Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Silophant » November 13th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Oh, interesting. That'll certainly be an efficiency boost to start using the median station again.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 14th, 2020, 11:02 am

Im confused on where this station will be. Doesn't the entire line technically run on Cedar Ave? To me that would imply that every station is on it.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 14th, 2020, 11:25 am

"Cedar Ave" must be a typo since, like you say, every station except MOA is on Cedar. I think that's intended to be "Cedar Grove", where there's a median station connected by a skyway to the transit center off to the side of the freeway.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm

It would be interesting to see the ridership #s from the Trailhead. So many suburbanites going there and all the lots fill up. But, if you lived in North Loop and wanted to go skiing it would be really useful. The Loppet Foundation has a lot of work to get it's Northside Neighbors engaged in their activities unfortunately

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » November 14th, 2020, 11:04 pm

"Cedar Ave" must be a typo since, like you say, every station except MOA is on Cedar. I think that's intended to be "Cedar Grove", where there's a median station connected by a skyway to the transit center off to the side of the freeway.
Thanks!

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » December 4th, 2020, 9:30 pm

MVTA is launching a couple new local routes in Burnsville, Apple Valley, and Eagan. Route 442 is being extended to the Mall of America and will basically be a duplicate of the Red Line. The new services begin tomorrow. Seems like a very expensive way of sticking it to Metro Transit and the Met Council for giving Metro Transit the Red Line operations.

https://www.mvta.com/news/mvta-launchin ... Ws6sN_IXew

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 4th, 2020, 9:56 pm

MVTA is launching a couple new local routes in Burnsville, Apple Valley, and Eagan. Route 442 is being extended to the Mall of America and will basically be a duplicate of the Red Line. The new services begin tomorrow. Seems like a very expensive way of sticking it to Metro Transit and the Met Council for giving Metro Transit the Red Line operations.

It seems they can add these much needed routes between there transit stations because they no longer run the Red Line, this seems like a better use of their resources!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 5th, 2020, 6:16 am

Did I miss it, or is there any map of where these new routes will travel? Or even time points?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 5th, 2020, 10:15 am

Did I miss it, or is there any map of where these new routes will travel? Or even time points?
I’m pretty sure MVTA haphazardly announced these yesterday, they have timetables but no maps. It honestly seems like it was done last minute.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 5th, 2020, 10:46 am

I think they are all direct routes.

443 - Eagan Transit Station to Apple Valley Transit Station - every 20 mins weekdays, 30 mins weekends
447 - Burnsville Transit Station to Apple Valley Transit Station - every 20 mins weekdays, 30 mins weekends
442X - Mall of America to Apple Valley Transit Station - every 20 mins weekdays, 30 mins weekends
442Y - Mall of America to Apple Valley Transit Station via Cedar Grove - every 20 mins weekdays, 30 mins weekends

Gives the Cedar Corridor 10 trips per hour on weekdays across the Red Line, 442, 442X, 442Y. 442X and 442Y scheduled to depart at the same time as the Red Line. Who says there's no money for transit operations?

Clearly these are just weapons in the war with the Met Council to gut the Red Line. I do hope that the 443 and 447 can evolve into something useful however.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 5th, 2020, 11:16 am

It’s like children run MVTA or something....

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 5th, 2020, 12:16 pm

What's the point of the X and Y departing at the same time as each other? Why wouldn't you space them out?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » December 5th, 2020, 12:45 pm

What's the point of the X and Y departing at the same time as each other? Why wouldn't you space them out?
Because they only care about sticking it to Metro Transit and Met Council.... and not actually providing quality service for their customers.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » December 5th, 2020, 7:11 pm

I expect to see these kind of tactics from the airlines, like in the Northwest days when they were very protective of their MSP hub. But from a public transit agency? This is such a waste and to do this during the times we're in is absolutely careless. I would be very interested in knowing the conversations that went down at the MVTA that led to these decisions.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 18th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Has anyone noticed that the various apps and websites give terrible transit directions recently? I've been helping someone with a trip they need to take today, and Google Maps, the Transit App, and the Metro Transit website have all been giving pretty terrible suggestions. They all seem to give routes that would take significantly longer than the most logical routing. Google Maps default routing even suggested driving a car to a typical residential bus stop and going from there, which totally defeats the point of offering public transit directions.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » January 29th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Greyhound added a stop in Lakeland, MN earlier this week, at the park and ride near I-94/MN-95. Two trips a day stop their each way on the route between Minneapolis and Chicago, with stops in Eau Claire, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, Madison, and Milwaukee.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 29th, 2021, 4:55 pm

tmart
Rice Park

Postby tmart » January 29th, 2021, 5:22 pm

I think I'm in the minority here, in that I'd rather see the city try and divert the streetcar money into a good LRT project instead of canning it entirely and doing buses. But in any case I think the big lesson from this whole shambles is that it's dumb that the city can't just set up tax districts or redirect funds from them without input from the state legislature.

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » February 2nd, 2021, 5:40 pm

Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » February 2nd, 2021, 5:59 pm

So based on the county commissioners quote, it seems like Dakota County is willing to work with multiple agencies to provide transit service to Dakota County!

Specifically extending service from West St Paul into Eagan, maybe???