Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Southwest Corridor (Green Line Extension)

Postby Nick » June 2nd, 2014, 5:03 pm

All great material for my upcoming Southwest Corridor board game adaptation.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 3rd, 2014, 9:44 am

I knew someone who lived here, they are nothing beyond ordinary.
Very true! My brother & his wife lived in these apartments in 1997... they weren't very special then, and I'm certainly they aren't now - with 20 more years of aging. I live less than 50 feet from the light rail tracks in S. Mpls... the line certainly hasn't inconvenienced me or driven down my property value. So dumb. :roll:

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 3rd, 2014, 12:00 pm

They've evidently been renovated since then, so they may not be as you remember.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 3rd, 2014, 1:12 pm

They've evidently been renovated since then, so they may not be as you remember.
Who really cares? (if the building has or hasn't been renovated) Most every building along the green line's path can claim that then... so to me, this is just pure stupidity. I say let them try and sue - and then let the judge throw it out!

The fact that this apartment will be close to two stops will help in their marketing and sales - that's undeniable. Will it change the fabric of the neighborhood? Of course! Will certain people not like it? Absolutely! But that doesn't mean the line should be moved to accommodate the building owners.

mellwood
Block E

Postby mellwood » June 3rd, 2014, 1:45 pm

I knew I've heard of those apartments before...
http://www.startribune.com/local/west/229181371.html

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 3rd, 2014, 3:44 pm

Hopkins is having its public hearing for municipal consent tonight at 7:00pm.

http://www.hopkinsmn.com/council/meetings/agenda.php

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 3rd, 2014, 4:00 pm

I'm going

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 3rd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Lots of people that seemed to be in favor. The man who built up those apartments would like the line to be placed away from the pool house they just built 3 years ago because the train will come within 25' of it. 5 people had a chance to talk, me included. 4-1 in favor of it. The one man who was against it claimed that this would only increase traffic on our highways and that it is a giant waste of money as he claimed only 10% of people work in downtown and that it will not server our other 90%. He lives in Hopkins, works in Plymouth and would not even be using the rail, doesn't even live near the line. Just opposed. The 4 of us who were strongly in favor of it claimed that it will serve the community for years causing growth economically and population wise, one woman had moved to Hopkins for the reason of rail. The other man there has lived in Hopkins 19 years and said that he originally moved there for a starter home but stayed due to the amount of things that have happened in Hopkins such as theater, new apartments, new parks, bike trails, etc. and he would love to stay and see light rail WORK!

Anondson
IDS Center

Southwest Corridor (Green Line Extension)

Postby Anondson » June 3rd, 2014, 7:35 pm

I was there off to the side, didn't rise to speak because I've seen the writing on the wall from past council session in Hopkins, the council and city staff are extremely favoring this line. Grant was easily the youngest speaker, it was worth having someone rise and speak towards not just the work commuters but the likely university student commuters. I've already spoken my history with this line to the council in the past and I'd just be repeating, and I'd rather submit my comments in writing. Gives me a chance to edit for clarity. :)

I stayed longer because after the public hearing the council was meeting to see final designs for the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District's construction of the redesigned Cottageville Park. It's one of the handful of things Hopkins is putting attention on towards improving the Blake Station area. Improving quality of life for current very low income residents and making future development more attractive along Blake Road. Good stuff, construction bids going out soon and construction should begin this year.
Last edited by Anondson on June 3rd, 2014, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 3rd, 2014, 7:36 pm

Hey! I'm Grant!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 3rd, 2014, 11:04 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/261759521.html
Jerry Kavan, who owns the Claremont Apartments, said 171 units that face Opus Hill pay extra for the view. Under current plans, the train would pass 89 to 120 feet from the apartments, obstructing the view and adding noise, light and vibration that could drive those residents out.

“We view this as pretty devastating to our property,” Kavan said.

So he’s leading a push for an alternate route that would arc out, on pylons, into a nearby wetland — adding a station and about a minute of travel time.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 4th, 2014, 5:50 am

Is the best course if action here just to completely ignore this?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 4th, 2014, 6:35 am

We clearly need a $160M tunnel here.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 4th, 2014, 6:52 am

http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2014/ ... etonka-too

Now, with artist's rendering! How much would it cost to hire your own engineering firm to study alternatives? Note the comment from a resident.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » June 4th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Nothing says luxury like carpet and laminate!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 4th, 2014, 1:32 pm

The argument about the light-rail ruining the view is a pretty poor one. There's pretty much nothing that will happen about that. I think that something could end up being done about vibrations, though. Met Council has already made concessions about vibrations along the Central Corridor, and I wouldn't be completely surprised if there was some compensation in this case.

I agree about adding a station in the area, or even just the electrical work for a future station. The neighborhood is almost completely apartments and townhouses, and walk-up light rail access will be very beneficial. Considering 21st St was dropped, a new station isn't going to have significant operational changes, but I imagine funding may be an issue.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 4th, 2014, 2:11 pm

Yeah, not to hate on this guy but he owns so many apartments and complexes there it sounds like he just doesn't want to risk price reductions of like maybe 100 $ on the apartments rent. He came there with some fancy business woman to prove his point.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 4th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I agree completely that considerations/infrastructure for a future station should be made in this area. It would almost certainly not be in the bottom 5 of ridership along the line.

We have got to kill that northern tunnel in Kenlinworth to make the rest of the line work. Things like grade separation at Beltline should absolutely still be on the table. Re-killing the Mitchell Rd Station for cost savings (or grade separation elsewhere) should be on the table as well. What happened to CTIB being all serious about wanting to get the budget down to around $1.5B?? The northern tunnel and Mitchell Station would be a good start.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » June 4th, 2014, 2:15 pm

Yeah, not to hate on this guy but he owns so many apartments and complexes there it sounds like he just doesn't want to risk price reductions of like maybe 100 $ on the apartments rent. He came there with some fancy business woman to prove his point.
A business model?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » June 4th, 2014, 2:16 pm

I can understand vibration mitigation for MPR or research at the U or other highly sensitive technological reasons. But vibration mitigation for apartments, even luxury ones? Not even in the slightest bit worth it.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.