MSP Airport / Metropolitan Airports Commission

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
MNdible
is great.

Re: MSP Airport

Postby MNdible » January 28th, 2016, 9:31 pm

I've seen this list before -- can't find it now -- but can confirm that MSP runs a very tight ship, and outperforms a lot of the competition, which is pretty impressive considering the amount of snow removal and weather related pavement maintenance that they need to do.

mulad

Postby mulad » January 28th, 2016, 10:50 pm

This is what I was thinking of, from 2011. Nate Silver claimed that MSP tickets cost $64 more than what was "fair":
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... air-fares/

But according to this ranking from last year, MSP seems to be toward the cheaper end of the scale, so I dunno:
http://www.cheapflights.com/news/2015-a ... ty-report/

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » January 29th, 2016, 9:14 am

Just speaking from my own purchasing experience, I believe MSP has been lower with airfares since airlines like Spirit and Southwest moved in. I can fly for a heavy travel season (Spring Break) on Southwest for far less than Delta and the planes are packed - no bag fees. But as for what is "fair," it comes down to what you feel is an appropriate price you are willing to pay and finding that option, I suppose.
Additionally, regarding SEA/PDX and Sun Country's recent addition to PDX, I have found SEA for under $300 when PDX was over $700. Nice 2.5 hour drive on scenic I-5 will get you to PDX.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 29th, 2016, 9:19 am

Taking the light rail to King St Station will get you to the Cascades which will get you to Portland as well. Think intermodal!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 29th, 2016, 10:22 am

This is what I was thinking of, from 2011. Nate Silver claimed that MSP tickets cost $64 more than what was "fair":
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... air-fares/

But according to this ranking from last year, MSP seems to be toward the cheaper end of the scale, so I dunno:
http://www.cheapflights.com/news/2015-a ... ty-report/
Yeah, but that's really apples and oranges. One is how much MSP charges airlines to use the facility (which is comparatively low), and the other is how much airlines (and historically, this has meant Delta) charge their passengers. Delta's pricing power here (and a strong corporate sector willing to pay top dollar for short-notice non-stop flights) combined with MSP's low charges makes this a very profitable operation for them, which is at least part of the reason that the MSP hub has held its own while Memphis and Cincinnati have not.

The Spirits and the Allegiants are mostly stealing (or creating) flyers that Delta would really rather not have anyway -- people who will only fly if it's cheap.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » January 29th, 2016, 6:39 pm

What airlines all fly to Seattle? Any tend to be cheaper? Do they ever get much below $300?
Delta, Alaska and Sun Country. I fly this route about twice a year, and I rarely pay much less than $300. I would say that it is common for Sun Country to be a little cheaper than Delta and Alaska.
My flickr photos.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 1st, 2016, 3:26 pm

Good to know. $308 or 333 round trip for Friday-Tuesday Memorial Day weekend seems too good to pass up so I think I'm gonna book it. It'll cost a little extra if I want to come back Monday. I always figure you might as well stay the extra night rather than waste it on a flight.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 5th, 2016, 11:08 am

Delta enlists MN politicians in ridiculous attempt to stop further liberalization of Haneda.

http://www.startribune.com/dayton-senat ... 367756511/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 5th, 2016, 11:14 am

I'm embarrassed that they're doing Delta's bidding. If Delta axes the Tokyo-NRT scissor hub (it's already cut in half from the Northwest days) and only keeps a few O&D destinations to Tokyo-HND... there's still demand for MSP-East Asia. Granted, Shanghai is in a geographically less-than-ideal location for NA-Asia connections. MSP-Japan/Korea/Beijing/etc would require backtracking. Best case is they repair their relationship with Korean Air and we get a flight to Seoul instead.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 5th, 2016, 11:41 am

Or instead of connecting in NRT, Minnesota business people connect in SFO or SEA, maybe even on other airlines :)

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 5th, 2016, 4:05 pm

I think the whole idea is to have nonstop flights to Asia.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 18th, 2016, 11:02 am

http://m.startribune.com/tokyo-agreemen ... n=business

Looks like we're going to lose nonstop service to Asia :(

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » February 18th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Per MPR "only about two dozen people a day from the Twin Cities fly that route"

People will have to connect in other places like Seattle or San Francisco, and (horrors!) maybe on other airlines, if they want one-stop flights to wherever they were going after Tokyo.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/02/18 ... kyo-flight

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

What Delta doesn't say is that the MSP-Tokyo route is by far one of their most lucrative routes. It would suck to lose a non-stop to Narita, but I do think Delta will figure out another option for MSP.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 18th, 2016, 4:55 pm

I don't believe only 24 people use that route each day. They'd never fly the plane if that was the average load.

*Edit: I misinterpreted that statement.....only two dozen passengers from the TWIN CITIES use that route each day, and the rest come from other destinations. That's still strange though.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » February 18th, 2016, 7:14 pm

http://m.startribune.com/tokyo-agreemen ... n=business

Looks like we're going to lose nonstop service to Asia :(
We haven't lost anything. It's only a possibility. As of right now Delta has no plans to end the route.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » February 27th, 2016, 11:16 am

What's this new security checkpoint change that MPR is saying basically destroyed everything? I'm flying back in a couple weeks and need to know what to steel myself for.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » February 27th, 2016, 2:41 pm

What's this new security checkpoint change that MPR is saying basically destroyed everything? I'm flying back in a couple weeks and need to know what to steel myself for.
It's spring break. That is causing long lines. A new security checkpoint just opened after a year long process of consolidating security checkpoints began. The press is having a field day feasting on our populaces simple thinking. They are trying to equate fewer checkpoints with creating longer security lines. In reality, it's spring break and lines are really long at peak departure times.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » February 27th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I've just flown out of MSP today. Yes the line is longer and you can't see the checkpoints themselves when you get in them, which fills one with dread. But they really fly. I think I was in line for about 10 min.

froggie
Rice Park

Postby froggie » February 27th, 2016, 4:24 pm

10 minutes isn't bad. I've seen reports from other airports of delays pushing an hour.