Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Tcmetro » March 30th, 2017, 9:27 am

The letter from the GOP to the federal government might be a moot point if Trump gets his way in modifying the 2017 budget.
http://t4america.org/2017/03/29/trump-a ... mediately/

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 30th, 2017, 10:34 am

They're just going all-out-crazy, aren't they.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » March 30th, 2017, 12:53 pm

This is just outright economic warfare.

nerdljos
City Center

Postby nerdljos » March 30th, 2017, 7:38 pm

They're just going all-out-crazy, aren't they.
I'm immediately skeptical of any argument that ends with, "my side is reasonable and willing to have 'tough' discussions but whoa that other side is all crazies that only cares about themselves and they are ignorant to boot."

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 30th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Good one. We all make mistakes. I humbly accept the criticism.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » March 31st, 2017, 12:24 am

Huh? We're talking about efforts to immediately torpedo long-planned infrastructure projects for no good reason. Yes, it's completely 'crazy'. No better word for it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 4th, 2017, 8:13 am

FTA has extended the timeline for a decision on the federal funding grant agreement to December (it was July), for a couple of reasons:
1. The CTIB breakup situation remains unsettled, so the question of using Certificates of Participation as a local funding source is still unclear (if CTIB breaks up, Hennepin County will instead fill that funding gap directly and the Met Council can avoid issuing the CoPs)
2. The assumption on operating funding has always been that the state will pick up 50% of the cost, as they have done for the existing lines. The legislature is has passed transportation bills that state otherwise.

While Dayton is sure to veto the current GOP transportation bills, I just don't see the GOP agreeing to any compromise bill that leaves the state on the hook for operating costs. There are so many other battles that Dayton has to fight on the transportation bill, not to mention the whole state budget in general, that I don't think operating costs for Southwest is a hill he's willing to die on. CTIB really needs to break up and Hennepin will need to fully fund the operating costs for Southwest (and Bottineau). Honestly, they should have been planning on this all along.
Mark Fuhrmann, the Met Council’s program director for rail projects, said Monday that he still expects Southwest construction to begin this year in advance of the federal funding agreement.
The council can make that happen by getting FTA approval for a “Letter of No Prejudice,” which essentially allows the project team to use local funding sources as front money to proceed with limited scopes of work, he said.
Fuhrmann remains optimistic that the federal funds will come through.
“We are in contact with the FTA on a regular basis,” he said. “What we have heard from them is they are prepared to continue to work with us to advance the project.”

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 4th, 2017, 9:24 am

I thought the deadline for the CTIB has passed. I thought the break up was off the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » April 4th, 2017, 11:16 am

I believe they can pass another resolution if they feel a deal can be made. The March 30th deadline was self-imposed.

I'll be emailing McLaughlin about getting this done. SWLRT just cannot keep getting delayed.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » April 4th, 2017, 1:26 pm

We need to get the full funding grant agreement before Trump passes his new budget. This makes it even more urgent that the county transit improvement for disband as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 1st, 2017, 9:57 am

Federal budget compromise makes funding for Southwest light rail official
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... l-official
Officials at the Metropolitan Council had been optimistic that the full-funding grant agreement would be reached this year. President Donald Trump’s budget blueprint injected some level of uncertainty: he proposed to cut funding for the feds’ so-called New Starts program, which funds SWLRT and other transit projects.

Republican negotiators in D.C. did not see those cuts through to the budget agreement, and agreed to provide over $1.6 billion to New Starts programs.
It's finally over.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 1st, 2017, 10:00 am

I'll believe that when I see construction mobilize. This is a good sign, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 1st, 2017, 10:00 am

Still needs to be signed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 1st, 2017, 11:13 am

A good sign, but we're not out of (the tunnel under) the woods yet.

Once the FFGA is signed, you can rest easy. In the meantime, you still have two big unanswered questions:
1) The GOP-led MN legislature has passed bills with major cuts to current levels of operating dollars for bus and LRT. And they propose to prohibit operating $ for any new LRT lines. We could be headed for a government shutdown at the end of this month if Dayton and the GOP can't find compromise on the budget.
2) Status on the CTIB breakup is still unclear. At this moment it's still dead or on hold, pending Dakota County's planned exit at the end of 2018. If CTIB can't break up sooner, Met Council is stuck using the Certificates of Participation to fund part of the local share. Literally no one wants that stopgap measure to be used. The CTIB breakup and $0.25 increase (effective July 1, 2017) would have allowed Hennepin County to fill that gap, instead of Met Council issuing the CoPs, which will cause the organization other budgetary issues due to higher interest rates. The Feds are still waiting on a final answer on the interrelated issues of CTIB and CoPs. Ideally we would settle all of that before the FFGA.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 1st, 2017, 11:23 am

3) somewhat related to 2, but more pressing: the MNGOP has proposed (though I'm not sure if it's included in any bills still) stripping the Met Council of the ability to pay for LRT using CoPs. Which, even if they're not optimal to use due to higher debt costs, the Met Council (and counties, etc) would likely still prefer that to nothing.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 1st, 2017, 11:33 am

What's really worrying is Dayton's apparently willingness to compromise on a lot of important stuff. He's signaled support for preemption and increased protest penalties. The only thing I've heard on transportation is his willingness to abandon a gas tax. While that's expected, it's really unclear what his views on policy are. I would suggest we all call his office and tell him funding for transit, including SWLRT needs to be a top priority. He cannot compromise that away.

And tell him to oppose preemption, increased protest penalties and a whole bunch of other *really* bad policy headed his way.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 1st, 2017, 12:20 pm

2) Status on the CTIB breakup is still unclear. At this moment it's still dead or on hold, pending Dakota County's planned exit at the end of 2018.
It sounded pretty firmly dead to me when I talked to Jim McDonough (Ramsey County Comissioner) this weekend.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 1st, 2017, 12:34 pm

Seems pretty foolish to not be willing to pick talks up again once Dakota isn't there to throw a wrench in the works.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 1st, 2017, 1:01 pm

Well Ramsey county will need Hennepin's help to get anything built, and they're hoping to get a CTIB increase from the legislature (odds of the DFL doing well next year are decent). If 2018 doesn't go well I would imagine they'll revisit disbanding once Dakota County is gone.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 1st, 2017, 3:15 pm

Sounds like a mess. Anybody have a guesstimate of the current chances for seeing SWLRT make it through all of this? The actions from the right are infuriating me, but that's not a new trend.