Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby MNdible » September 28th, 2015, 9:41 am

The bridge designs over the Kenilworth Channel were approved by the MPRB.

Seems like a good compromise. Three separate bridges for bike/ped, LRT, and freight. The clearspan arches nicely reference other nearby bridges without being ticky-tacky faux historical. The freight bridge will have piers in the river, presumably due to higher loads.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2015, 10:02 am

I like the designs, but:

"Low walls at each edge of the LRT bridge to contain noise generated from light rail vehicle wheels."

It's a straight shot, right? There will be hardly any noise at all. I'm not strenuously objecting or anything but it just seems a little silly.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 28th, 2015, 10:13 am

I like the designs, but:

"Low walls at each edge of the LRT bridge to contain noise generated from light rail vehicle wheels."

It's a straight shot, right? There will be hardly any noise at all. I'm not strenuously objecting or anything but it just seems a little silly.
I rolled my eyes and thought the same thing! People are dumb. The freight rail that moves through this corridor is far more noisy and disruptive. But reality hasn't been this area's stronghold.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 28th, 2015, 10:22 am

It would probably send the nearby residents into apoplexy, but maybe they should try to accommodate a trail down at channel level that would sneak underneath the bridges? It could connect up from Dean Parkway to the public trail that circumnavigates Cedar Lake.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » September 28th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Although the Park Board does own some narrow (and I mean NARROW...only 10ft wide in spots) strips of land along both the Cedar Lake shore and along the channel, they don't own enough to do what MNdible suggests. In particular: the south side of the channel between the railroad and Burnham Rd is all privately owned. There would also be wetlands and water runoff issues along the whole thing.

The only potential path along the channel that I could see being even remotely feasible (given land ownership and available space) is along the south side of Kenilworth Pl west of Lake of the Isles Pkwy and connecting to the Kenilworth Trail on the north side of the channel. This could POSSIBLY be extended underneath the bridges similar to what MNdible suggests, but you could only get it as far as Burnham Rd.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 28th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Yeah, I was mostly joking.
It could connect up from Dean Parkway to the public trail that circumnavigates Cedar Lake.
Thought that would be a dead give away.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » September 28th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I was using the rationale that Cedar Lake Pkwy + Cedar Lake Trail + Kenilworth Trail = circumnavigating the lake...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2015, 3:31 pm

Yeah, I was mostly joking.
It could connect up from Dean Parkway to the public trail that circumnavigates Cedar Lake.
Thought that would be a dead give away.
Seriously though, when are we going to finish that path?

I'm sick of dock squatters.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2015, 3:33 pm

New flyover video

The first one has 32,000 views

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 28th, 2015, 4:08 pm

***those views are mostly from me.

I actually kinda liked that concept that looked like it was screened with wood, but at this point *shrugs emoji* of course.

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 28th, 2015, 4:46 pm

The video makes much more clear just how many bridges are being built south of Shady Oak Station.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 28th, 2015, 9:23 pm

http://www.metrocouncil.org/Council-Mee ... T-ppt.aspx

Update given to the Met Council Transportation Committee. Shows some station design renderings.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » September 30th, 2015, 4:12 pm

New flyover video

The first one has 32,000 views
Cool video,I can't wait for this one.
Meet me in Wells

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 31st, 2015, 2:00 pm

An in-depth article about the upcoming showdown between SouthWest Transit and SWLRT.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 31st, 2015, 2:52 pm

It's an interesting article, but I'm struck by the comparison they didn't make -- nobody seriously proposed shutting down the 94 bus service when the Green Line opened up. Sure, there's some overlap between the services, but they're really not intended to serve the same roles.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 31st, 2015, 3:02 pm

Yeah. There is a case to be made any reasonably sited corridor can have an express service and a separate local service. Express may be a premier need to shave time, so is an HOV lane with the pass.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 1st, 2015, 2:06 pm

So do they really over lap that much? Is SW mainly just an express bus out to EP's SW station and not much else? Never taken it so I'm not sure if they have stops elsewhere along the trip into MPLS?

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » November 1st, 2015, 4:13 pm

SW Transit is a commuter orientated bus service. There are a few different lines:

690, 691, 692, 697, 699 - peak hour service from park and rides at SW Station, SW Village (212 and 101), Chanhassen Station (Hwy 5 and 101), East Creek Station (212 and 41), Carver Station (212 somewhere in Carver) and a couple minor stops in Chaska. Also there is some service to various neighborhoods in EP.

694 - SW Station to Best Buy and Normandale CC. This runs every 2 hours or so all day.

687 - 212 corridor to Target North Campus.

684 - Reverse Commute from Minneapolis and Southdale to Golden Triangle and industrial areas in Chanhassen and Chaska.

695 - 212 corridor to U of M

698 - midday/evening service to/from 212 corridor and Chanhassen Station to Minneapolis and U of M

Prime - Weekday dial a ride service in EP, Chanhassen, and Chaska.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 2nd, 2015, 11:19 am

It's an interesting article, but I'm struck by the comparison they didn't make -- nobody seriously proposed shutting down the 94 bus service when the Green Line opened up. Sure, there's some overlap between the services, but they're really not intended to serve the same roles.
IIRC, they did reduce service hours on the 94, though.

But I agree, it's not necessarily conflicting service. But we *do* want Southwest Transit to provide local service to get people from SWLRT to/from places in EP. If their running express service cuts into their ability to do that, some choices will have to be made. And I'm pretty sure I know which choices SWT wants to make.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 2nd, 2015, 12:00 pm

Sure.

But as the article underlines, running suburban circulator service requires massive subsidies. Like, truly astonishing subsidies. Like, we'd really in this case actually be better off just paying for people's cab fares subsidies. Like, almost (but not quite) as bad as Northstar subsidies.