Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Silophant

Re: Public Transit News / Current Events (MN only)

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Very curious to see if my employer will pass the Metropass savings on to me, or if they'll keep it in hopes that their employees won't notice.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 6th, 2021, 4:54 pm

That’s great news! I’m really hoping this Delta spike is not too high or it will squash ridership.

With hybrid work models, it might make sense to pay $1 per trip rather than getting an employer pass (even at 50% off).

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » August 7th, 2021, 9:40 am

How has ridership levels been recently, obviously there no where close to pre pandemic levels but I at least hope there better than during the height of the shutdown.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 10th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Bus Lane coming to 7th St in downtown Minneapolis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » August 10th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Why not 8th as well? Same layout, same services.

This is great, but also really late and not sufficient.

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » August 10th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Why not 8th as well? Same layout, same services.

This is great, but also really late and not sufficient.
Probably pushed now for implementation with the D line. But ya 8th Street is a huge need as well. The main thing I'd like to see them fix is the ramp a situation. I wonder if you could close off westbound 8th Street traffic. And have the ramp a exit traffic in what's currently the eastbound lane to the traffic light at 7th. Moving the current eastbound traffic into the left lane and make the right lane a bus lane with no right turns onto first Ave.

Cause coming out of that transit center is an absolute mess. And if that can be figured out it would be a huge boost to a critical portion of the rapid network.

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » August 11th, 2021, 11:51 am

Bus Lane coming to 7th St in downtown Minneapolis!
Is there a link for this flyer anywhere?

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » August 20th, 2021, 7:06 pm

MVTA service changes begin September 18th: https://www.mvta.com/news/mvta-announce ... n_VSMb7ktc

Route 410 (4Fun Bus) will be discontinued since it's a seasonal route. Would be interesting to know how it did in terms of ridership.

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 25th, 2021, 9:05 am

https://www.startribune.com/top-transit ... 600090695/

Senator Smith and FTA Administrator Nuria Fernandez touted the Infrastructure Bill yesterday in Minneapolis, and how the funding would help the Purple, Gold, Blue Line Ext, and Rochester BRT projects.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 31st, 2021, 1:47 pm

Does anyone know when Metro Transit plans to have all Route 7 trips extend to Cedar Point Commons in Richfield? Somewhat recently they extended the non-rush hour trips to 66th/Richfield Parkway, but not rush hour trips (ostensibly because there are other transfer options during rush hours?) Any chance this is part of the Orange Line service adjustment in December, since that's when the 515 will be changed to only have a single service pattern?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » August 31st, 2021, 1:50 pm

Does anyone know when Metro Transit plans to have all Route 7 trips extend to Cedar Point Commons in Richfield? Somewhat recently they extended the non-rush hour trips to 66th/Richfield Parkway, but not rush hour trips (ostensibly because there are other transfer options during rush hours?) Any chance this is part of the Orange Line service adjustment in December, since that's when the 515 will be changed to only have a single service pattern?
Yes this is happening Dec 4th with the Orange Line implementation!

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 17th, 2021, 10:31 pm

When are they going to bring back owl service on the green line :( I wanna take transit to the clubs already :cry:

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » September 18th, 2021, 8:16 am

Probably when we have a solution to the crime and the homeless on the train other than "not run the train".

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » September 18th, 2021, 2:07 pm

When are they going to bring back owl service on the green line :( I wanna take transit to the clubs already :cry:
Weekend owl service is doable. But beyond that either 3 lines or crossover tracks need to be implemented unless we want to fall behind in regular maintenance

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » September 18th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Weekend owl service is doable. But beyond that either 3 lines or crossover tracks need to be implemented unless we want to fall behind in regular maintenance
Why was this not an issue before the Covid cutbacks? Don't they usually just do a bus replacement when they need to do maintenance?

Trademark
US Bank Plaza

Postby Trademark » September 18th, 2021, 6:32 pm

Why was this not an issue before the Covid cutbacks? Don't they usually just do a bus replacement when they need to do maintenance?
If signal priority was granted to green line buses it would go about the same speed as trains. The maintenance demands of a train line that's brand new then one that's 7 years old. Plus the regular closing of trains between stations for 3 days at a time is worse then just closing down the line at night and gving the few dozen people who use it a fast bus route.

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » September 18th, 2021, 11:00 pm

If signal priority was granted to green line buses it would go about the same speed as trains. The maintenance demands of a train line that's brand new then one that's 7 years old. Plus the regular closing of trains between stations for 3 days at a time is worse then just closing down the line at night and gving the few dozen people who use it a fast bus route.
OK, then when will that late night bus (fast or otherwise) start running?

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » September 18th, 2021, 11:20 pm

Probably not anytime soon with Metro Transit’s driver shortage.

Scott Wood
Metrodome

Postby Scott Wood » September 19th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Probably not anytime soon with Metro Transit’s driver shortage.

Understandable, though it's still weird that all service in the LRT corridors ends an hour or two before many regular bus routes stop for the night.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » September 19th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Something else that feels weird: the 61 bus not running at all on Sundays, but the 71 Bus does. I wish the 61 got more love and attention from metro transit!