University and Central Improvements

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Austinite
Nicollet Mall

University and Central Improvements

Postby Austinite » November 2nd, 2020, 2:04 pm

Saw this a while ago.

MnDOT seeks community input about Central, University avenues in Twin Cities metro

https://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/news/ ... input.html

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: University and Central Improvements

Postby alexschief » November 2nd, 2020, 3:30 pm

Central is much wider than Hennepin. Wider sidewalks, bus lanes and curb-protected bike lanes should be the starting point here, and the rest should just be a negotiation between parking and left turn lanes.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 2nd, 2020, 4:18 pm

I used to live in the far North Metro and would bike parallel or on Central and University to the core of the city. It's really interesting to watch the character of the roads change from rural, to suburban to urban. University isn't too bad. Central is a darned mess outside of Mpls. Especially in Blaine and towards East Bethel. North of Blaine I consider it a "death road." MnDOT has been trying to fix it for years.

(They actually have videos of segments of each road so you can see the built environment changes.)

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » November 2nd, 2020, 8:51 pm

I'll have to take more time to read up on this, and look at the areas. I myself used to drive on both Central and University quite a bit when I lived in MN. I noticed before I moved, they are been starting to do some landscaping in the medians along University once you get into the Columbia Heights/Fridley area - trees, native grasses, etc. I do know that they desperately need to improve the bus infrastructure. I know that some bus stops are nothing more than a bench and a sign. Not handicapped accessible, sometimes not even shoveled/plowed during the winter months. Ridiculous. I really wish Metro would invest in the northern burbs. I know they seem heavily used along University and Central.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » November 2nd, 2020, 8:52 pm

A BRT route seems what's needed - fewer stops, nicer stations, faster service.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » November 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am

It is on the aBRT list for what looks like the 10U route. Blaine has lots of traffic on Central. I wonder if a local route would be of some benefit there? Blaine has some density, but little transit. Central Ave is what happens when you keep building single family homes with no transit or TOD. It's just a snarled sprawl.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » November 14th, 2020, 2:47 pm

https://www.startribune.com/pedestrian- ... 573064482/

If I have the location right, this is where University and Highway 47 split near Northtown Mall. Looking at the location on Street View, I see a desire path cutting through tall grass from Target/Springbrook Mall to the intersection where she was hit. Seems like a good location for a pedestrian bridge since I think it's too wide and traffic going too fast for a crosswalk to be a safe enough option.