Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Tcmetro » September 4th, 2012, 7:57 am

A general thread for public transit news and happenings in Minneapolis-St. Paul and greater MN.

First up - Schedule changes for Sept. 8th:

- Increased service on 2, 3, 16, 50, 111, 113, 114, 115, 118, 252, 272, and 579 for U of M. (Eff. 9.4.12)
- Increased service on 5, 6, 10, 11, 14, 18, 19, 21, 22, 32, 46, and 724 for MPS. (Eff. 8.27.12)
- Route 3 improved to every 15 minutes on Saturdays between Downtown Minneapolis and Como & Snelling.
- Route 32 improved to every 30 minutes during the daytime. New school branches operate from various North Side neighborhoods to Edison HS.
- Route 54 improved to every 20 minutes on Sundays.
- Route 515 improved to every 20 minutes on Weekday and Saturday evenings.
- MVTA 465 improved to every 15 minutes in rush hour, and every 30 minutes during midday. Burnsville-Apple Valley segment eliminated. (Eff. 9.4.12)
- MVTA 475 has more trips added, and is extended to Apple Valley. (Eff. 9.4.12)
- Maple Grove 788 rerouted to serve other neighborhoods of SW Maple Grove.

http://www.metrotransit.org/TransitArti ... cleid=1038

SW Transit also changes today (9.4.12). Most changes deal with the closure of the East Creek Station for construction of a ramp, but there are also changes to Route 684, including a new routing to job sites in Chanhassen and Chaska.

http://www.swtransit.org/SCHEDULE_CHANGES_9_4.html

NickP
Target Field

Re: Transit News and Happenings

Postby NickP » September 4th, 2012, 9:10 am

I read the transit article and was a bit confused, it seems more like they are lowering service on Route 2. Also, why would they increase service for the schools? Would this be for the staff members, or is MPS having issues with bussing and need to use Metro Transit to supplement student bus service?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 4th, 2012, 9:14 am

MPS is having students ride city buses starting this year.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » September 4th, 2012, 9:29 am

Thanks man. :)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 4th, 2012, 10:07 am

Service is being reduced on the 2 from the levels of the last school year, but more service is being operated in comparison to the summer.

As for the High Schools, North, Henry, Edison, Roosevelt, and Washburn are being converted to transit busing this year, and South and Southwest will convert next year.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » September 4th, 2012, 10:35 am

As part of the introduction of the New Flyer Xcelsior next generation of hybrid-electric bus, free rides will be offered on bus 7291 September 10-16. 2012. This bus will be assigned to route 10 to take best advantage of the hybrid technology while giving it high visibility down Nicollet Mall. Free rides are only on bus 7291 during the promotional period, no other buses on route 10 will be free.
Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 6th, 2012, 7:23 am

We are almost at the tipping point. We have no choice, we need more lanes. There is no way you guys get the SW LRT if the roads aren't increased; the hated suburbanites will revolt. We HAVE to have more lanes.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 6th, 2012, 7:50 am

We need more lanes? I drove 35W from 98th Street to Downtown this morning at 7:30 and never dropped below 50 MPH...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 6th, 2012, 7:51 am

Actually, I have a deal for you. We will spend the same amount on transit expansion as we spend on road capacity expansion. Sound fair? We better get started on SW LRT then, in exchange for the Stillwater bridge.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » September 6th, 2012, 8:06 am

There are both more lanes and transit projects in the pipeline. What are the expansions of 610, 694, 35E, 494, etc underway for?

There are 3 light rail projects underway, 2 BRT lines underway, and a slew of projects in Alternatives Analysis. The CTIB and New Starts money might as well be spent on transit, it's not like it could be spent on roads anyways.

And I'm sure that the suburbanites are going to hold rallies in Maple Grove and wherenot burning paper buses and trains because "they didn't get more lanes". Please call me when that happens.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 6th, 2012, 10:49 am

Actually, I have a deal for you. We will spend the same amount on transit expansion as we spend on road capacity expansion. Sound fair? We better get started on SW LRT then, in exchange for the Stillwater bridge.
sounds fair enough!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 6th, 2012, 12:38 pm

62 needs more lanes and new interchanges as does 169. Please finish those before a new exurban loop is built. Do that, and SWLRT.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 7th, 2012, 9:31 am

I move to delete the last 6 posts (7 including mine) because they are not "Transit News and Happenings"

Nasa, if you want to gripe about transit vs. road funding, start a new thread. That topic could be (and has been) debated ad nauseam.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 7th, 2012, 12:27 pm

That makes zero sense; almost no one uses rail, light or heavy. Almost everyone uses the roads. There's no way the SW LRT gets built if we don't have major road expansion. The people paying thhe bills will not stand for it.....and that's a fact. You might want to cool your rhetoric, people don't play well when they're constantly insulted. It's noticed.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 7th, 2012, 12:28 pm

I move to delete the last 6 posts (7 including mine) because they are not "Transit News and Happenings"

Nasa, if you want to gripe about transit vs. road funding, start a new thread. That topic could be (and has been) debated ad nauseam.
Traffic is transit. And I will talk about it.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm

62 needs more lanes and new interchanges as does 169. Please finish those before a new exurban loop is built. Do that, and SWLRT.
I completely agree.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 7th, 2012, 1:14 pm

OK, then let's rename the thread Mass Transit News and Happenings and kick you out of it.

It's pretty clear what twincitizen meant and you're just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 7th, 2012, 1:25 pm

OK, then let's rename the thread Mass Transit News and Happenings and kick you out of it.

It's pretty clear what twincitizen meant and you're just being obtuse for the sake of being obtuse.

That's not being obtuse; Terrible application of the word.

Some of you just love to put your fingers in your ears and make noise, that's not acting "obtuse" but it is juvenile.

It's germain and it's Transit news from the stand point that this early, early Fall, we are having severe traffic issues in almost all of the arteries. Now you can make believe this isn't true and and close your eyes, but this will impact Transit News and Happenings if it is ignored .

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 7th, 2012, 2:12 pm

This thread is clearly for discussing small happenings with mass transit. Bus stop changes, the U's nextbus system, etc etc.

While I'm sure any discussion of roads vs transit is sure to devolve into a shitshow, but this is clearly not the place for it.

And either you're illegitimately obtuse (slow to understand) and honestly don't see the difference, or you're being deliberately obtuse and trolling.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2012, 2:34 pm

I increasingly feel like Neville Chamberlain about this whole situation.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]