Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Public Transit News and Happenings

Postby xandrex » November 20th, 2014, 8:46 am

^Those ads have been on TV for the past few weeks and they're kind of clever, but also really, really strange.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 20th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Since it reminds people of Justin Timberlake's "Ville" sketches on SNL, may as well post this (I didn't realize they went back to 2003): http://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/J ... s-33108668

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 22nd, 2014, 6:09 pm

Not sure if this is a good spot to discuss this or not but I just left the downtown east station on a blue line, and there was only 1:11 between the green line and the blue line. I was pretty impressed to see the station so busy. I wonder if we'll have to add another track or 2 through downtown if another line gets built? (Besides bottineau and sw, being extensions of existing lines)

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 28th, 2014, 10:29 am

Service changes on Dec 13th:

Green Line: more early morning and late evening trips on weekdays.
3: More service to Kasota Ave
10/59: Reduced to every 12 min each during peak direction.
19: Sunday evenings improved to every 15-20 min.
23: Improved to every 20 min on Saturdays.
30: AM trips to serve Golden Valley Road now, ends at Westgate Stn instead of Raymond.
32: New Saturday service, every 30 min.
54: New 3:05 am trip from St. Paul to serve airport workers.
63: Grand Ave service reduced to every 20 min during rush hours, extended to Westgate Stn.
65: Sunday service reduced to 30 min frequency.
67: Sunday service reduced to 30 min frequency, Franklin service improved to 30 min frequency during midday Sunday.
87: Sunday service reduced to 30 min frequency.
275: Combined with 285 service to operate a 35E trunk route, serving new park and rides at 35E/CR 14 and 35E/CR E.
674: Extended to new Maple Plain P&R.

Minor changes on: Blue Line, Red Line, Northstar, 2, 7, 20, 21, 22, 46, 62, 71, 83, 84, 94, 134, 288, 355, 672, 675, 716, 766, 805, 831, 852, Maple Grove 781, Maple Grove 785, MVTA 436, MVTA 446, MVTA 470, MVTA 484.

http://www.metrotransit.org/these-route ... -on-dec-13

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 28th, 2014, 10:54 am

Service changes on Dec 13th:
Northstar: All trips serve Fridley Station.
Has that not been the case so far?
Not sure if this is a good spot to discuss this or not but I just left the downtown east station on a blue line, and there was only 1:11 between the green line and the blue line. I was pretty impressed to see the station so busy. I wonder if we'll have to add another track or 2 through downtown if another line gets built? (Besides bottineau and sw, being extensions of existing lines)
There's been discussion of that before, probably buried deep in the Green Line thread. I believe that the current rush-hour headways between the two lines are the maximum that the 5th st. tracks can handle without totally wrecking traffic on the cross streets, and that anything more will require another set of tracks, as you say. Hopefully done right (if expensively) with a tunnel. But that's 20 years out at a minimum.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 28th, 2014, 10:55 am

I believe that one NB PM trip on Northstar used to skip the Fridley Station because of the low ridership and delays at the yard that the station is in.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Street, Road and Highway Projects

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 30th, 2014, 12:11 am

Phone battery is gonna die at 1% and I'm on a late night layover on Nicollet Mall, so I'll be quick.

Why are all the ads on/in the buses nonprofit, government related, or institutional? Why no big buck high paying corporate advertisers inside the bus?

Edit: Moved to Public Transit News and Happenings due to an error in my haste.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 30th, 2014, 2:30 am

Obviously only poors ride (local route) buses.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » November 30th, 2014, 11:17 am

So don't you think McDonald's and Coca Cola would be all over it then?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 30th, 2014, 12:56 pm

You don't really see them advertising in the New York Subway or the Chicago L either. Even in NY, most of what you see are ads for shitty sitcoms, personal injury lawyers, and for-profit colleges.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 30th, 2014, 7:45 pm

I remember seeing a lot of liquor ads in trains in Chicago when I was there last

mulad

Postby mulad » December 1st, 2014, 9:23 am

Regarding the Northstar service to Fridley station -- Aside from Big Lake, it's the only station that only has a single track that can access the platform. The initial schedule had a conflict between the reverse-commute trip and one of the peak-direction trips (I think it was the second trip in the morning and the fourth trip in the evening), where the two were scheduled to arrive just a few minutes apart. That became difficult to serve without incurring delays, so if I remember correctly, they changed the schedule after several months or a year so the particular peak-direction trip would skip the station and allow the reverse-commute trip to access the station instead.

I suppose the schedules have lengthened just enough now so this isn't as big of a problem. In the morning, the second peak-direction trip is scheduled to reach Fridley at 6:23, while the reverse-commute trip is scheduled for 6:30. In the evening, the reverse-commute train is supposed to reach Fridley at 5:38, while the fourth peak-direction trip hits the station at 5:45.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » December 8th, 2014, 7:04 pm

These maps have started appearing at one end of each of the light rail vehicles. Don't really understand why they aren't at both ends (and at stations!) but it's a decent start, even if the maps have a lot of really weird issues with spacing and shape.

http://postimg.org/image/jkmb8yatn/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 8th, 2014, 10:31 pm

I just saw those tonight, but my phone was dead so I wasn't able to grab a picture. Hopefully they eventually show up at both ends of every vehicle, and stations, as you say. It's jst posting a big sticker, so hopefully it doesn't take as long as the interminable process of getting all the Bombardiers converted to the new destination signs.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 12th, 2014, 6:11 am

I'm relatively new to regular transit (bus) use. I just got on my eastbound 61 and it's done up for the holidays. Red, blue and yellow rope lights around the windows and the hand holds are candy striped. Is this normal??

Edit: photo
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/71255212@ ... 6/sizes/m/

Edit 2: apparently it is a promo by Metro Transit. They want you to take a selfie on the Festive Fleet, post it to social media and tag MT and you have a chance to win $50 Go To Card.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 12th, 2014, 8:23 am

They used to do this in cooperation with the holidazzle parade but since that's over i guess they are continuing the bus.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 12th, 2014, 8:55 am

I'm relatively new to regular transit (bus) use. I just got on my eastbound 61 and it's done up for the holidays. Red, blue and yellow rope lights around the windows and the hand holds are candy striped. Is this normal??
That is sadly very different from the 61 I usually take to get home. Mine is not festive at all.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » December 12th, 2014, 9:29 am

Edit: photo
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/71255212@ ... 6/sizes/m/

Edit 2: apparently it is a promo by Metro Transit. They want you to take a selfie on the Festive Fleet, post it to social media and tag MT and you have a chance to win $50 Go To Card.
I believe there is a vehicle on both the Blue and Green line as well decorated for the holidays.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 12th, 2014, 10:19 am

The blurb on the Metro Transit website says:

"Have you seen our festive fleet? We have two light-rail vehicles (one on each line), buses and a Northstar train decked out for the holidays! Be sure to snap a selfie if you find yourself on a bus or train decorated for the holidays—you may just win a Go-To Card!"

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » December 12th, 2014, 10:43 am

Awww, I ride the 61 every day I haven't caught this. I could really use fifty bucks, haha. I've seen one of the holiday trains pass by on the Blue Line.