to First Transit.
Routes 351, 721, 722, and 723 went from First Transit to Metro Transit.
Routes 32, 80, and 705 went from Lorenz to First Transit.

This pretty much leaves First Transit as the sole operator of the contracted bus routes, save for the Anoka County lines (801, 805, 831) that are operated by MV Transportation.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 17th, 2014, 5:42 am

I'm happy to discover that route 83 has roughly 1/4-mile stop spacing along its route, particularly along Lexington and Hamline where it doesn't share stops with any other buses: http://www.metrotransit.org/imap/map.aspx?route=83

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 19th, 2014, 6:36 am

^That is incredible. I'll have to check in with my Metro Transit employee friends to see how that happened. Since they were all newly placed stops, perhaps it was just easier for Metro Transit politically (small "p"), since they had to deal with fewer angry property owners who would now have bus stops adjacent to their yards.

I wonder if they'll get any requests to add more stops... I'm guessing not. When it comes to transit, both adding and subtracting stops is like pulling teeth. Any guesses on how long the southern portion of the route stays on 35E, before getting enough requests to put in on Lexington as originally planned? Maybe the speed of the freeway alignment actually draws more riders than that isolated, low density stretch of Lexington would, route legibility be damned.

I've been thinking more about approaching Metro Transit with my idea of doing 1/4-mile stops as a pilot project on one or two routes...and only for the most urban portions of the route where stops are requested every single block, all damn day long. It doesn't much matter if stops are placed every block in outlying residential areas, if the bus only has to stop every 1/2-mile to 1-mile. Functionally, for the south Mpls, the area between Lake Street and downtown is what should be recalibrated to 1/4-mile spacing on every route, eventually with the full amenity stop/shelter/heat/info package.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 19th, 2014, 8:10 am

I'm curious if the I-35E routing is just temporary too -- there's currently construction on Lexington south of Randolph.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 19th, 2014, 8:39 am

Nope, it's not temporary. The earlier proposed Lexington routing was scuttled by anti-transit residents on that stretch of Lexington. While it would make sense from a route legibility standpoint, that segment of Lexington is essentially a long strip of single-family homes, isolated by geography and lack of cross streets. The number of potential riders coming from that stretch has to be rather low. If the speed gained by running it on 35E means it takes one less bus to operate the route, that is probably a worthy trade-off. As I said above, the gained speed might actually attrach more potential riders than the skipped low-density part of Lexington eliminates. Then again, the route actually leaves Lexington and jogs west to Edgecumbe before taking Randolph to 35E, so I'm not sure if there's any meaningful time savings over just staying on Lexington. Certainly a perceived time difference for riders, if not actual.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 19th, 2014, 9:02 am

Eh, the travel time difference is something on the order of 20 seconds going southbound, discounting lights and acceleration/deceleration (there aren't any lights or stops on Lexington between Randolph and West 7th) -- likely less going northbound because of the cloverleaf-style loop (though getting on the highway is a right turn rather than a left to go up Lexington). One of the drivers on the route tends to go pretty fast, leading to waits of 1-3 minutes at each of the time points, though the others seem to hit their times more precisely.

I do think having the stop at West 7th and Albion is nice, though -- direct transfer to the 54. Not the nicest area, but better than the next stop down the line by Mickey's.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 19th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 19th, 2014, 3:40 pm

I've been slowly working on a network on that website. It's pretty awesome.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 20th, 2014, 8:35 pm

Hmm, the 84 isn't technically qualified as a Hi-Frequency route any longer, as the service drops to every 20 minutes after about 7:30 pm. Presumably the A Line will bump the effective frequency back up to better than every 15 minutes until 9 pm.