Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby DanPatchToget » May 18th, 2016, 9:39 am

Taking a look back at how far this project has come:
http://sailor.mnsun.com/2016/05/17/form ... n-the-80s/

http://tcmedianow.com/video/wcco-tv-noo ... ny-parker/ (Skip to 9:30)

At least Kurt Daudt is honest in saying he wants to kill this project, but I will be honest in saying I hope his political career will be dead. 30 years of planning and work and he thinks he can just step in and say "Nope, complete waste of money. But lets keep building new roads and bridges!"

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 18th, 2016, 9:53 am

Daudt represents St. Francis, which means his constituents are likely all people who commute 80 miles a day on MN65 and don't want any increase in the metro sales tax since they shop there on the way home to the boondocks. Not only will this not damage his career in the eyes of his district, it'll probably help him come re-election.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 18th, 2016, 11:01 am

Daudt represents St. Francis, which means his constituents are likely all people who commute 80 miles a day on MN65 and don't want any increase in the metro sales tax since they shop there on the way home to the boondocks. Not only will this not damage his career in the eyes of his district, it'll probably help him come re-election.
True, this is the heart of Michele Bachmann territory... plus he had no DFL challenger in 2014!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » May 18th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Yay, another lawsuit:

m.startribune.com/suit-sw-light-rail-project-too-noisy-for-1-000-residents-in-hopkins-minnetonka/379972211/?section=%2F

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 18th, 2016, 12:30 pm

The company that runs hundreds of townhouses and apartments along the SWLRT in south Hopkins/Mntka that begged for an LRT station on Smetana, now suing over LRT making too much noise by the townhouses and apartments.

http://m.startribune.com/suit-sw-light- ... ection=%2F

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 24th, 2016, 10:42 pm

Good CAC meeting tonight. First one I've been to in months due to lack of a car.

We got confirmation that Daudt did indeed go back on his word with the bonding bill amendment.

Staff showed pictures of decorative panels that will be installed at each station. They look gorgeous. Snow-Kreilich designed them. They are also designing the OMF.

I don't think I've ever been excited for an OMF before!

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » May 25th, 2016, 12:41 pm

All because Daudt did a stupid thing and put his empty promises into a text message. If you are going to go back on your word, you need to leave less documentation.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 25th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Right, but we were talking about Hennepin County being allowed to go up to 20% for SWLRT, the purported provision left out of the GOP bonding bill. Can you find any language anywhere stating that Hennepin County may or may not exceed 10%?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 25th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I asked at the CAC meeting and CM Munt said the county needs legislative approval. Though no one including staff could cite the statute. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 25th, 2016, 8:40 pm

CAC meeting presentation is up, including the panel designs.

http://metrocouncil.org/getdoc/a495200c ... ation.aspx

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 25th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Those panels are quite classy. I like when the stations also use the map panel among them. And thumbs up to hinting at the history of the Downtown Hopkins station by using the gears,(Minneapolis Moline).

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » May 27th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Daudt is apparently willing to add transit provision to bonding bill if Hennepin County covers the states share of the operating costs as well as capital costs. Still would like to know where it says that Hennepin can't contribute more then 10%. Also is the state currently on the hook to cover half the operating subsidy or that just what was originally planned?

http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/404209 ... nding-bill
Daudt said Thursday he’s now willing to consider adding the transit provision in the bonding bill if Hennepin County not only takes on the capital costs of the Southwest Light Rail but also the operating costs.

"If we can do those two things, then I think this thing could move really quickly,” Daudt said. “I think we’re open to it."

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 27th, 2016, 12:48 pm

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 7th, 2016, 8:20 am

On Mpls' TPW Committee agenda today, city staff's comments on the final EIS: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 180951.pdf

I don't think there's anything new here, but interesting nonetheless.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2016, 12:34 pm

That's quite a read!

I didn't know that the reason why most new transit lines seem to SKIP dense corridors is because of some Bush-era rule stating that "new ridership" was only measured as the incremental increase in ridership (and does not count the existing transit ridership). That explains why so many of these models seem to prefer the most suburban/redevelop-able routes, and why SWLRT is bypassing places like Uptown.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 7th, 2016, 3:32 pm

This guy
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 7th, 2016, 3:37 pm

No matter how one feels about SWLRT, it is a good case study of presidential power. A president can't directly enact law but gets to interpret and execute it, which is its own power. One should be reminded of the old adage about counting votes.

This is why regular pronouncements of "these two presidential candidates don't differ at all!" are not only uninformed, but dangerous.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 7th, 2016, 10:50 pm

This guy
What, me? That's the first time I've heard that, here or elsewhere. Sorry if it was totes obvs.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 11th, 2016, 8:55 am

http://m.startribune.com/on-politically ... 386224721/

Just found this article in the Minneapolis Star tribune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 11th, 2016, 1:10 pm

This pisses me off -- I'm so sick and tired of the political "gridlock" (more like cock block) in this region and nationally halting progress, particularly with transit. We really are falling way behind the rest of our growing, progressive "peer" cities. I mean $50-something BILLION dedicated to mass transit in Seattle?! Why is it this hard to procure the $135 million here to make the next logical expansion in our regional rail network. I'd literally pay twice as much of our share of these costs to support these initiatives, and leave the non-supporters in the dust. Yes, the SWLRT corridor could be better, but it's so much better than nothing at all.